The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Dreger) Canucks and Bruins talking trade

Southpop45

yeah, that's true. what's your point?

He's suggesting that Nino is significantly better/more valuable than Kassian, which is simply not true. Better offense, surely. More upside, probably. But Kass is an asset that every GM in the league wants in their system. Lack + Kass could absolutely get us Nino in terms of fair value, but I'm not sure Minny does it.

The goalie market is probably at its best in terms of demand with Min, Det, Philly and maybe St.Louis (Allen is struggling, Brodeur is too old; will they still stick with Elliot for a cup run?) needing a 1A/1B goalie.

Lack has the highest value and Markstrom can easily take reign from Miller over 3 years.

Lack and Friesen for Nino and a low pick

Which of Matthias or Richardson is the playmaker that is going to get the puck and deftly feed it back to Kassian for the goal? Matthias takes it to the net before all else and is not a great passer. Richardson has scored above his pay grade this season and really is not a good offensive player at all. That lines production comes from hard work more than skill. So unless the Canucks put Kassian with the Sedins or Bonino that is not the style he will be playing.

Kassian as a passer is very underrated and he is a very good playmaker. His number of assists is not really the end all and be all because there are examples pretty much every game where Kassian makes a beauty pass only to see it end up in the crest or otherwise not in the net. Some of that is certainly on his quality of linemates over the years. Having said that, I agree that to be an effective player on the offensive side of the puck they should be putting Kassian in that kind of role with talented offensive players. He does a serviceable job with Matthias and Richardson but it is a waste of his natural abilities. He does need to get in the play more and to the front of the net.

If Kassian was a play maker; he would constantly be handling the puck and driving the play. The key distribution artery!

Thats just not the case. The mere fact he can pass is not enough. One nice pass every 4 to 7 periods doesn't cut it.

He is not a routine threat to undress guys with moves nor elite in puck handling / puck possession. Just not his skill set. Its a positive he can rotate the puck or make a pass when he does get it. I gave a fair projection as to where he could use his skills and physical attributes to best capacity in the thread you responded to.

The point was if Kassian and his beast of a NHL body won more pucks, cycled harder and drove the net more, with and without the puck; he would be on the 1st or 2knd line. Where there are better play makers to feed him.

Desjardins gave a regular roster spot to Horvat - the first teenager to have a regular role with the team since Kesler. Last I checked, Bo had no connection to Medicine Hat.

The whole favouritism slant is ridiculous. WD wants to win, plain and simple. If he had another guy who could consistently score, then you can be damn sure he'd be giving him top-6 minutes.

If we could do Lack + for Nino, then I'm all for it. Perhaps Minny would jump at the chance to bring a lighthearted, cheery guy like Lack into the dressing room. They have had a lot of downers in the last while (Bob Suter, JP Parise, Harding's MS, etc...).

Horvat and Kassian have not played anywhere other than the bottom 2 lines, and they both get little pp time, Horvat gets none at all. Kassian at the very least should be slotted in to the top 6 once in a while to see what happens, but apparently only Vey is allowed that privilege.

Horvat and Kassian have not played anywhere other than the bottom 2 lines, and they both get little pp time, Horvat gets none at all. Kassian at the very least should be slotted in to the top 6 once in a while to see what happens, but apparently only Vey is allowed that privilege.

Seem to remember Kass getting ice time with the Sedins and Kesler before.

If Kassian was a play maker; he would constantly be handling the puck and driving the play. The key distribution artery!

Thats just not the case. The mere fact he can pass is not enough. One nice pass every 4 to 7 periods doesn't cut it.

He is not a routine threat to undress guys with moves nor elite in puck handling / puck possession. Just not his skill set. Its a positive he can rotate the puck or make a pass when he does get it. I gave a fair projection as to where he could use his skills and physical attributes to best capacity in the thread you responded to.

The point was if Kassian and his beast of a NHL body won more pucks, cycled harder and drove the net more, with and without the puck; he would be on the 1st or 2knd line. Where there are better play makers to feed him.

people on here regularly make the mistake of classifying every player that tends to pass better/more frequently than he shoots as a playmaker.

its silly.

