The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Could someone explain how this guy went through the draft twice and it took 66 picks the 2nd time before anyone grabbed him?

This guy is amazing. A future #1 if he hasn't taken that spot already. Wow. If Hutton and Tryamkin becomes a thing and Edler Tanev are still here, then you have a legit top 4.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123119

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikita-tryamkin/

I had that wrong. it was his 3rd time through the draft because he has a late birthday.

Edited by canuckledraggin

19 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

TSN Radio Vancouver @TSN1040 2h2 hours ago

Willie D: "Tryamkin's been pretty impressive lately. He's still got a long way to go. For a start where he's at, he's been good."

I think he's been pretty damn good considering his circumstances. Haven't been watching much lately but every time I watch him he's poking the puck away, blocking shots or pushing guys off the puck. Usually seems to get the puck through as well whenever he shoots.

After an off season of NHL training, bulking up, and getting used to the smaller rinks, I wouldn't be surprised if he's in our top 4 right from the get go next season.

Didn't think he would adapt and look good this fast. He definitely has Chara like potential imo.

• Upvote 3

Interesting stats about Tryamkin in the Sportsnet article by Thomas Drance http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/canucks-defenceman-tryamkin-exceeding-early-expectations/ :

" Desjardins’ diagnosis of Tryamkin as a ‘cycle stopper’ appears to be spot on. In his first five NHL games Tryamkin has managed to throw body checks that effectively separate opponents from the puck at a rate of 4.5 per 60 minutes of 5-on-5 ice time, according to data from Montreal-based player tracking firm Sportlogiq. That would represent an elite rate, if Tryamkin can sustain it.

On the other side of the ledger though, Sportlogiq’s data suggests that Tryamkin has been rather limited in transition. Through five games Tryamkin has posted a high neutral zone turnover rate and a very low neutral zone passing success rate, which isn’t uncommon for a young defenceman learning the ropes in the NHL.

Tryamkin has also attempted to dump the puck out of the defensive end more than 30 per cent of the time, a number that stands in stark contrast with the rest of the Canucks defence corps, most of whom attempt to transition the puck with possession at a rate well above league average. It’s a discrepancy that may reflect Tryamkin’s relative lack of familiarity with Vancouver’s systems."

• Upvote 3

Some funny stuff:

IHC Avtomobilist @IHCAvtomobilist Mar 23

Пока Никита Трямкин покоряет НХЛ, его сейв признали одним из лучших за первые два раунда КГ! http://video.khl.ru/events/409507  #hcavto

Translation: While Nikita Tryamkin is battling in the NHL, his save is recognized as one of the best in the first two rounds of the KHL playoffs!

Yes, he was competing with goalies in that contest. :o His video starts at 01:53.

Edited by Stierlitz
  • Upvote 1

On 2016-03-26 at 6:34 PM, canuckledraggin said:

Could someone explain how this guy went through the draft twice and it took 66 picks the 2nd time before anyone grabbed him?

This guy is amazing. A future #1 if he hasn't taken that spot already. Wow. If Hutton and Tryamkin becomes a thing and Edler Tanev are still here, then you have a legit top 4.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123119

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/nikita-tryamkin/

I had that wrong. it was his 3rd time through the draft because he has a late birthday.

It was a dark time for Russian players.  Not many teams want to risk a draft pick on Russians because at the time, a lot of them had little interest of playing in the NHL on top of that, a lot of Russian players often use the KHL as bargaining power.  You had guys like Filatov, Burmistrov, Thikinov all highly regarded Russian players who left the NHL, (Burmistrov and Thikinov came back) but still.  It's a risk some GM's were not willing to take. 

It was a gamble none the less for J.B.  Risky move, but it can pay off. I don't expect Chara out of him either, but it be great if he can provide solid defence.  He will come around. Utica can't wait to get their hands on him.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

The difference in his first game to all his other games is impressive.

