The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] MLSE approves major Leafs rebuild; "Mr.Phaneuf & Mr.Kessel are not in the plan"

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if TO "won" this year's draft lottery.

When the owners are also your largest television broadcast client there is a degree of conflict of interest.

I agree, I woudn't be suprised if Toronto "magically" gets the #1 pick, just like 2004 when the Penguins got the top pick (crosby) the same time there was a " build a new arena or we'll move" squabble

I'm not a big fan of Phaneuf but could you imagine If we had a team like:

Sedin

Sedin

Kessel

Bonino

Vrbata

Higgins

Horvat

Burrows

Vey

Richardson

Kassian

Hansen

Matthias

Dorsett

Edler

Hamhuis

Tanev

Bieksa

Phaneuf

Sbisa

Weber

Stanton

Oh God who do we trade!

Man, if we could somehow get Kessel as well as an upgrade on Higgy for the 2nd line that would be a contending top six IMHO

Sedin - Sedin - Kessel

Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - Kassian

Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

McMillan

Imagine what Kessel could do with a playmaking center like Henrik?

Man, if we could somehow get Kessel as well as an upgrade on Higgy for the 2nd line that would be a contending top six IMHO

Sedin - Sedin - Kessel

Burrows - Bonino - Vrbata

Matthias - Horvat - Kassian

Dorsett - Vey - Hansen

McMillan

Imagine what Kessel could do with a playmaking center like Henrik?

That would be AWESOME...especially if we could somehow eat his $8 million salary and also somehow find a capable second line center and winger :bigblush:

They need to wheat out the cancers and make an honest, hard working team. Not a team that's all about the flair, just to entertain their fans.

I think you mean 'weed out' but I get your point. They certainly have issues in their roster from a character perspective that's preventing the talent that is there from doing better. They aren't the best team around, but they should be better than they are.

It might be a chance to get one of their secondary younger players but I'd think the price will be too rich for us to get anything really useful.

1. Some people have already touched on this but in a rebuild, the Leafs will keep those players that are still prospects, young roster players or young enough to still be good in a few years. The players they'll want to get get rid of are those they've given up on and players that are too old to still be around in whatever number of years Leafs management thinks it will take to become competitive after the rebuild.

Younger players might still be moved if the Leafs think they're getting value for them, but they won't be looking to move the good young players and prospects that the Canucks would seek in the Canucks' "retool."

Good young players that fit the Leafs plan for the future would bear a very high asking price. Probably it would take overpayment to get them.

2. Even though it's been clear enough that the Leafs were going to end up heading down this road, I'm sorry to see it. It places them in competition with the Canucks both to acquire young players and to trade veterans.

The Leafs will be looking to change their core and acquire more good young players and good prospects. While everyone looks to acquire those players, a team changing its core looks to youngsters more than an established club. Sorry to say, that means the Leafs are another team-with Arizona, Buffalo and others-that will be placing an increased emphasis on the types of players that the Canucks are also looking to acquire.

3. Similarly, it means there's another team out there anxious to trade away established veterans. Without looking at the Leafs lineup, it means at least in theory that there's more supply of established vets teams are trying to trade.

Many posts on CDC argue in favour of trying to trade some of the veterans on the Canucks (to the extent possible) while value can still be obtained for them. For example, two names often mentioned on CDC for trading are Bieksa and Higgins. I'm not arguing for or against trading the, at least in this post, just using them as examples because other posters often mention them.

Pretty clearly Toronto, in a rebuild, won't be interested in trading for Bieksa or Higgins. There's one less team that might consider taking them.

In fact, those are exactly the type of players Toronto will be looking to move. Just about anybody Toronto has that is about 29 or older will be available. So, there are more players available of the type Canucks also might want to move. A team looking to acquite a player such as Bieksa or Higgins might consider Phaneuf, Clarkson or Lupul instead. They aren't the same players or cap hits, but they are other possible alternative players that are available for a team to consider.

Maybe a team looking to trade a veteran-for example, Toronto, Arizona or Vancouver-might have to take less than it would like to get a team to trade for Vancouver's veteran instead of Arizona's veteran or Toronto's veteran.

Demand for older vets decreases (another team not in the market for them) while supply goes up (another team looking to actively move them) suggests, at least in theory that the cost of acquiring such players (i.e. what they'll bring in trade) could drop That could be exacerbated if some teams are in cap trouble for next year and need to decrease payroll.

Please note-I wasn't forgetting Bieksa's full nor Higgins limited ntc nor advocating for trading them, just using them as examples to try to illustrate the effect of increased supply and decreased demand for vets.

Chevy is rumored to still be looking at making a deal and has a lot of cap space to work with. If the Leafs are looking for a full on rebuild, I can see the Jets pushing hard at JVR. He's locked up long term and the Jets have some major pieces to offer as building blocks in return for JVR, including 2 first round picks in 2015 (not saying they would offer both, but they have chips to play.

If so, the Jets would become the Bruins of the West.

Archived