He's suggesting that Nino is significantly better/more valuable than Kassian, which is simply not true. Better offense, surely. More upside, probably. But Kass is an asset that every GM in the league wants in their system. Lack + Kass could absolutely get us Nino in terms of fair value, but I'm not sure Minny does it.

I'm a big Kassian fan however can you elaborate on how he is more of an asset then Nino?

The reason I ask is cause if you're going to say size and muscle, well I agree but the problem is Kassian isn't using it effectively at all this season.

This rumour is dreamed up by 1040 and cdc folks jump all over it. I can't imagine Minnesota doing this.

The goalie market is probably at its best in terms of demand with Min, Det, Philly and maybe St.Louis (Allen is struggling, Brodeur is too old; will they still stick with Elliot for a cup run?) needing a 1A/1B goalie.

Lack has the highest value and Markstrom can easily take reign from Miller over 3 years.

Good luck with that.

Why does everyone keep mentioning biased towards top 6 for kassian

Than line received more ice time last game then the bonino line

How man times does willy have to state that there are no numbers on the lines

Whichever line is playing the best gets more ice time

Pretty much every coach in the history of hockey has said that.

Umm....you do know the definition of "playmaker" as opposed to "sniper" or "grinder" or "enforcer", right? Like as in the ability to distribute the puck to make offensive plays. Kassian is definitely one of the best on our team not named Sedin at making consistently good passes under difficult circumstances to create chances. That is what playmakers do.

well, knucklehead85, some canucks fans like to get to attached to the players. They feel as though trading somebody is some how "giving up" on them, and when kassian doesnt pan out he gets run out of town by said fans.

on the other hand, some canucks fans feel as though trading kassian could benifit the team, in a more guaranteed way, like a pmd d named morrow

on the third hand there is no evidence that boston had interest in kassian specificly so really you make a good point....

so who are you guys intetested in on the boston roster?

well, knucklehead85, some canucks fans like to get to attached to the players. They feel as though trading somebody is some how "giving up" on them, and when kassian doesnt pan out he gets run out of town by said fans.

on the other hand, some canucks fans feel as though trading kassian could benifit the team, in a more guaranteed way, like a pmd d named morrow

on the third hand there is no evidence that boston had interest in kassian specificly so really you make a good point....

so who are you guys intetested in on the boston roster?

Lucic and Chara. :)

Griffith probably unavailable and we have a Spooner in Vey. Cunningham, Canucks don't like hard working Vancouver Giants. We cant undo McCann over Pastrnak so I guess Khochalachev only, but that wont make us much better this season

Hamilton wont go stop dreaming, so Morrow, but his three assists wont make a difference this year either

Lucic is this months Seabrook or Franzen. CDC thinks their teams will dump them because they have large, although justified contracts. Then the dumbies on here say no we dont want these great stars, they have bad attitudes or bad contracts

So out of Boston, I cant see much happening, especially now that they are winning, and also got to send scouts to watch Bieksa Kassian and Higgins light it up this month. Minnesota or Detroit are the more likely trade partners. A deal involving Lack is the only way to improve in a position (forward), without getting worse in another (unless we deal a prospect or 1st for an NHLer, which I highly doubt)

Reality is, the only thing that will fix this team is time. Trades are not won or lost until two or three years down the road. We are not getting rentals either, so don't expect us to get better on paper this year, just different, maybe even worse (younger). Noones gonna give us an impact player for Friesen and a 6th

Lack+fwd for better fwd and Hamhuis' return. Thats the only thing fans should expect. Each team has an average player step up every so often. Besides Tanev, last ones we had were Burrows and Bieksa a decade ago. Maybe Jensen pulls a repeat of last year and actually builds off that instead of regressing. Other then that, I dont see any drastic individual improvement from within (this season)

The time to rebuild is coming ever so much closer with this team. I still wouldn't pull the trigger on Kassian, I'd pull the trigger on maybe Vrbata, Higgs, Richo. I love all the boys but at some point we have to be realistic here.

Archived