The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we Re-sign Shawn Matthias

Outsiders

339 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Honestly I just wish higgy would turn it around... Its tough to see him go through this stretch.

I think a change of scenery might do him well. I'd definitely keep Hansen and Matthias long term though.

Any other top 9 forwards we could possibly swap higgy for? He does have the LNTC

Does he have a set team limit regarding his NTC like Miller and Vrbata got?

I would move him for a pick. We maybe could get a 2nd considering what he brings to a team and also that he's signed for two more seasons after this one at a reasonable price.

He's been one of the better players for us this year. They will try to resign him if the deals makes sense.

Right, it depends on the price. He has been a solid bottom 6 guy. HIs current cap hit is $1.75 million and the Canucks will not have enough cap room to pay much more. He would be decent value at $2 million or less and Benning will not go for more than 2 years on a veteran bottom 6 guy. So my prediction is 2 years at 2 million per year -- and I think that is the max he will get from the Canucks. If he wants more he will need to go elsewhere and will have trouble doing much better.

YES PLEASE GET ER DONE BENNING.

Matthias is just what this team needs. A solid 3rd line checker. He'll be great for our bottom 6 now and during our new transition with the core. He's such a great, hardworking player. Him and Hansen need to stay here. Great checkers, work their butts off, everything about Matthias's game I like.

I don't think you guys realize the contracts we have tied up into the bottom six

Burrows, Hansen, Kassian, Higgins, Horvat, Vey are the guys we have contracted or are RFA's (our property)

Not to mention, Benning has indicated Virtanen will be with us + you never know about one of the other prospects like Kenins, or one of our first rounders.

Not to mention Richardson and Dorsett.. and we paid a 3rd for Dorsett.

Does he have a set team limit regarding his NTC like Miller and Vrbata got?

I would move him for a pick. We maybe could get a 2nd considering what he brings to a team and also that he's signed for two more seasons after this one at a reasonable price.

Hmmm it used to say on cap geek but that website is gone :S

I think he either gets a choice of 10 teams he'll go to our 10 teams he won't go to.

I don't think you guys realize the contracts we have tied up into the bottom six

Burrows, Hansen, Kassian, Higgins, Horvat, Vey are the guys we have contracted or are RFA's (our property)

Not to mention, Benning has indicated Virtanen will be with us + you never know about one of the other prospects like Kenins, or one of our first rounders.

Not to mention Richardson and Dorsett.. and we paid a 3rd for Dorsett.

Sedins- vrbata

Higgins-Bonino-Burrow

Mathais-Horvat-Blank

Dorsett- Vey-Hansen

Blanks could be filled by

Virtanen

Jensen

Gaunce

MCcan(doubtful)

Kenins

this is without a trade, which will probably happen because benning said "If they earn a spot, they will be playing on the Canucks"

We need to get a true 1st line before we can ever compete again for the cup

I think Horvat well be thrid line next year. He is starting to show more offensive ability and should make a jump in production next year. I would except somewhere 30-35 Points next year for Horvat.

As for the Sedins they will be first liners intell we have a COMPLETE first line to replace them with. Probably still 3 years away from that

The question is "does he want to sign here?

The team is three or four years away from competing again, does he wish to spend his prime struggling without testing the free agency first?

Didn't bother to actually read the op?

Matthias on free-agency: "I haven't spoken to (Canucks). I'd would love to be here, I like all the guys, I really do enjoy playing here."

^^^^^^

Definitely resign if possible. Size + speed, will drop 'em, good checker, seems to have finally started to figure out what kind of an NHLer he is going to be. Like Higgins, can slide up/down the lines, and player both wing & center, Like to see a few more goals but who wouldn't

Aahh, all this contract-chat, seemingly endless. It all comes down to October 2013.

Torts had just been intro'd, 1st month, & the contract talks/CDC hand wringing was underway with the twins..the boards here were filled with experts informing us what we HAD to pay. I wanted them at 4.5 mill~5, & was roundly denounced, & felt as if swinging like a broken pinata.

Kept thinking how Sakic closed out his last yrs; signing short-term/reasonable AAV, stating he wanted to be sure he was contributing commensurate to his pie-slice. Really felt the twins needed to take a page from Burnaby's playbook.

We could've settled them nicely into a line-2 slot(over a 3 or 4 yr timeline) & started targeting strategies to build a top line.

Because all this didn't take place, we have cap-pressures filtering down throughout our lineup. Early on this season, we touted our depth, claiming to have 3 third lines, but all these 'tweeners either are being paid appropriately, or expect to be.

So we wanted our cake & eat it too, without tipping the waiter. You either pay your depth, or you PAY your top guys, but unless they're all ELC/bridge young studs(TBay, CBJ) you're getting short-changed somewheres..like it or not.

Archived