The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

From Pass It To Bulis:

Finally, a word on Nikita Tryamkin, who continues to impress in his first year with Vancouver. Tryamkin has already adjusted to the NHL game nicely, and it's interesting now to watch the rest of the skaters adjust to him. All throughout the evening, Anaheim players were backing off Tryamkin's corner and adjusting their lanes so as to avoid colliding with him. On one Duck dump-in, it initially looked like Tryamkin was going back for the puck, and the forecheckers held up. Then, when Hutton turned to retrieve it instead, they went in after him. Basically it's the same strategy teams use against Zdeno Chara. And it makes sense. Tryamkin's just so flippin' big.

• Upvote 4

I'm actually excited to see our D next year after a hopefully eventful summer (trades/UFA... maybe even a draftee) and with the addition of a more seasoned/acclimated and even stronger Tryamkin. 

He (and hopefully some other large moves) could be a major revelation to our currently mediocre and mish-mash D core. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

If we don't land a top 3 Sergechev looks like a great option as a pairing for Tryamkin..I was hoping somehow Pedan would be but it looks like he's in tough to make the line up right now which is too bad. Maybe all 3?The Russian mafia back there next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If we don't land a top 3 Sergechev looks like a great option as a pairing for Tryamkin..I was hoping somehow Pedan would be but it looks like he's in tough to make the line up right now which is too bad. Maybe all 3?The Russian mafia back there next year. 

Ya I had a lot higher hopes for Pedan as well. Would have been an awesome bottom pairing if Pedan was more responsible in his own end. Unfortunately he seems to be stuck in the middle of not being good enough offensively to make up for his defensive lapses and not good enough defensively to make up for his lack of offense. 

2 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

From Pass It To Bulis:

Finally, a word on Nikita Tryamkin, who continues to impress in his first year with Vancouver. Tryamkin has already adjusted to the NHL game nicely, and it's interesting now to watch the rest of the skaters adjust to him. All throughout the evening, Anaheim players were backing off Tryamkin's corner and adjusting their lanes so as to avoid colliding with him. On one Duck dump-in, it initially looked like Tryamkin was going back for the puck, and the forecheckers held up. Then, when Hutton turned to retrieve it instead, they went in after him. Basically it's the same strategy teams use against Zdeno Chara. And it makes sense. Tryamkin's just so flippin' big.

Hmmm, so what would happen if we had 6 Tryamkins?

;)

The more I think of it the more I believe defense will help us stay in close games next year...battle for the close games with our goaltending..and push our forwards to come out of their shell offensively. Plus I think down the road ...playoffs respectability even

It's the chemistry of who we keep back there..Sergechev or Chychrun..or a blue chip PMD? the writing is on the wall for waive me weber and bartkowski. 

(...or trade down to Sercgechev/Chychrun and add a draft pick?)

2 hours ago, J.R. said:

I'm actually excited to see our D next year after a hopefully eventful summer (trades/UFA... maybe even a draftee) and with the addition of a more seasoned/acclimated and even stronger Tryamkin. 

He (and hopefully some other large moves) could be a major revelation to our currently mediocre and mish-mash D core. 

Edler-Tanev and Hutton-Tryamkin are a credible but not great top 4, certainly less of a mish-mash than what we got by on this year.  Probably Hamhuis-Sbisa will be our bottom pairing.  The only thing that really excites me about that lineup is Tryamkin's and Hutton's upside. 

If Pedan could become reliable enough to play regularly, our D would suddenly have critical mass for a tough physical identity but as of now, that looks too optimistic.  They aren't giving him the same chance to work through his puck-handling issues that Sbisa got.  But if Tryamkin, Pedan and Sbisa could all earn a place on our D, we'd be looking way better against those California teams.  That would be exciting. 

Failing that, it comes down to a key UFA signing or trade, as you suggest.  I'm just not sure that either is likely. 

3 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

It's the chemistry of who we keep back there..Sergechev or Chychrun..or a blue chip PMD? the writing is on the wall for waive me weber and bartkowski. 

It was penciled in from the time they signed, and has been pretty much etched-in for months.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Edler-Tanev and Hutton-Tryamkin are a credible but not great top 4, certainly less of a mish-mash than what we got by on this year.  Probably Hamhuis-Sbisa will be our bottom pairing.  The only thing that really excites me about that lineup is Tryamkin's and Hutton's upside. 

If Pedan could become reliable enough to play regularly, our D would suddenly have critical mass for a tough physical identity but as of now, that looks too optimistic.  They aren't giving him the same chance to work through his puck-handling issues that Sbisa got.  But if Tryamkin, Pedan and Sbisa could all earn a place on our D, we'd be looking way better against those California teams.  That would be exciting. 

Failing that, it comes down to a key UFA signing or trade, as you suggest.  I'm just not sure that either is likely. 