Would love for him to be on the team next year.

me too. but like any other player. he's got to earn his spot on the team. I'm encouraged to see his play though and have little doubts that he will be in better shape come next season and will most likely be in our top four if not top six. 

I really like Tryamkin. There is a lot to like about him.

It is very early in his NHL career but he looks very effective out there considering his circumstances. One reason for his effectiveness is some nice physical tools. His skating is excellent for his size. He is huge with a very long reach. Although not in very good NHL shape yet, he can't be knocked off the puck and is effective at his current level of ice time. He will impact the game even more when he gets in better shape. He has a hard accurate shot that gets thru to the net.

Another reason for his effectiveness is his mental qualities. He is tough and courageous. Gets a piece of anyone within reach. His favorite - "ram" the opposition with a good stiff arm. He will go after the opposition physically in the hard areas like the front of the net. He doesn't back down from any challenges be it from opposition fighters or hard hits.

To top it all off, he is good defensively. He thinks defense first. Tryamkin is young. He needs to improve a number of things before he is in our top four. But so far, in his limited number of NHL games, there are some very good reasons to like the RAM!

14 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I became unglued a little after the last game. Watching him start to take the body and shove players around was impressive. I was sure that I heard some ooohs and ahhhs from the St. Louis fans in attendance. Then when Reaves backed down from Pedan and then Pedan and Tryamkin were standing side by side in the crease and Reaves got puppy dog eyes and skated away. I'm pissed if those 2 aren't in the lineup next year.

I noticed that with Thornton in the Winnipeg game.... he didn't want any part of them

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Yotes said:

wonder if he got a penalty for covering the puck with his hand, or a penalty shot as it was in the crease

The video review showed that Tryamkin did not cover the puck with his hand so no penalty was called.

Will be interesting to see what kind of logjam this creates in our defense next year. Didn't think that's something I'd ever thought I'd say but with:

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Tryamkin

Hamhuis-Sbisa

Pedan-Larsen 

Assuming Hamhuis resigns which I think he will. I think its safe to say all 8 guys will be needed just based on the injury troubles we've seen this year. Do you run with this going forward and see how the young guys develop? Or do you try and sign someone or made a trade to shore it up more? I'd definitely like to see Pedan get an extended chance because that'll add some more size and toughness but possibly at the sacrifice of skill and experience. Really interesting to see how it'll play out.

2 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

This guy looks like the equivalent of a 1st round pick. If we win the lotto or at least get a top 3 pick maybe our luck is changing. 

Lets just be thankful that a 3rd rounder finally looks like they're panning out for us.

I don't need to remind people on here about past 3rd rounders like Honzik, Rahimi and Connauton (made it but not with us).

The last 3rd rounder to have an impact for us was Edler from the 2004 draft. At least the last the last few drafts look pretty good with Brisebois, Tryamkin, and Cassels (struggling, but should be better next season).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

I became unglued a little after the last game. Watching him start to take the body and shove players around was impressive. I was sure that I heard some ooohs and ahhhs from the St. Louis fans in attendance. Then when Reaves backed down from Pedan and then Pedan and Tryamkin were standing side by side in the crease and Reaves got puppy dog eyes and skated away. I'm pissed if those 2 aren't in the lineup next year.

well you know Tryamkin will be but Im wondering if WD is a Pedan fan.not dressed tonight to get Weber in on a mean nothing game makes no sense.

Edited by ShakyWalton
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ShakyWalton said:

well you know Tryamkin will be but Im wondering if WD is a Pedan fan.

Willie is a Weber fan, his opinion is irrelevant.

I would be surprised if he coaches the final year of his contract anyways. It seems obvious to me that the type of team Benning values and the one Willie values appears to be quite different. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

well you know Tryamkin will be but Im wondering if WD is a Pedan fan.not dressed tonight to get Weber in on a mean nothing game makes no sense.

Yeah the love affair with Weber doesn't make any sense. Given the mistakes that they are both prone to, Pedan is still the better option based on his physical play alone.

• Upvote 2