The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Over the next 2 years I want to see him translating his hitting game to the NHL. I want him to slowly start destroying guys like he did in junior. Let him build his reputation as one of the most feared players in the league. Once he establishes that, more scoring will come.

12 hours ago, Gstank29 said:

Bust Bust Bust Bust, he sucks, bust bust bust, limited hockey IQ bust bust bust........

Yup huge bust:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Plan the parade 

I'll first state I'm a big fan of Jake & think he is just what this team needs. Not as a franchise star player. But as a Shane Doan type of gritty & true team franchise player.

To be fair, his goal was the result of his poor passing skills. He tried to put it back through to Bo & he bounced back. Which he did what he does greatly & that's crash the net to clean up the garbage. Love it, but you can tell his passing needs work.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sharbinder said:

I'll first state I'm a big fan of Jake & think he is just what this team needs. Not as a franchise star player. But as a Shane Doan type of gritty & true team franchise player.

To be fair, his goal was the result of his poor passing skills. He tried to put it back through to Bo & he bounced back. Which he did what he does greatly & that's crash the net to clean up the garbage. Love it, but you can tell his passing needs work.

To be fair that play happened really fast, and I think Bo jumped up a lot quicker that he was expecting (I don't think anyone expected Bo to drive the net as well as he has been this year).  None of that matters now, cause he found the back of the net.

11 minutes ago, The Sedge said:

To be fair that play happened really fast, and I think Bo jumped up a lot quicker that he was expecting (I don't think anyone expected Bo to drive the net as well as he has been this year).  None of that matters now, cause he found the back of the net.

Exactly, I'm not saying I dislike Virtanen or anything, hence why I added the first part. However just saying his passing isn't his best quality.

54 minutes ago, sharbinder said:

That pass was threading the needle.  The high percentage play is to put it on net where traffic was going and he got a good bounce and finished it.  By all accounts it was a good play.  Jake has also shown some nice passing plays throughout the season so I'm not too worried about his ability to share the puck.  

1 minute ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

REALLY glad they picked JV. His tools are hard to find. But a local kid, who should always be enthused to play for his hometown..have the Canucks ever had(& kept!) that before?

I wish we could've seen this kid in the playoffs this year

5 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Over the next 2 years I want to see him translating his hitting game to the NHL. I want him to slowly start destroying guys like he did in junior. Let him build his reputation as one of the most feared players in the league. Once he establishes that, more scoring will come.

This will surely happen once he builds his body up. He still has a lot of fat to shed and muscle to build up. Right now, it looks like he has the raw strength but it is not yet refined and hence, unable to maximize his raw strength.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

This will surely happen once he builds his body up. He still has a lot of fat to shed and muscle to build up. Right now, it looks like he has the raw strength but it is not yet refined and hence, unable to maximize his raw strength.

He looked pretty darned effective last night against Ottawa, sending guys flying with solid checks.  I be he's already got a rep around the league for a guy who the other players must keep track of when he's on the ice.  This was a GREAT pick.  We need more guys who play with his aggression, especially on our back end.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

He looked pretty darned effective last night against Ottawa, sending guys flying with solid checks.  I be he's already got a rep around the league for a guy who the other players must keep track of when he's on the ice.  This was a GREAT pick.  We need more guys who play with his aggression, especially on our back end.

Yes. That was all based on his raw strength. The scary thing is that he can be even stronger. He is already destroying some of the guys.

One potential problem is that each time he destroys a guy, he also takes some damage. And that is why he needs to bulk up and be more efficient in using his strength. And once that happens, look out!

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 4thLineGrinder said:

cam neely

don't even get me started on how that worked out for us...

Surely you noticed the two words in parenthesis?

& in general, I'M FINE with our trading history(on balance), it's the drafting( & poor development/no farm team) that killed the team for decades.