The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning & Trevor Linden interviews on TSN1040

TheRussianRocket.

N7Nucks

Benning went on to say that the coaches prefer Matthias on the wing to centre. They like his speed and size on the forecheck.

For my money, Matthias is good off the rush in the middle but not much else. His face off stats are only 44.9% and he's not much of a playmaker either (only 9 assists). So to my eye, I agree with the coaches.

I know they prefer him on the wing, but I'm sure if we didn't have Vey they would have used him at centre over a young Utica guy. That's the point I was making. Over blowing Vey's importance.

N7Nucks

I'm not saying I understand it but to listen to the Benning interview, he sounds like playing Matthias at centre is something that they don't even think about.

Matthias played centre for a while and seemed to do ok. He's just better on the wing. That's my personal opinion.

Vey is probably a better play maker and can play centre or wing which makes him a good 13th forward. That is his value and why he'll get a look next year to see if he can make the team permanently. Otherwise, he'll be a useful bridge player until guys like McCann and Cassels are ready.

WTF not even one mention of Bobby Sanguinetti, starting to lose hope in you Mr Benning.

+22 38 points and he doesn't even get mentioned, and what about Jordan Subban? Did he forget we have a skilled D-man who is going to go back into the draft if he is not signed?

Don't need them.

We have Weber.

This season has been a huge success especially when you take into account out prospects cupboard is the best it's been in years. The one thing I'm not sold on though is Vey at centre. He needs to work on faceoffs and his strength if he wants a centre spot next season...

Just hope Benning re-signs Matthias now. After throwing away 2+ million to a 4th line winger who scores under 10 goals, Matthias is going to be asking for a LOT, and according to Dorsett's numbers Shawn deserves around 3M which is rediculous. Hopefully we can get him under a 2 year contract for 2M per.

Just hope Benning re-signs Matthias now. After throwing away 2+ million to a 4th line winger who scores under 10 goals, Matthias is going to be asking for a LOT, and according to Dorsett's numbers Shawn deserves around 3M which is rediculous. Hopefully we can get him under a 2 year contract for 2M per.

Yeah righto!

N7Nucks

Benning went on to say that the coaches prefer Matthias on the wing to centre. They like his speed and size on the forecheck.

For my money, Matthias is good off the rush in the middle but not much else. His face off stats are only 44.9% and he's not much of a playmaker either (only 9 assists). So to my eye, I agree with the coaches.

Add to that Vey is a hell of a worker and that is what team mates really appreciate, guys who will lessen the effect of their mistakes.

I really don't understand why more people don't appreciate that this guy is a rookie but never plays like one. I suppose that is why some people are so critical. If he had been one of our own everyone would be wetting themselves at his potential based on his current performances.

But that's CDC for you.

4th line winger?

Get serious, Dorsett is much more than that. I WISH we had had 4th line wingers like him after 2011. He is a guy who can compete with the best, has shown he has a good hockey IQ and can bury chances when they arise.

The fellow who said well miss the Sedins when there gone lol @ you. they had there heads up against themselves and couldn't Score in the playoffs - i just wish they had no NTCS. - they didn't earn " their 7 million / yr.

Doubt they will do any better ... in the playoffs - Agreed they make good plays @ times - but bit 4 the cost.

Note : Wish the Sedins would run 4 govt of Canada instead. that I'll take any day.

The fellow who said well miss the Sedins when there gone lol @ you. they had there heads up against themselves and couldn't Score in the playoffs - i just wish they had no NTCS. - they didn't earn " their 7 million / yr.

Doubt they will do any better ... in the playoffs - Agreed they make good plays @ times - but bit 4 the cost.

Note : Wish the Sedins would run 4 govt of Canada instead. that I'll take any day.

Go away and don't come back.

I agree that they're not 7 million dollar players, but they're still top 15 if not 10 in points in the league

Nobody cares what you would take. Anyone with any hockey knowledge knows we're better with the Sedins than without them.

Stupid comment is stupid.

~1PPG in the playoffs since becoming first liners.

I agree that they're not 7 million dollar players, but they're still top 15 if not 10 in points in the league

11th and 19th actually. Daniel is currently ahead of Steven freaking Stamkos. Have you looked at what other players around them are making for salary/cap hits? The vast majority (not on ELC's) are making more.

Archived