The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

12 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Virtanen is a forward (well known to usually develop much quicker) and one who's played nearly 300 NHL games and is now in his 6th NHL season.

Demko is a goaltender (well known to often take until late 20s to fully develop) and one who's played 46 NHL games and is in his 4th NHL season, but only his 2nd as a regular.

If he doesn't work out, I imagine plan B is Dipietro.

Well  DiPietro is 21 so by your calculation his playing days are a further 5-7 years  from now and then of course many fans wrote Markstrom off because he was  31  ... not much of  a window :)

Edited by Fred65

25 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well  DiPietro is 21 so by your calculation his playing days are a further 5-7 years  from now and then of course many fans wrote Markstrom off because he was  31  ... not much of  a window :)

I would disagree with fans that wrote off Markstrom at 31. He might not be great in the last year or two of his contract, but I expect he still has three or four good years left. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would disagree with fans that wrote off Markstrom at 31. He might not be great in the last year or two of his contract, but I expect he still has three or four good years left. 

That's the bet Mtl decided on. Price is 33 and still has a further 5 years. We've allowed one of the top player on the team simply walk away and the signed Holtby and Harmonic* at a combined $5.5 to replace the $6 m Markstrom. Yes we might loose Demko to Seattle but Jimbo that's where you negotiating prowess comes to the fore, maybe you could give Seattle Virtanen :) *

Ho many more injured prone players are we going to sign

Edited by Fred65

19 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Nobody wrote Markie off, that's just trolling crap. It is no surprise that he is looking well worth signing this year, what those of us who want the team to do well were concerned about was the idea of giving 6 years term with a NMC to a 31 year old. Aside from meaning we would lose Demko in the ED, it would be almost a guarantee that years before that contract is finished, it will be an albatross.

• Upvote 2

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Nobody wrote Markie off, that's just trolling crap. It is no surprise that he is looking well worth signing this year, what those of us who want the team to do well were concerned about was the idea of giving 6 years term with a NMC to a 31 year old. Aside from meaning we would lose Demko in the ED, it would be almost a guarantee that years before that contract is finished, it will be an albatross.

THANK YOU!

32 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Just took a look at goalies ages and found this ( it is last season ) I'd say Markstrom has more than a few years left

2019‑2020 NHL Goalie Stats (quanthockey.com)

Yes, some other goalies are playing well, at ages older than Markstrom

others however are already out of the league.

I'd have been ok with a 3 for $6 mill deal, with out any trade restrictions.

Markstrom got more years and money and a NTC from someone else.

Personally if I'm a G.M. I would honour the NTC/NMC that exist on a team, but I would not sign one with any player; with the possible exception of Crosby/Ovie/McDavid type players.

27 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

He could have one. Two. Three maybe. But not 6 lol.  On top of that we would have lost one to the expansion.

You understand Price is 2 years older than Markstrom. And, Price will play next season too, which means it's not much of a gamble to say 2-3 years. Our time is now and for the next 2-3 seasons. When a club reach the SC window you throw in the kitchen sink. IMO Markstrom will still be the better goalie during that period. Who knows maybe Demko's people were looking for a break or ask for a trade... who really knows. But in my book Markstrom is and will be the better bgoal tender for the next 3 years or so. But thhat's just my read ... and money was not the defining problem

29 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

You understand Price is 2 years older than Markstrom. And, Price will play next season too, which means it's not much of a gamble to say 2-3 years. Our time is now and for the next 2-3 seasons. When a club reach the SC window you throw in the kitchen sink. IMO Markstrom will still be the better goalie during that period. Who knows maybe Demko's people were looking for a break or ask for a trade... who really knows. But in my book Markstrom is and will be the better bgoal tender for the next 3 years or so. But thhat's just my read ... and money was not the defining problem

I know you arent comparing price and markstrom lol.

Why do you think out time is now? Players prime when there 27 ish. Do you believe put core has topped out at the age of 23? May I remind you what the sedins were at 23 compared to what they were at 30.

Edited by 73 Percent

6 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Why do you think out time is now? Players prime when there 27 ish. Do you believe put core has topped out at the age of 23? May I remind you what the sedins were at 23 compared to what they were at 30.

True but you need some experience on D as well hen u make a run

On 2/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, gurn said:

Demko has played quite well in the games the team won, and not so good in the ones the team lost. The way the team played in front of him has a lot to do with how he "looks".

He also adjusting to a bigger portion of the starts. Being a AHL or NCAA regular starter isn't the same as an NHL guy. Demko barely got regular season starts last season. 

Demmer had 27 starts last year. A large portion of which was late in the year due to markstrom's injury. He should bounce back he has a psych degree or soon to be finished. That should help him mentally playing in this market.

I believe in Demko. 

I think he's going to be a fantastic goalie in this league, and the Canucks are lucky to have him. PLUS, they got the goalie god, in Ian Clark. Clark working with Demko is going to do amazing things to his game. It took Markström a long time to get where he's at right now. I think Demko is already ahead of where Markström was, when they were the same age. Can Demko get to where Markström is now? Only time will tell. He's looking solid in net, though this season. it just doesn't look like it at times, because of the $&!# defense he has in front of him. 

His numbers and save percentage should be better, but the team hasn't been playing well. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Fred65 said:

18 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Exactly. Right now Markstrom is arguably better. Is he a phenomenal goalie, no he's playing his best years in his career as a top 10ish goalie. Can Demko be better? Absolutely, especially 4-6 years down the road. Given the arguments presented I think that's completely realistic and the correct chance to take. I'd also argue Demko has a higher ceiling than Markstrom, albeit a tiny difference.

At the end of the day when our window is really open 2.5-5 years down the road we'll most likely have the better, younger goalie on a far better contract. Short term pain for long term gain. It's too early to throw our chips in for a run.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

One thing that can be counted on for sure: the same posters who are whining about how stupid the Canucks were for not signing Markie would be whining just as loudly about how stupid it was to give him 6 years with a NMC if we had signed him.

Given their relative ages and the age of our core, keeping Demko is a way better choice than committing to Markie until he is 37, regardless of how good Markie is this year.

• Cheers 1

The best way to compare goalies is to have them all play for the same team.  And, allow the same number of quality shots per game.  Now we know that is impossible so trying to compare goalies is a tough thing to do.  Yes, many goalies are capable of stealing a game when they are in the zone.  Just like when one player (Matthews, McDavid, etc) can turn a game around with a couple timely goals.  Demko stats will continue to improve as the team in front of him improves.  How many quality scoring chances per game do the Canucks give up based on bonehead giveaways either in their own end or between the bluelines (yes Miller, Myers and Quinn I am talking about you guys.)?

• Cheers 1

Giving Demko major props here. Tonight was arguably the first night this season that he nearly stole a game for us. First time he's been dominant in a loss, which is a good sign to see. His save percentage has risen above .900 again as well.

• Like 2

Obviously Demko's numbers have been trash, pretty much his whole career apart from the playoffs, but he'll get there. Hopefully he'll peak in 2-3 years time because the team in front of him isn't ready to do anything spectacular just yet. 

I think a goalie's numbers tell us more about the team than the goalie. Look at Tampa and Colorado's goalie stats over the last couple of years - Vasilevsky is good but plonk him behind our defence and watch that GAA get decimated. 

Demko will get better when our defensive structure gets better. It has been better the last 5 games, let's hope that continues but we're still giving up breakaways every other game.