The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thatcher Demko | #35 | G

Drouin

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Muttley said:

I don't blame the Americans for disputing the one goal called back. Apparently international play has a different interpretation on goalie contact. I the American was pushed into the tender so IMHO the goal should have counted. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I don't blame the Americans for disputing the one goal called back. Apparently international play has a different interpretation on goalie contact. I the American was pushed into the tender so IMHO the goal should have counted. 

I saw the play and he was not pushed, he spun around and his butt clipped the goalie in the head, In the crease... no goal. 

• Vintage 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, nergish said:

He had that done when he was still in College...

The Canucks have been so secretive about his injuries, which only breeds speculation. 

What was his surgery last summer?  What was his recent injury?  The team statement is

'lower body injury', which is usually hip, groin or knee.  His lateral movements were nowhere

near as fluid this season, so it's easy to make the jump to suspecting he returned from the

summer surgery too soon and he re-injured it or this is a new (unrelated) injury.

5 hours ago, Muttley said:

You can listen to the entire YouTube episode by going to Full interview.

The cheek of this guy to come out a few days ago, say Demko is unhappy (based on what, pure speculation?), then to come out and say he hasn't asked for a formal trade?

In all honesty though this is what I've said in the Demko thread, if we want to full-rebuild then sure, go and trade Demko and we basically commit to losing for the next 3-5 years. If we want to even vaguely make a stab at the playoffs next year (or pretend to be doing so) then we've got to keep Demko. We have no other goalie in this organization who's even close (Silovos is not our saviour). Amazing how the poor guy gets treated after a handful of bad games between injuries after the years he bailed this bad club out of it's poor coaching and defending. 

Miller plays sloppy defence for 18 months, he gets an 8x8M deal. OEL starts to slow down, he gets a healthy scratch for one game. Myers plays dreadful defensively for 6 months and we keep playing him 20+ minutes. Demko has a few bad games despite not being fully healthy and here we are forcing him out of the city...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is Tocchet playing Demko so much?  Easy.  He is trying to build back his confidence and turn him back into a Vezina trophy candidate.  Seems to be working.  Demko looks better than ever.  This is much more important for the future of this franchise than getting an extra 3-4 higher spots in the draft this year...

• There it is 1

Let's hope the recent play from Demko is like what we saw from Pettersson at the end of last year and something he can carry to next year.

Since returning, he's 7-3-0 with a .918 save percentage. Note that league average is .904 and most starters are probably close to .910.