The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat is essentially our #2 center. Where is his ceiling?

kidkurse

Bo Horvat's ceiling depends on which team he's playing on...if he's involved in a trade with say Edmonton to bring RNH here then he might be a #1 or #2 over there...if for another example a trade is with Boston for Hamilton, then he's their #3. If he's still here after he signs his first RFA contract, then yeah maybe #2. If we trade for a different, younger #1 or #2 centre then Bo could slide down. If a different centre (Bonino/Vey/McCann/Gaunce/Fox) suddenly emerges then it's a whole different scenario again...

You get the picture. It's fun to TRY to predict but honestly, Bo has as much of a chance at scoring 70 points as a sophmore as he does at scoring 20...really hard to predict at this point.

But I will state with some degree of confidence that dang that guy looks awesome out there. I didn't think he had the foot speed he's shown, he's good on draws, and he possesses a natural mentality to power to the net, not just without fear, but with some skill.

If I had to compare him today (based on what we've seen thus far) to another established NHL player, I'd say he's got shades of Phil Esposito in him. Due to overall scoring being down versus Phil's era (Phil was 23/32/55 in his first full season), I'd still hope for Bo to finish up around 17/14/31 this season and maybe hope for 20/25/45 next. Phil was a #1 / #2 centre his entire career, so that would be a pretty darn awesome ceiling to hit.

Did I mention Phil was 6'1" 205? Bo is 6'0" 206 and still maybe has an inch or so to grow? Just saying...they look eerily similar out there.

Odd man rush available?

If yes, skate into the zone and play it normally.

If no, dump, chase, grind along the boards then hustle back on defense.

Fourth line hockey. I think you misinterpreted my post.

Ah, that makes a little more sense. To be fair, your comment was rather ambiguous as I was not the only one to read it that way.

Horvat plays that "4th line style" of hockey because that is the role he has been instructed to play by his coach. The fact that he is scoring at the level he is while playing that style of hockey I feel speaks more to his scoring prowess than against it.

Can you imagine what a force Horvat will be when he changes his style of play to that of a top 6 forward? Can you imagine what it will be like when he is playing with wingers with top 6 talent?

I expect Horvat to develop into a 20-30 goal scorer, 60+ points and end up as an elite 2nd line center or our 1st line center if our other blue chip centers do not pan out.

Playing like a 4th liner?

Horvat is playing more minutes than most of our other centers (including Henrik on nights like the Dallas game), against top-line opposition (again, he played against Seguin against Dallas), and has more points this season than Seguin had in his rookie year (in far fewer games).

How is he playing like a 4th liner?

All things considered... Faceoffs, Ice time (especially in the Dallas game), etc..

Bo Horvat is pretty much our #2 center at 19 years old. So the question is.. Where is his ceiling? Some still say he will be a 3rd line NHL center. Some say he's a number 2.. If he's doing this now, what will he be doing in his prime?

In my opinion he is the future leader and number 1 center on this team. I drool over the the idea of him and Virtanen on a line in their NHL prime..

:bigblush:

Horvat only averages 12 min a game which is less than Henrik,Bonino, Richardson and Matthias. WD puts Horvat out occasionally against the oppositions top line and gives the Horvat line more minutes when they are really going (more so recently). That being said, don't confuse occasionally for the norm it's usually Bonino and Richardson, who is the center out against the oppositions top line. When the team is healthy Horvat is our fourth line center and a good one at that.

Horvat only averages 12 min a game which is less than Henrik,Bonino, Richardson and Matthias. WD puts Horvat out occasionally against the oppositions top line and gives the Horvat line when they are really going more minutes (more so recently). That being said, don't confuse occasionally for the norm, it's usually Bonino and Richardson, who is the center out against the oppositions top line. When the team is healthy Horvat is our fourth line center and a good one at that.

You have to understand that the "average ice-time" includes both his very limited ice-time from the early part of the season before he had proven himself where he was getting 8-10 minutes.

When we are talking about how he is getting more ice-time than players like Henrik, we are talking more recently where WD is showing he has massive faith in Horvat by giving him 17+ minutes a game.

Similarly, Horvat has been getting the top-line shut-down role on a nightly basis in recent games. Sure, if you want to look at his averages, he wouldn't have that average in his favor as this trend has been more recent.

