Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

6 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

I at least seen more than 60 games, 

Virt is nothing special, every rookies have flashes if that's what you mean

5 minutes ago, Cowardrobertford said:

He's that every time he reads my criticism on Virtanen

It's good we have conflicting views.  It's way more fun on the boards, when people voice their honest opinions on our team.  

I DISAGREE, of course with your view on JV.  JV's dominance of every game, from a physical standpoint, for almost a full 20 game stretch - after his return from the WJC - indicates he has ELITE upside as a top line power forward.  The hit on Polak, who is a big strong guy, is another indicator of JV's tremendous (almost freakish) power.  He not only hits guys, he hurts them.  He's the best prospect of his draft class, because of his unique POWER.  I'm so glad we have JV and not some "oh don't hurt me" stay outside the dots McSofty Smurfette.  We have too many of those types already!  

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It's good we have conflicting views.  It's way more fun on the boards, when people voice their honest opinions on our team.  

I DISAGREE, of course with your view on JV.  JV's dominance of every game, from a physical standpoint, for almost a full 20 game stretch - after his return from the WJC - indicates he has ELITE upside as a top line power forward.  The hit on Polak, who is a big strong guy, is another indicator of JV's tremendous (almost freakish) power.  He not only hits guys, he hurts them.  He's the best prospect of his draft class, because of his unique POWER.  I'm so glad we have JV and not some "oh don't hurt me" stay outside the dots McSofty Smurfette.  We have too many of those types already!  

I hope you're not counting any of the top 4. Or Larkin. Arguments could be made for other guys in the draft, and this is from a big virtanen fan.

Edited by Wild Sean Monahan

1 minute ago, Wild Sean Monahan said:

I hope you're not counting any of the top 4. Or Larkin. Arguments could be made for other guys in the draft, and this is from a big virtanen fan.

JV has a unique quality none of the other top picks do: Freakish Power.  Plus, he is the best skater of the bunch, stick handles well, and has a great shot.  No, IMHAO, he is a unique player, who will dominate games (as we have seen already, and he's still young) like no other player from that draft - except McCann, who is second best. :towel:

• Upvote 3

I agree with a number of posters. JV will be a special player, assuming he is groomed and coached properly and takes his training and practice seriously. This kid has an amazing skillset and I am excited to see what he can make of himself.

I say we keep the jury out until he hits his prime. He is still just a kid and I think people here forget that. So much impatience with the fan base.

1 hour ago, WonderTwinPowers said:

Best. Week. Ever.

Next time you should see if you, Desi, Downunda, and Chili can all split a groupon. Really treat yourselves, I'd bet you would all have a fantastic time! I mean you all seem like such enjoyable people..

Unda is not a troll.

19 minutes ago, DJSkingz said:

I agree with a number of posters. JV will be a special player, assuming he is groomed and coached properly and takes his training and practice seriously. This kid has an amazing skillset and I am excited to see what he can make of himself.

I say we keep the jury out until he hits his prime. He is still just a kid and I think people here forget that. So much impatience with the fan base.

I keep seeing a little of Terry O'Reilly in him and that can't be bad. Having said that he has a long way to go and lets hope he doesn't become a Kassian Mk2 rather than an O'Reilly

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

1. He had a good stretch of games for a month or so but he wasn't "dominating". 

2. Polak wasn't even looking when Jake hit him and it was late...hence the suspension.

3. You lose all credibility when you say "best prospect of his draft class".

Good try though

Thanks! I think.:huh:

On March 31, 2016 at 9:24 AM, J.R. said:

You could just as easily compare him to Kreider or Shane Doan. Far too early to decide what kind of player he is/is going to be.

A poor man's Kreider maybe... But Doan? Based on JV's impeccable leadership abilities? :lol:

5 minutes ago, guntrix said:

A poor man's Kreider maybe... But Doan? Based on JV's impeccable leadership abilities? :lol:

I never said he was a Doan-cloan or that he had Doan's leadership. JV likely lacks in leadership in comparison (though that's also still largely to be decided) but he's also a MUCH faster skater and has a better shot. (The hockey gods giveth and they taketh away)

They'll certainly be different players, as they're different people but they can easily have similar careers statistically, play style etc.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I never said he was a Doan-cloan or that he had Doan's leadership. JV likely lacks in leadership in comparison (though that's also still largely to be decided) but he's also a MUCH faster skater and has a better shot. (The hockey gods giveth and they taketh away)

They'll certainly be different players, as they're different people but they can easily have similar careers statistically, play style etc.

Part of what makes Doan's skill set so valuable in the league is his leadership abilities. This is similar to how posters on here like to include physicality in Jake's skill set. 

I find the comparison to Torres more accurate but alas, we're called trolls if we don't compare him to a top 6 forward. 

9 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Part of what makes Doan's skill set so valuable in the league is his leadership abilities. This is similar to how posters on here like to include physicality in Jake's skill set.

Part.

That also seems to presume JV lacks any leadership.

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

He reminds me a little of a very young Cam Neely. You can throw some Claude Lemieux traits in the mix as well.

He's a 'real exciting' prospect all in all. Do 19 year old guys really like The Bieb though?  It does suggest he's a very young 19 to me.

7 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

He reminds me a little of a very young Cam Neely. You can throw some Claude Lemieux traits in the mix as well.

He's a 'real exciting' prospect all in all. Do 19 year old guys really like The Bieb though?  It does suggest he's a very young 19 to me.

Those are some big names he reminds you of.