The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Love his game but seriously he logged 9 minutes in his first game and 8 and a half in his second game. I think for the sake of his development he's better off in the WHL. Send the kid down already! Let him play over 20 minutes a game on the top line top PP hone his offensive talents and work on some confidence.

Love his game but seriously he logged 9 minutes in his first game and 8 and a half in his second game. I think for the sake of his development he's better off in the WHL. Send the kid down already! Let him play over 20 minutes a game on the top line top PP hone his offensive talents and work on some confidence.

Jake is making the team. Hes physically ready for 4th line duty and WillyD said hes real, real good in his presser. So if WilleD likes him hes pretty much a lock.

All we can do is hope. One thing is that we have to remember how young he is. In my view what we're seeing compared to his age only heightens his upside.

Yes but I would like to give him his best chance. He is young that why I feel like part of his game really needs to be developed in JR still.

The beauty of developing Jake is his ability to move up and down the lineup and play in different roles. Regardless of where he slots in, he's going to look to lay a big hit and rip the puck on net. He can do that anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th line.

When he starts to work his way up the lineup will be when he starts to develop chemistry with certain linemates and plays start to come together, that result in points. Conditioning will also be a factor.

He's basically the right wing version of Bo, and not many people have a problem with his development do they? From 4th to 2nd in a year is a realistic goal for Jake too.

I dont think Jake or Bo are similar except in the sense they were both kids in Men bodies.

I hope your other points are right.

But I have a feeling he will be going back down to JR after his 9 games and McCann staying up.

Unless Management feels Calgary wont use him right which would be a shame.

Cause I truly think a year of Junior used properly and a WJC where he plays a top 6 role would be huge for his overall game.

My thoughts.

Deja vu...

Does anyone have concerns that Jakes hasnt been the go to guy on a team offensively?

In both Calgary and the World JRs.

Calgary: Secondary Scoring because of the teams politics.

World Jrs: Stacked team and he was a youngin

I think hes clearly physically ready for the show but I am still hesitant that a another year in Jr would be awesome for him, to truly lead his team be the go to guy and dominate.

Do we think he will develop into a top line forward while hes never played one in JR and develop him as a grinder?

Of course I could be wrong and who knows, but I am concerned.

Perhaps JB and Co dont trust Calgary to deploy him right and they think he will develop better with the big boys though.

Our club needs JV to become a top line forward though.

Nice post. IT may be less of a concern because of Virt's 45 goals in his draft year, but I do sometimes wonder if a dominant scoring year in the dub this season might be good for Virt in the long-term, even though he is probably good enough to help the Canucks this season.

Edited by tyhee

Jeremy Davis @jeremydavis89 2h2 hours ago

Jake Virtanen is currently leading the #Canucks in Shots, Fenwick, Corsi and Scoring Chances per 60 minutes

CanucksArmy seems to have warmed a bit towards Virtanen of late, perhaps as resignation that he's our pick and Ehlers/Nylander aren't. Numbers like these should help grease the skids into general acceptance.

But also need to consider, he does take quite a few shots from the outside and typically gets them on net, so that skews the #geekstats.

CanucksArmy seems to have warmed a bit towards Virtanen of late, perhaps as resignation that he's our pick and Ehlers/Nylander aren't. Numbers like these should help grease the skids into general acceptance.

But also need to consider, he does take quite a few shots from the outside and typically gets them on net, so that skews the #geekstats.

Ya, I hate it when a guy gets his shots on net. ;)

• Upvote 1