The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Doughty, Karlsson, OEL, McDonagh, Ellis, Myers... got to think a couple of those guys make it to UFA and we'll have all sorts of cap space B)

Agreed. My preference would be for Doughty though. He has won 2 cups, is one of the best if not the best all around dman in the game, he would be a terrific tutor for all the young dmen we have. I love Karlson, and many of the others but they are not the same calibre in my view, and Karlson, will likely get paid more (marginally, but more) given his point totals. Doughty is just so solid...a perfect dman in my view.

Edited by EuroCanuck
  • Upvote 1

Just now, EuroCanuck said:

Doughty is just so solid...a perfect dman in my view.

Not going to argue, the guy's a HELL of a player. But he's also kinda douchey too (not that that would stop me from cheering for him should he don the blue and green in a another 1.4'ish years).

He's also not Swedish :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, aGENT said:

Not going to argue, the guy's a HELL of a player. But he's also kinda douchey too (not that that would stop me from cheering for him should he don the blue and green in a another 1.4'ish years).

He's douchey because he's got an edge/swagger and he knows he can dominate other players- we could use some of that our team...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Why is it that it’s only today that I noticed how close Doughty is to douchey. I’ve always noticed the doughy similarity, but the douchey part is a revelation! Seems so obvious now! :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Doughty, Karlsson, OEL, McDonagh, Ellis, Myers... got to think a couple of those guys make it to UFA and we'll have all sorts of cap space B)

Personally, I don't like being on the wrong end of a bidding war, which is what will happen if and when any elite Dman makes it to free agency. To land him, you end up committing 10+ million per year for 6 or 7 years, which most likely becomes an albatross contract for a player with declining skills long before the contract is finished.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Why is it that it’s only today that I noticed how close Doughty is to douchey. I’ve always noticed the doughy similarity, but the douchey part is a revelation! Seems so obvious now! :lol:

Maybe his name has been misspelt his whole life.

3 hours ago, EuroCanuck said:

Agreed. My preference would be for Doughty though. He has won 2 cups, is one of the best if not the best all around dman in the game, he would be a terrific tutor for all the young dmen we have. I love Karlson, and many of the others but they are not the same calibre in my view, and Karlson, will likely get paid more (marginally, but more) given his point totals. Doughty is just so solid...a perfect dman in my view.

Karlsson is not the same calibre as Doughty? 

Honestly, if we can get Karlsson, I think we are winning the cup soon. He outscored the next best defenceman by like 70 points in the last 4 seasons and that second best man played one full season as a winger before focussing on defence.

Doughty is all around player sure but one can easily make the case that Karlsson's caliber is one notch above that of Doughty.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, khay said:

Honestly, if we can get Karlsson, I think we are winning the cup soon. He outscored the next best defenceman by like 70 points in the last 4 seasons and that second best man played one full season as a winger before focussing on defence.

Doughty is all around player sure but one can easily make the case that Karlsson's caliber is one notch above that of Doughty.

I'd be pretty damned thrilled with any of the guys I listed there TBH. One of them next summer, Tryamkin coming back, OJ developing and a couple more good drafts and *poof* ,  there's the remade D everyone is so worried about. 

4 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Personally, I don't like being on the wrong end of a bidding war, which is what will happen if and when any elite Dman makes it to free agency. To land him, you end up committing 10+ million per year for 6 or 7 years, which most likely becomes an albatross contract for a player with declining skills long before the contract is finished.

I've thought about this for a while without really looking into it but remember when Chicago gave Campbell a huge contract?  He was a very good defenceman but I don't think he was in the same class as Karlsson/Doughty.  I wonder if there are any parallels to where the Canucks are currently at and the Hawks team when they signed Campbell?

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

I've thought about this for a while without really looking into it but remember when Chicago gave Campbell a huge contract?  He was a very good defenceman but I don't think he was in the same class as Karlsson/Doughty.  I wonder if there are any parallels to where the Canucks are currently at and the Hawks team when they signed Campbell?

I think at that time the Hawks young core was a year or two riper than ours is right now. If our young players continue to improve, if and when several of our top prospects blossom into useful NHL players (and hopefully Tram comes back, he could be our Byfuglien), I think we will be about where Chicago was when they signed Campbell.

Edited by WeneedLumme

7 hours ago, khay said:

Karlson is a great offensive dman, he is not the same class as Doughty defensively. 

Yes I’d take a big, physical, better dman who gets 50-60 points  over a more primarily offensive dman. This is not to suggest karlson is not world class, just that I like all around dmen better and feel Doughtys overall value to a team is higher because of his shut down ability combined with his offensive skills.

Edited by EuroCanuck

Back to Try. I watched his game against the Czechs. Hard to follow. He got caught on one goal. Made a decent rush once. The question will become whether Benning decides to move him for a pick or not. Do you take a 2nd Rdr in a strong draft or wait? 

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

You don’t trade him.  He has the tools to be a special player and reports are that he wants to try the NHL again after his contract is up.  If he doesn’t come back after this contract then maybe move on... not worth it now at all.

The likelihood of a 2nd round pick being as good as him is pretty low and he is the right age for our current core.

exactly right