The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ehlers and Nylander are both scoring at 40-50 point paces in their rookie year. Virtanen is just a bit below at around a 20-30 point pace. No doubt Virtanen will pick up speed later on his career, but even then, is that really what we want?

This has been discussed ad nauseam. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Gstank29 said:

If points are the only criteria you use when you are evaluating a player, then you're doing it wrong.

Not the only thing, but how do you compare points to physicality?

Pretty hard to do but I think when you're building a team, you try and get that offence going first as a foundation with two-way defensive ability as a foundation as well. Add-ons like physical forwards and mobile defencemen are built later on.

That's how the successful teams do it. They build a core with the important core pieces - fantastic two-way defensive centers, high-end offensive talented forwards, all-round top defencemen and then build tertiary players around them who have that physical edge etc.

For whatever reason we've gone the other way around.

15 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Ehlers and Nylander are both scoring at 40-50 point paces in their rookie year. Virtanen is just a bit below at around a 20-30 point pace. No doubt Virtanen will pick up speed later on his career, but even then, is that really what we want?

Just when our team is starting to display some meanness, and pushback you suggest we would be better off with more soft perimiter players.  WHY, don't you want us to build a winning team?  :frantic:. The Coilers have a slew full of MUCH BETTER soft offensive players than Nylander and Ehlers, and how has that worked for them?   You want us to add soft less talented guys than the ones the .coilers have?  How in all that makes sense does that help us? 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

But a semblance of something makes it okay to label him Raffi Torres? Alrighty then.

He's been compared with David Booth (a fair comparison imo), and CDC lost their sh!t.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just when our team is starting to display some meanness, and pushback you suggest we would be better off with more soft perimiter players.  WHY, don't you want us to build a winning team?  :frantic:. The Coilers have a slew full of MUCH BETTER soft offensive players than Nylander and Ehlers, and how has that worked for them?   You want us to add soft less talented guys than the ones the .coilers have?  How in all that makes sense does that help us? 

The concept of Ehlers being soft has been disproven time and again by those who actually watch him. It seems like those who don't tend to repeatedly bring this up.

2 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Actually you're referred to as a troll because you only ever have negative things to say about our prospect. It was curious but not surprising that you had nothing to say for a couple months when Jake was playing well. Now that his play has taken a dip and his exuberance in trying to make a big hit has ended in a suspension, Guntrix has suddenly found his voice again.

Props to the5thline for being the one detractor of Jake's game early on, that has come back to acknowledge when Jake was playing well. Jake as a 19 year old isn't a top 6 forward on a good team, but the Canucks only had a couple of games this year with all of their starters in the lineup. 

Jake is far from a finished product, yet some people are looking at him at age 19, as though he will never learn anything or become a better player. There is plenty of room for improvement, yet there are plenty of fans that can see the upside in this kid's game and are certain that he will become a top 6 winger.                                                                                                            

I've been pretty vocal whenever JV supporters feel the need to bring in Nylander and Ehlers into the discussion in order to feel better about our draft pick.

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

He's been compared with David Booth (a fair comparison imo), and CDC lost their sh!t.

The concept of Ehlers being soft has been disproven time and again by those who actually watch him. It seems like those who don't tend to repeatedly bring this up.

Look Frog.  Players, who avoid the ice between the dots are McSofties.  He's another Nail Yakupov, only not as tough.  If you like having softies on your team, then you better pick a team other than the .canucks to cheer for, because Brnning is building a tough team, where all the players go to the hard areas.  

• Upvote 1

JV supporters are the ones trying to defend our prospect from the Ehlers Nylander fanboys. You have it ass backwards. DownundaCanuck is back to prove my point. Where was that guy for the same 2 months that you took off. Now he's extrapolating how many points Nylander would have scored in a full season. It's hopeless trying to explain anything to you, but I will call you on your BS every time. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

JV supporters are the ones trying to defend our prospect from the Ehlers Nylander fanboys. You have it ass backwards. DownundaCanuck is back to prove my point. Where was that guy for the same 2 months that you took off. Now he's extrapolating how many points Nylander would have scored in a full season. It's hopeless trying to explain anything to you, but I will call you on your BS every time. 

It's funny because if you go back through this thread, 90% of the time it's the Jake supporters who feel the need to bring up Ehlers and Nylander. This was ALSO discussed at some point in time.

Speaking about BS.

Just now, guntrix said:

It's funny because if you go back through this thread, 90% of the time it's the Jake supporters who feel the need to bring up Ehlers and Nylander. This was ALSO discussed at some point in time.

Speaking about BS.

Yep. Pure BS. I dare you to read this thread lol. 90%? Did you pull number out of your butt? Of course you did. 

3 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yep. Pure BS. I dare you to read this thread lol. 90%? Did you pull number out of your butt? Of course you did. 

It was an obvious estimation but you'll obviously delve into the specifics once you realize that it's the JV supporters who in fact do this the majority of the time. As I said, it's been pointed out before. It screams insecurity more than anything. 

Just now, guntrix said:

It was an obvious estimation but you'll obviously delve into the specifics once you realize that it's the JV supporters who in fact do this the majority of the time. As I said, it's been pointed out before. It screams insecurity more than anything. 

Riddle me this. If I'm a JV supporter, what are you? 

1 minute ago, guntrix said:

Insecure.  Who's  hiding behind some silly frog avatar, not willing to show who he really is.  

13 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Riddle me this. If I'm a JV supporter, what are you? 

Someone who will be happy to see him bring success to the Canucks but acknowledges that he may not have been the best pick at 6.

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Insecure.  Who's  hiding behind some silly frog avatar, not willing to show who he really is.  

Oh, the irony.

14 minutes ago, guntrix said:

It's just DUC that gets me

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Someone who will be happy to see him bring success to the Canucks but acknowledges that he may not have been the best pick at 6.

If only we could go back to the days of Jim Henson. When he had his hand up your butt, all was right with the world. Just like we can't go back there, we can't go back to the 2014 draft and pick your faves. Suck it up buttercup and get with the JV program. He's our pick whether you liked it or not.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Oh, the irony.

Alf is getting tired Frog.  I bet you are really young.  Alf is renaming you Tadpole.  You will understand when you become a toad.  Now stop sucking your toes! :lol:

seriously, I love JV on our team, but I love you too.  You make some good points.