The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

2 goals in an exhibition game.

Your "Pricness" Nylander is only leading the AHL in points. That's pretty damn unheard of from a 19 year old. Say what you want about the 6th pick and what should have been done, but you have to give credit to Nylander.

Don't forget all the hate and "sister" talk the Sedins got when they broke into the league.

Bit ironic isn't it, calling a skilled Swedish player a girl? Show some class you disrespectful pigs, because you're ragging on a player very similar to the greatest two Canucks to ever play the game.

Haha yeah. 

Let me know when Nylander nears the Sedins point totals and is considered a future hall of fame inductee

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Just saying, if you're hating on Nylander for being "soft" I think it's bloody ironic because the Canucks best two players in franchise history were "soft Swedes" when they broke into the league. 

It's almost as if you hate Nylander, you hate Henrik Sedin. I don't see much of a difference between the two when they were drafted. Pretty un-Canuck like and stupidly ironic. All Henrik and Daniel did were fight off those sterotypes quietly and slowly gain respect over two decades. Now watch Nylander do the same.

I don't think anyone here actually HATES Nylander as a person, they just hate:

1. The team that drafted him.

2. The fact that he's the go-to comparison for Virtanen haters/doubters.

I'm just sitting here, glad that this club is getting back to a drafting type culture. I like all of our prospects, and want all of them to do great for us. There's time for debating the ups and downs of the picks in the future if you ask me....

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay If we all need to have patience then why do you bother criticizing him?  You, me and others criticize him when he does not do well so I don't really see the dilemma here?  In fact, since we all need to have patience let's just shut down the prospects thread completely.  

I don't expect him to be an effective player right away, but I expect him to work harder and maybe produce some damn offense once in awhile and I;m going to say this for the last time..I watched hikm play plenty last year in Calgary and I wasn't all that impressed there either and why wouldn't I be upset that our 6th overall player can't do diddly squat at the pro level yet.  Look at the state of this franchise, look at our drafting history.  Why wouldn't I be upset that we didn't pick a player who I see has elite level potential with our earliest pick since the Sedins?  

He can't do "diddly-squat" at the pro level? Ok....If you lack patience, that's your problem, not Jake's or anyone else's. That's no reason to get upset at him with the current state of the team. I've already accepted and come to terms with the inevitability that there will probably be a difficult few seasons for this team in it's transition from the Sedin era to a new one.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay If we all need to have patience then why do you bother criticizing him?  You, me and others criticize him when he does not do well so I don't really see the dilemma here?  In fact, since we all need to have patience let's just shut down the prospects thread completely.  

Constructive criticism yes, but what happens is the hand-wringers come out and start calling him a bust, a hitter-only with "brutal IQ", and that we blew the draft and should have drafted someone else.  Big difference between the two.  I can only imagine how Guy Lafleur would have been treated on here under the same circumstances, and he went #1 overall.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

...turn down for what?

....is "wait for what?" on CDC....

I went through all this last year with all the Horvat nay sayer's...then after xmas everybody shut up and turn faced 180 degree's...

...just the way it is around here.

Yup, won't be much different here, but will probably take a bit longer for Jake as Bo had a more mature game coming in.

• Upvote 1

At what age or stat line would you accept JV as a suitable pick in the 2014 draft #6?

There has to be a number for everyone that's pi$$ing their pants over this 19 yr. old. 

What are your numbers?

Here's the way the 2014 draft has shaken out so far http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2014e.html

The fact that we have 2 players on that list with NHL stats is all I need to know.

• Upvote 1

I have plenty of patience and willing to wait a couple years for him to develop. He's got everything going for him. However, why the heck is he in the NHL? His play has not justified the stay. The thing that really bothers me is that there are other players who should be getting looks before him. Let the guy play in junior and AHL and then bring him in. It seems like the people who want him to develop in the NHL are the one's who lack patience. He's not ready. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, funkyfresh said:

I have plenty of patience and willing to wait a couple years for him to develop. He's got everything going for him. However, why the heck is he in the NHL? His play has not justified the stay. The thing that really bothers me is that there are other players who should be getting looks before him. Let the guy play in junior and AHL and then bring him in. It seems like the people who want him to develop in the NHL are the one's who lack patience. He's not ready. 

