The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

Just saw the news—so disappointing.

I had Tryamkin as one of the cornerstones of the rebuild. However, he was only one piece of a complex puzzle so management will just have to revise their plans accordingly. As one door closes, another invariably opens—we'll see.

Tram at the end of his presser said he wanted to stay in Van.  So have to think money did come into play.   Why would he lie about something like that when all he has to say is he will talk to his agent

I liked Tram, but he was one of a few Nucks that got weaker as the season progressed.   He wore down pretty quick.    Next season he would not be top 4.  Gud, Hutton, Stech,  Tanev, Sbisa, Elder are better options.   I think as well Juolevi will be here with the club.  

My hunch with Tram as other media have noted is that he doesn't quite like the NHL game nor the role he would have to play.   I don't think he has the maturity or motivation at this time to commit to the NHL.  It was said on the radio today that the prez or GM of his russian team had warned that Tram going was not a good idea at the time.  He appears to be right.

Tram is good enough to play in the NHL but at the moment he does not have mindset or commitment to be a top 4 guy who gets paid like one.  So it appears he has decided on an easier road.  The K is not even the second best league in the world, the A is .  That is fine, but that should give you some insight to what exactly his 'unlimited potential is'.    If you want to be the best and be rewarded as such, you do not leave the best league in the world .   That is his mindset people.   He came to camp thinking he would play into shape - no team does that these days.  

The team never really set him up for success and that is unfortunate. You can tell Nikita is a sensitive guy and needed confidence that the coaching staff never seemed to want to give him. Part of me wonders if there has been interest in Nikita from the Russian Olympic Federation about playing in 2018, hence the sudden bolt back to Russia? He would have to be active outside of the NHL to qualify for a spot on the team (Correct me if i'm wrong). As someone who has watched Nikita since his first season with Yekaterinburg and followed his progression closely I am disappointed with the way things have played out, but am hopeful that he will return down the road.
Damn, a tough season made just a little tougher. Wonder if Linden and Benning will be able to get all that egg off their faces in time for the draft?

In spite of his size he comes across as more of a "gentle giant" than a Stevens/Pronger/Chara/Byfuglien type. I don't think he's too interested in the physical stuff. He can do it when needed but he'd rather not.

38 minutes ago, ynwa said:

In spite of his size he comes across as more of a "gentle giant" than a Stevens/Pronger/Chara/Byfuglien type. I don't think he's too interested in the physical stuff. He can do it when needed but he'd rather not.

agreed and he should have been let to play his game as trying to change him lost ice time when his game was great defensive already

Nikita was hyped to be the next v2 of Chara, physically in stature you could compare him to that, but like many have said Tryamkin never had an innate drive to be nasty like Chara, Pronger, Stevens etc.

Dave Tomlinson Canucks tsn analyst commented that during the game in Dallas, afterwards, he was interviewing Tryamkin when he fought Benn and Seguin came to slash him, Nikita was perplexed asking Dave why they were doing it based on a clean check.  Not only is Nikita not want to engage in that kind of play, but he doesn't seem to understand the North American style of hockey.

Gentle giant, reminds me of Marek Malik.  Being mean was never part of his game, but was thrusted onto him because of his size.  You could see instead of being physical, he wanted to be apart of the plays, set players up, and skate.

Its a shame he didn't stick around because I saw a lot of potential in him anchoring the blueline.  We lose quite the  imposing figure on the backend that was constantly being trampled over the past few years.

I wonder how much the Olympics played a role in his decision. I seem to remember a game against the Capitals where Ovechkin talked to Tryamkin. It would make sense that he only signed a one year contract so that he could go win an Olympic medal, the timing this year is wonderful for Russia. And then next year he'd be free to come back if he wants to. This gives him a year to better his English, a year to log on huge minutes in the KHL and practice the stuff he's learned in NA. 
This would also explain his comments at the season end presser. 

After all, this could be just like Sobotka's decision to go back for a couple of years before returning. Let's not give up on Tryamkin yet. 

Edited by Brobidus
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brobidus said:

I wonder how much the Olympics played a role in his decision. I seem to remember a game against the Capitals where Ovechkin talked to Tryamkin. It would make sense that he only signed a one year contract so that he could go win an Olympic medal, the timing this year is wonderful for Russia. And then next year he'd be free to come back if he wants to. This gives him a year to better his English, a year to log on huge minutes in the KHL and practice the stuff he's learned in NA. 
This would also explain his comments at the season end presser. 

After all, this could be just like Sobotka's decision to go back for a couple of years before returning. Let's not give up on Tryamkin yet. 

The Nucks have him until July 1st 22.    The idea was to develop him and that would mean being a 5 and 6 guy for the foreseeable future.  However, he obviously did not agree with that.   What are you supposed to do, get rid of better players.  

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Perspective?..Have you seen the pic with his lady, ferGawdsakes?!

Yes I have.   The decision to go back was not solely about family.  

Perspective? ... Have you read his interview, ferPetesakes?    

8 hours ago, samurai said:

The Nucks have him until July 1st 22.    The idea was to develop him and that would mean being a 5 and 6 guy for the foreseeable future.  However, he obviously did not agree with that.   What are you supposed to do, get rid of better players. 

What better players?

Is Sbisa a better player?

I like Stecher, but is he an overall better player and more impactful than Tryamkin?

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What better players?

Is Sbisa a better player?

I like Stecher, but is he an overall better player and more impactful than Tryamkin?

First, as well documented by pundits and play, Stech over the course of the season was a better puck distributor than any other D.   First, among D with points, Elder was second.  First year pro by the way.   Tram has 5-6 years of pro hockey.  The NHL game is about D's moving pucks so to take Tram over Stech is a non-starter. 

Sbisa  and the Sedins are the only players that played the full 82.  What is amazing about Luca is that he was only -1 on the season. Our team was 6th overall for goals allowed. You must have watched this season.  Perhaps Tram has more 'future potential' but to say he is right now better than Sbisa is incorrect. Yeah more popular with the fans for sure.  Sbisa at the start of the year was arguably our best D.  

However, I will agree that at times especially early in the season it was a bit of a head shaker that Hutton was getting more ice time than Tram.  I would toss in Gud.   But in fairness to Gud he had a medical issue and his sample size is small.   However, as one person who has looked at the data noted, as the season went on Tram was getting close to the same time as everyone else.  Early in the year no.  This I am going back to the K because of ice time does not hold when you look at the latter half of the season, not to mention we got a coach change here.

If you look at my older posts I was probably the only person on this site saying that Willie was not dealing with the Russian properly.  For example suggestion Goldy lacked intensity.  

Do I think Tram is a good player, yes, could he be a top 4 guy, yes for sure.  But depth wise I would not put him ahead of the two you mentioned nor Tanev, nor Elder, and would probably toss a coin between him and Hutton.  Hutton was one of the few Nucks that played better as the season went on. Tram was clearly better at the start of the season, but the last 30 games, not sure about that.  As for Gud as I said the sample size is small, but Gud offers something on the backend that Tram doesn't which is heavyweight toughness.     Gud is also a hitter.  Tram a reluctant one.

Valk in March said imagine what would have happened with Tram iif Gud had been healthy as with other D's.  He was skeptical if Tram would be a regular.  I agree.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/20/2017 at 11:00 AM, poetica said:

I really liked Tryamkin and am saddened that he won't be returning. I wish he'd like playing here enough to work his way up the pairings. But, if someone doesn't want to be here then what's the point?

Wish him all the best.

We still own him. I think he goes back to win a gold medal and then comes back here. otherwise why only sign a one year deal? if he has hopes of the NHL anytime soon it will be with us.

7 minutes ago, samurai said:

First, as well documented by pundits and play, Stech over the course of the season was a better puck distributor than any other D.   First, among D with points, Elder was second.  First year pro by the way.   Tram has 5-6 years of pro hockey.  The NHL game is about D's moving pucks so to take Tram over Stech is a non-starter. 

Sbisa  and the Sedins are the only players that played the full 82.  What is amazing about Luca is that he was only -1 on the season. Our team was 6th overall for goals allowed. You must have watched this season.  Perhaps Tram has more 'future potential' but to say he is right now better than Sbisa is incorrect. Yeah more popular with the fans for sure.  Sbisa at the start of the year was arguably our best D.  

However, I will agree that at times especially early in the season it was a bit of a head shaker that Hutton was getting more ice time than Tram.  I would toss in Gud.   But in fairness to Gud he had a medical issue and his sample size is small.   However, as one person who has looked at the data noted, as the season went on Tram was getting close to the same time as everyone else.  Early in the year no.  This I am going back to the K because of ice time does not hold when you look at the latter half of the season, not to mention we got a coach change here.

If you look at my older posts I was probably the only person on this site saying that Willie was not dealing with the Russian properly.  For example suggestion Goldy lacked intensity.  

Do I think Tram is a good player, yes, could he be a top 4 guy, yes for sure.  But depth wise I would not put him ahead of the two you mentioned nor Tanev, nor Elder, and would probably toss a coin between him and Hutton.  Hutton was one of the few Nucks that played better as the season went on. Tram was clearly better at the start of the season, but the last 30 games, not sure about that.  As for Gud as I said the sample size is small, but Gud offers something on the backend that Tram doesn't which is heavyweight toughness.     Gud is also a hitter.  Tram a reluctant one.

Valk in March said imagine what would have happened with Tram iif Gud had been healthy as with other D's.  He was skeptical if Tram would be a regular.  I agree.  

I've said since last year, and got bashed for it Sbisa is a good defenceman and will only get better, How can he be only a minus 1? that  shows how solid he is back there. pretty sure we had to protect trs=am doesn't khl time count? if so then now we can protect pizza man. Not worried about the loss of tram I hope I will be proven right. I think Tanev and Edler are both gone by the end of the draft. If I'm wrong ill be the first to admit it and take my whipping lol.