Tryamkin would be the only minute muncher of our top five tha plays a physical game.  Edler used to, but he's a softy now.  Tanev is a bean pole softy.  Hutton has the offence to compensate for being soft (so we like him eating minutes) and Hamuis is just WAY overpaid for a guy who puts up 10 points and plays soft.  That leaves us (if we want to be a Cup team) with Hutton and Tryamkin.  

TRADING EDLER AND TANEV, might be a good idea, if building a Cup team is what JB is doing.  

44 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Ya I had a lot higher hopes for Pedan as well. Would have been an awesome bottom pairing if Pedan was more responsible in his own end. Unfortunately he seems to be stuck in the middle of not being good enough offensively to make up for his defensive lapses and not good enough defensively to make up for his lack of offense. 

According to the latest Willie comments (see Pedan topic) they are auditioning him for LW position...

On March 22, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Erik Karlsson said:

Let me guess, you have the ceaser cut or a buzz cut? Virt's hair is in style these days old man. :P

I'm not young nor old, I was happy when this cut came back because I've been wearing it on and off for 20 years lol was popular back in high school too lol.. His age group is stealing my styles!  Now these dudes with the beards.. Ugh next thing you know everybody will be wearing plaid.. Wait what? ;) 

28 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

It was penciled in from the time they signed, and has been pretty much etched-in for months.

Quite so. There was a reason Weber and Bart only received one year deals. They had to handsomely exceed expectations to be rewarded with a serious role, and longer contract. Management bet on them being just fill.

It was the key reason I had serious trepidations about the season.

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Tryamkin would be the only minute muncher of our top five tha plays a physical game.  Edler used to, but he's a softy now.  Tanev is a bean pole softy.  Hutton has the offence to compensate for being soft (so we like him eating minutes) and Hamuis is just WAY overpaid for a guy who puts up 10 points and plays soft.  That leaves us (if we want to be a Cup team) with Hutton and Tryamkin.  

TRADING EDLER AND TANEV, might be a good idea, if building a Cup team is what JB is doing.  

You are undervaluing Edler. And particularly Tanev. Did some of us not notice as soon as Tanev came back we stopped giving up 40 odd shots a game?

I undervalued Tanev a couple of years ago. He has solidly earned my respect!

That said, in  perfect world he's not a number one pairing guy.  But the fact that he plays so well that he is our best option there is not his fault.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Quite so. There was a reason Weber and Bart only received one year deals. They had to handsomely exceed expectations to be rewarded with a serious role, and longer contract. Management bet on them being just fill.

It was the key reason I had serious trepidations about the season.

You are undervaluing Edler. And particularly Tanev. Did some of us not notice as soon as Tanev came back we stopped giving up 40 odd shots a game?

I undervalued Tanev a couple of years ago. He has solidly earned my respect!

That said, in  perfect world he's not a number one pairing guy.  But the fact that he plays so well that he is our best option there is not his fault.

I like Tanev too, but we need him to either play a harder game, or get more points, for top four money.  IMHAO, of course.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Edler is just fine so long as he's not the ONLY top 4 physical option.

IMO he's been forced to play a far more conservative role both physically and offensively than he'd both prefer and is suited to because of the makeup of our D the last few years. 

That's not his fault. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I noticed, new contract in hand, he came back from summer training cut, toned, but having put some serious muscle on his shoulders, neck and arms from previous years. He's not the same skinny Chris Tanev from 2 or 3 years ago.

I had argued your point (more or less) as a leverage point in threads on how much of a contract he should receive last summer. But at the end of the day $4.45 mill (AAV) is nowhere near big money for a key defender. Its fine, in fact attractive, for a solid / reliable top 4 D man. In reality he has earned an everyday top 4 NHL D role on almost any team. Tanev has been on our top pair, our best option considering who we have, for over a year and a half now. And played well.

Its just another reality we have several guys who are geared to being defence first guys (Hammer, Tanev, Tree). We need more than one guy, Hutton, who is fluid with the puck. And its not like Hutton has hit upper echelons yet as the lone guy either.(Although a 25/26 point pace for a rookie is pretty damn good.) We needed more guys who are physical. That is being resolved with Tryamkin, Sbisa Pedan. We need the next dimension new to add to that!

Whether the next guy is a hybrid (Chychrun) or pure puck mover (UFA / Juolevi / Bean) remains to be seen?

A guy who can break down teams from the point is a critical must have right now. Who can also fly up ice with the puck, break pressure, and start the rush. Similarly whether Hutton can carry that to a high level also remains to be seen. But look at Calgary (cough, last year). Dallas, Washington, LA and Anaheim also come to mind. These are teams having guys on as many as three pairings who draw attention to the point. Because if you don't they will score on you. Breaking into the middle frees up lanes and space for the forwards. Look how limited the Twins are when our D can only rotate the puck outside along the perimeter, rarely creating any meaningful  attack into the middle?

Back on topic > Finally having a guy who can clear the crease with Tree the last few weeks has been such a treat!

Fabulous post.  I learned a lot here.

how about a guy like Girard in round two?  In three years he might look pretty darned good beside a Pedan, or Tryamkin.