This is fair criticism. Some of the posts I've seen though are ridiculously impatient. Jake has things to work on but the bad IQ and stuff like that is too early to tell. He looks great against his peers that's the main thing. That first goal he scored was awesome. You know what, let the haters hate they will just look stupid like the guy who made that Burrows thread years ago.

I thought his second goal actually showed quite a bit of skill. The commentators didn't even really talk about it, but he took the pass on his backhand behind the goal line and quickly got it to his forehand and tucked it in.

A pretty basic play but at the same time it showed that he has quick hands and poise with the puck. Some players might have panicked and bobbled the puck there.

Hopefully this is a springboard for him to be an offensive leader for team Canada.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, funkyfresh said:

Good post. I am a Virt supporter and I agree that he hasn't been playing well in the NHL and should probably be sent back to Jr but what I think or what anybody thinks don't matter since we're not the ones running the team. If JB and management think he should be in the NHL then so be it, we can't change their minds. They know what they're doing and I will support whatever the management thinks what's best for the team.

49 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I thought his second goal actually showed quite a bit of skill. The commentators didn't even really talk about it, but he took the pass on his backhand behind the goal line and quickly got it to his forehand and tucked it in.

A pretty basic play but at the same time it showed that he has quick hands and poise with the puck. Some players might have panicked and bobbled the puck there.

Hopefully this is a springboard for him to be an offensive leader for team Canada.

Ya I agree, as always it seems, anyway Jake's move before the goal to get into better position to anticipate where the puck would be going and to get into a position to score I thought showed some big league maturity.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Jake should have had an assist on the wide open net Perlini missed and he would have had a hat trick had he not swapped off early for Strome who scored the tap in within seconds of the change.

Jake won player of the game but had he had a hat trick and a 4 point night, how much greater would the shame be on all the haters.

Low IQ indeed...Jake was usually the first to come off at the end of a shift, that is hockey IQ, if Barzal had followed him off sooner 2 less Swede goals would have been scored.

Jake is showing the way. 

JV is playing a NHL game with junior players. He dominated the ice on many shifts. His points are almost secondary. I expect he cranks up the hitting when the games count. In the 2nd period he hit a Swede behind the Canada net knocking the kid flying. As he came up the ice another Swede went after him for some payback and Virtanen met the hit and sent the guy down. The play had gone up the ice but I suggest that most of the Swedish bench was watching Jake at work. This type of play can set a tone that dominates a game.

The Swede game was a bit of a joke as neither team played very well. Canada will struggle in this tourney if they cannot come together better.

There is no point in Virtanen going back to junior. He has to be challenged by NHL play. What he can do against juniors will not help his development. He has to be challenged by NHL caliber every game he plays. Fans should realize by now that his game will never be measured against other players PPG. Virtanen's true value will be his physical game complimented by points. Canucks are a bit of a joke in the physical game and any true CUP contender needs players who can dominate the ice physically. It improves puck possession and discourages opposition.

Edited by Boudrias
  • Upvote 3

For all the Nylander fans I'm sure the team that drafted him has a heart throb thread you can join..just don't go out of your way mentioning him on a Canuck fan page for no reason other than bash one of our prospects. 

Quit trolling Jake on here. This is his clubs page.

25 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

For all the Nylander fans I'm sure the team that drafted him has a heart throb thread you can join..just don't go out of your way mentioning him on a Canuck fan page for no reason other than bash one of our prospects. 

Quit trolling Jake on here. This is his clubs page.

Sorry but I doubt Virtanen cares enough to read this thread. So no Jake isn't being trolled.

You are getting trolled yourself with your hyper sensitivity.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Average age of team sweden...19 years 3 months.

Jake Virtanen currently aged 19 years 5 months...

FAR younger people...

I would guess Jake would be around the average age-wise across all rosters. He's a very young nineteen year old in a nineteen year old's tournament.