The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

Nylander will be no more after he takes a hit from Jake. Then where will all the Nylander fans be? Its very scary but Jake may end careers with clean hits. I dont see him as a dirty players, just a very tough kid. Players bounce off him even when their the ones trying to make the hit. Thats what i love about Jake. Any offence and defence is just bonus for me!

14 hours ago, McHortanen said:

Nylander will be no more after he takes a hit from Jake. Then where will all the Nylander fans be? Its very scary but Jake may end careers with clean hits. I dont see him as a dirty players, just a very tough kid. Players bounce off him even when their the ones trying to make the hit. Thats what i love about Jake. Any offence and defence is just bonus for me!

As much as Baer has improved his physical game one has to wonder what Virtanen and Horvat can add to his game especially as Virtanen develops his NHL game. That line has a big future for the Canucks IMO. Baer will score big points from the space the other two will create for him.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, McHortanen said:

Jakes arms are like pythons in that Grizzlies tanker. Its easy to see how he got up to 225lbs last year. He could pop Nylanders head like a zit without batting an eyelash

Edited by two drink minimum
spelling
  • Upvote 2

personally for me, the next two years will be big in my eyes, for both the canucks and virtanen... 

hopefully virtanen can finish this regular season strong with the canucks, getting more minutes as per bennings mention in that interview. after this season ends maybe he can go to utica for the playoffs, who else out of hutton, baertschi, horvat, mccann, can go down the ahl? 

also, next year i think both mccann and virtanen should play for the comets along with boeser and demko. 

The question would then lie with who replaces virtanen on horvats wing next year? 

We need to get another big forward who can help out Jake in the hitting and toughness department. Not fair that a 19 year old has to do it all himself. He should be able to go out and play his game without worrying. Another reason I wish we still had Kassian.

All we have is Dorsett, but he's small and no one is scared of him. Will be nice once Pedan makes the team, but we still need another guy.

Jake will amount to a third line player, IMO. His speed and grit are great but he appears to have a somewhat "relaxed" personality. What I mean is that it appears that he may lack interest, may not have the greatest hockey IQ, and may be slightly inconsistent. I wish Benning moves on from Jake at the draft and grabs either a roster player or high draft pick from another team. 

I hope jake proves me wrong.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Puckluck said:

Jake will amount to a third line player, IMO. His speed and grit are great but he appears to have a somewhat "relaxed" personality. What I mean is that it appears that he may lack interest, may not have the greatest hockey IQ, and may be slightly inconsistent. I wish Benning moves on from Jake at the draft and grabs either a roster player or high draft pick from another team. 

he's 19 years old. At 19 I was in bed... not moving at all... movies and food... that's about it. 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Puckluck said:

Lol.  Besides Hutton, he's one of the few players who looks like they wouldn't be anywhere else when he's in the game.  Nice troll tho

On February 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Erik Karlsson said:

We need to get another big forward who can help out Jake in the hitting and toughness department. Not fair that a 19 year old has to do it all himself. He should be able to go out and play his game without worrying. Another reason I wish we still had Kassian.

All we have is Dorsett, but he's small and no one is scared of him. Will be nice once Pedan makes the team, but we still need another guy.

Kassian will most likely be available in the summer. Call me crazy but I'd like for us to give Kass one more chance. He wouldn't cost much to get him back from Edmonton and we could play him with the Sedins.  

One more big body to add to Virt and hopefully Pedan and then we wouldn't have to worry about the twins or McCann or Bo getting pushed around. Dorset gives great energy but nobody fears him anymore.  He is not a physical deterent by any stretch. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Kassian will most likely be available in the summer. Call me crazy but I'd like for us to give Kass one more chance. He wouldn't cost much to get him back from Edmonton and we could play him with the Sedins.  

One more big body to add to Virt and hopefully Pedan and then we wouldn't have to worry about the twins or McCann or Bo getting pushed around. Dorset gives great energy but nobody fears him anymore.  He is not a physical deterent by any stretch. 

Not happening while JB is GM. Trev wouldn't let it happen either

53 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Okay, you're crazy. (No offense. I agree we could use more of a physical deterrent. But I don't think Kass really played that role effectively.) 

56 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

It is my understanding that Edmonton is very high on him right now and his physical play for them has been exemplary of late.  Wouldn't rule out a contract extension there if he continues his current form.

Watched him live last game, and he was way more vocal than I thought he'd be. Directed players to where they should be defensively, and asked questions between whistles. He's very engaged, and I like that. I always thought he had better hockey IQ than given credit for, but seeing him play defense in the flesh made me realize he's better in that area than I thought. That is a part of his game that has more potential than we might have anticipated, and added to those tools he has that's pretty scary; still what he needs to work on the most though. 

Edited by NaveJoseph
  • Upvote 1

On February 27, 2016 at 3:36 PM, Erik Karlsson said:

One more big body to add to Virt and hopefully Pedan and then we wouldn't have to worry about the twins or McCann or Bo getting pushed around. Dorset gives great energy but nobody fears him anymore.  He is not a physical deterent by any stretch. W

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Okay, you're crazy. (No offense. I agree we could use more of a physical deterrent. But I don't think Kass really played that role effectively.) 

Yes I agree he did not play that role effectively while with the Canucks. However, in his brief time with Edmonton it seems he has become a more physical presence for his team and is playing the body more effectively. Too late for us though unfortunately as the chances of JB and TL bringing him back are close to zero. 

1 hour ago, luongotv said:

It is my understanding that Edmonton is very high on him right now and his physical play for them has been exemplary of late.  Wouldn't rule out a contract extension there if he continues his current form.

I'm happy for Kass. Even if he never plays for us again. He seems to have found a home in Edmonton (which isn't saying a lot for a lot of players). But with all the things he's had to endure, and overcome, particularly with his substance abuse. I'm glad that he's playing well, and better with the Oilers. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Very good game for Virtanen so far.

I agree.  Jake has  looked really good for almost 2 months now.  Tonight I really noticed his confidence especially holding on to the puck.  I see a lot of potential in him whereas Jared seems to be falling off as the season goes along.  I still think McCann will be good but just not as ready as Jake is.  

6 minutes ago, High and Inside said:

I agree.  Jake has  looked really good for almost 2 months now.  Tonight I really noticed his confidence especially holding on to the puck.  I see a lot of potential in him whereas Jared seems to be falling off as the season goes along.  I still think McCann will be good but just not as ready as Jake is.  

that's good sign for Jake! i didn't see the game tonight. how did he do? how was he showing confidence? 

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

that's good sign for Jake! i didn't see the game tonight. how did he do? how was he showing confidence? 

He was more involved in the offensive zone,  looked really strong on the puck, cycling more, making good stretch passes, taking away pucks in his own zone, using his speed as always and was noticeable all night.

2 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

He was more involved in the offensive zone,  looked really strong on the puck, cycling more, making good stretch passes, taking away pucks in his own zone, using his speed as always and was noticeable all night.

Yeah he hardly had a shift that I didn't notice him and a good few where I was like 'alright Jake'!:towel: