The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthias is a beast

dalredane

Where are all the sell high Matthias folks?

I never suggested trading Matthias but any good GM is always willing to listen. JB will not be looking to trade to Matthias but if a great offer comes along he would have to consider it.

Realistically, Matthias has to be in a hot streak right now and will experience "regression to the mean". It is very unusual for a player at his career stage to suddenly make a dramatic sustained improvement in performance (like Giordino in Calgary will slow down in the second half of the season).

But Matthias has shown that he can be a solid contributor on the 3rd line. He is better on the wing than at center and had to learn to position again. And he has said that this is his first NHL experience on a winning team and that he is really enjoying it. In fact, in his entire career since the start of junior he has only once been in a deep playoff run (his 3rd year in Junior). That helps too.

His defensive play is still not great but if he spends the entire game in the opponent's end (as he did tonight against Pittsburgh) that is not much of a problem. He really did have a great game tonight.

Imagine what Luongo brings back to this team if he is not saddled with that ridiculous contract?

Matthias for Luongo. Great trade.

Well now we have Miller, so trade was Luongo for Miller, Markstrom, and Matthias if you want to look at it that way

He's playing great....his upside could be something previously unimagined.

Unless of course, someone were to have actually have had an idea who he was before he got here.

Matthias had 14 goals in the strike shortened season. In other words a 29 goal pace (14 in 48) playing for the most part 3rd line minutes in Florida.

Right now he has 6 in 26 - a 19 goal pace - which has certainly picked up of late, but by no means is Shawn Matthias' potential an untold mystery just emerging before our eyes.

Matthias was a target long before he became a Canuck - during the Luongo to Florida speculation that also took place for quite some time before it actually transpired.

There were simply a number of people daft enough to whine about that deal, not really having any idea who/what Matthias is - or Markstrom for that matter.

He's becoming kassians potential.

No, he has his very own potential - and constantly playing Matthias, Vey and Kassian off each other is already getting quite stale around here.

That line was dead in the water until Kassian left.

Vey has provided stability.

As others have mentioned, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about here. Not only has that line been very effective for some time now, but what's evident is that you also have no idea what actually happened tonight.

Radio.

Old hockey players don't need the eye candy you youngsters rely upon.

At one time the whole country relied upon it to follow the NHL.

Now I've heard it all. nucknit hears it all! Listens to a game on the radio and purports to know better than the kids feeding on 'eye candy' - in other words, people who actually watch the games lol.

The height of arrogance.

Vey didn't actually factor into any of the goals tonight. Derp. Played well, yes, but with all due respect, Richardson and Matthias do not require the "stabiility" of a rookie. What nonsense and nothing more than a ridiculous and compulsive obsession to reduce Kassian. You need to get a life of your own on that matter and let go of the absurdity.

The goals tonight were the result primiarly of a two man forecheck - Matthias to Richardson, Richardson to Matthias, Hansen to Richardson.....but thanks for coming out. I guess you heard all that on the radio though, right.

Where are all the sell high Matthias folks?

I had my hand up as being willing to trade Mathias.

Not that I called it selling high, which I did not do as some may have.

Look, Mathias is playing desperate hockey right now. He is applying puck pressure, fore-checking, winning board battles, hustling for pucks; in short working his butt off. He is also rewarding himself for his efforts by finishing.

He did not do all those things last year. Or at the start of the season. Thats why he is doing better. But he has now and has earned more of our respect. So Iam doing an about face. I'm getting pretty excited to keep him at this moment!

But lets also remember; 4 goals / 6 points in the last 5 games translates to a 100 points a season. If he was that good always? His previous season highs were 24 points and 14 goals. Its been a good month and an even better 5 games!

Lets wait a while before we anoint him Todd Bertuzzi status. :P

Gillis got us Richardson and Matthias for nothing.

Just shows you he was still a good G.M.

A couple mistakes that TSN and the media ran with to make him a villain.

Players currently on our roster that Gillis traded for, signed, or picked up from waivers: Hamhuis, Tanev, Lack, Higgins, Richardson, Matthias, Weber, Horvat, Kassian, Stanton, Sestito

Prospects that Gilis acquired without using our own draft picks: Markstrom, Cassels, Eriksson, Archibald, Zalewski, Kenins, Fox, McEneny, Friesen

The total assets he traded for all those players: Luongo, Schneider, Hodgson, Alex Sulzer, Evan Oberg, Steven Anthony, Mathieu Schneider, Samuelsson, Sturm

This is how I see our bottom six eventually looks barring any trades:

Matthias - Horvat - Kassian

Dorsett - Richardson - Hansen

That's probably one of the most well-rounded bottom sixes in the league. Third line consists of absolute beasts and the fourth line is an excellent wear the opponent down type line.

Unless of course, someone were to have actually have had an idea who he was before he got here.

Matthias had 14 goals in the strike shortened season. In other words a 29 goal pace (14 in 48) playing for the most part 3rd line minutes in Florida.

Right now he has 6 in 26 - a 19 goal pace - which has certainly picked up of late, but by no means is Shawn Matthias' potential an untold mystery just emerging before our eyes.

Matthias was a target long before he became a Canuck - during the Luongo to Florida speculation that also took place for quite some time before it actually transpired.

There were simply a number of people daft enough to whine about that deal, not really having any idea who/what Matthias is - or Markstrom for that matter.

No, he has his very own potential - and constantly playing Matthias, Vey and Kassian off each other is already getting quite stale around here.

As others have mentioned, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about here. Not only has that line been very effective for some time now, but what's evident is that you also have no idea what actually happened tonight.

Now I've heard it all. nucknit hears it all! Listens to a game on the radio and purports to know better than the kids feeding on 'eye candy' - in other words, people who actually watch the games lol.

The height of arrogance.

Vey didn't actually factor into any of the goals tonight. Derp. Played well, yes, but with all due respect, Richardson and Matthias do not require the "stabiility" of a rookie. What nonsense and nothing more than a ridiculous and compulsive obsession to reduce Kassian. You need to get a life of your own on that matter and let go of the absurdity.

The goals tonight were the result primiarly of a two man forecheck - Matthias to Richardson, Richardson to Matthias, Hansen to Richardson.....but thanks for coming out. I guess you heard all that on the radio though, right.

you the real mvp tonite

Had a very slow start but I'm glad we didn't fire the trigger and trade him. Should definately keep him until at least the end of the season. Matthias and Richardson may have their contracts ending this year and may be replaceable (with Horvat and Gaunce), but we should try to keep hold of one of them, particularly the younger, bigger Matthias. His size and speed forechecking has caused these smaller Eastern defencemen havoc in the last couple of games and having him on a 3rd line will break playoff games wide open.

You have changed your tune somewhat.

Anyway glad to see some people finally realising what I have said for a while. He is the type of player (we wrongly thought we had in Booth and Kassian) we don't really have and he has fallen into our lap.

Not just referring to goals/points, but with that size and big stride up and down the wing, he represents something that might be very useful against the bigger teams that have proven to give the Canucks trouble in the past few years. He could be a difference-maker in that regard.

Online radio.

Even when I am in North America I listen to the radio.

Far better coverage.

I don't care how you try to spin it... Saying you can get an accurate analysis on how a player is playing by listening to the radio is just stupid.. That's like saying a blind man knows how beautiful a woman is in a movie cause described video says so... YOU CANNOT SCOUT A GAME VIA RADIO! Makes more sense now why you have no idea how are players are ACTUALLY playing.

Archived