What is his ceiling?

Bo Horvat

No seriously, he's the guy every fan of every other team will be comparing their prospects to in a few seasons.

Man I hope he turns out as good as Bo Horvat

Draft Bios will read has potential to be a Bo Horvat comparable.

His ceiling is the 1st Bo Horvat in the league

You have to understand that the "average ice-time" includes both his very limited ice-time from the early part of the season before he had proven himself where he was getting 8-10 minutes.

When we are talking about how he is getting more ice-time than players like Henrik, we are talking more recently where WD is showing he has massive faith in Horvat by giving him 17+ minutes a game.

Similarly, Horvat has been getting the top-line shut-down role on a nightly basis in recent games. Sure, if you want to look at his averages, he wouldn't have that average in his favor as this trend has been more recent.

Lets look at the last 10 games then

ANA 13mins (4th), LA 14 mins (4th), TOR 12 mins (4th)(Richardson healthy), PHI 10 mins (4th)(Richardson healthy), CBJ 15 mins (2nd) .LA 15 mins(3rd), PHX 13 mins(3rd), Jets 13 mins (3rd), COL 10 mins (4th), DAL (18:52) (1st).

One time he's been the first line center and one time the second line center in the last 10 games. In each of those games he played 10 mins the game before. It is ludicrous to say that Horvat is our second line center right now. With the cool off of Matthias, and injury to Richardson he has been playing 3rd line center for the most part recently. I highly doubt he is getting nightly shutdown-down role on a nightly basis playing 10-15 mins a game.

His average ice time over the last ten games is 13.4 mins compared to his total average ice time of 12 mins around 1.4 minute difference.

Conclusion one game doesn't equal trend

What is his ceiling?

Bo Horvat

No seriously, he's the guy every fan of every other team will be comparing their prospects to in a few seasons.

Man I hope he turns out as good as Bo Horvat

Draft Bios will read has potential to be a Bo Horvat comparable.

His ceiling is the 1st Bo Horvat in the league

Nailed it ! Good summery right ther

Really? A thread from August? I think Bo's done a bit more recently to elevate the discussion more than what it was back in the summer. I still think Bonino's ahead of him but I wouldn't mind them driving each other to be better either.

Glad you could contribute to the thread though. B)

And you complain about me linking recent similar threads...

Really? A thread from August? I think Bo's done a bit more recently to elevate the discussion more than what it was back in the summer. I still think Bonino's ahead of him but I wouldn't mind them driving each other to be better either.

Glad you could contribute to the thread though. B)

And you complain about me linking recent similar threads...

Hahaha, you're totally missing the point here. What I meant was that everyone should chill out a bit with the Horvat praise. He's doing just fine, and has for a while, but CDC is notorious for overloving our prespects. I was only telling everyone to relax, Horvat is good, but he's only a rookie, let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

You on the other hand only contribute to threads by saying "this thread is redundant, you should have posted in this thread instead." No one likes your mini modding.

It's best for the fans to be cautious with their expectations and just let his natural progression play out before we put ceilings or floors on his potential.

I'd only go as far, right now, of saying he is a rookie 4C that is showing he can be a 3C effectively in the NHL. That's as far as we need to go this season. Anything more in the playoffs would be unexpected and a bonus.

Once he plays a season in the 3C role we will see if he can show promise consistently to merit 2C time day in and day out. Once he does that for 30-40 games we can then re-evaluate how he measures up vs other players across the league. If he can perform at an elite level as he climbs up the ladder then you look at the next progression. Until he is one of the better 2Cs in the league there is little point in even talking about 1C.

But wait until he climbs each rung of the ladder first. He's still young and there will be bumps along the road. Right now he looks great though and he continues to exceed most timeline projections. It's fun to watch.

So we should all thank Gillis for drafting him instead of Nichushkin?

Yes. But it's hard to be thankful when you remember how we got that draft pick. I personally believe Luongo should have brought at least a top 10 draft pick if he wasn't handled so poorly. If you look at it that way, we could have had Horvat and Schneider with Lack backing him up. Hindsight 20/20 but I am really happy we're not still stuck with Gillis.

Archived