The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does linden vey have a future on the Canucks?

billabong

Vey's all-around game did improve from the start of the season to the end.

The 4th line in game 6 was Higgins - Horvat - McMillan.

Vey can play right wing. If WD was Vey's "bff", that would have been an easy opportunity to slot Vey in.

None of your jokes about WD and Vey or Medicine Hat ever were funny, so just stop.

Disagree, he was absolutely useless at RW. Didn't have the speed or strength, absolutely useless forechecker as well.

If he's going to be here it's at C, the team is desperate for a right handed C. There are lots of spots opening up in the next few years, but in the spot he's in he has to make it count this summer.

Vey is actually not particularly fast. He hustles but is not speedy.

And unfortunately he will have a prime spot next season with his bff coaching.

Reality is he does not fit anywhere on this team other than 13th forward. We would never get a second rounder for him now I don't think.

He brings some good attributes but also adds to the wimpy image of this team. I think my 9 year old novice kid might actually look older than him lol.

I share the opinion expressed by Wally, and I would like to add some data.

1. Age. Vey is 23 and is about to turn 24. Judging performance relative to age is important. At age 23 most forwards have not yet hit their peak performance but are not too far from it. Players pretty much always improve significantly between 18 when they are drafted and 22 or 23. After that the improvement rate is slow for forwards, although there is some individual variation. Bottom line: Vey might still improve a bit but we cannot reasonably expect a lot.

2. Performance. According to War-on-Ice Vey had BY FAR the worst performance in 5-on-5 scoring per 60 minutes played among Canuck forwards this year. His number was 1.07. The next worst were Matthias at 1.42 and Dorsett at 1.43 -- substantially more than Vey. He was also last in hits per 60 minutes by a big margin and he was last in face-off percentage among the centers.

3. Continuing with the stats, Vey faced considerably weaker than average competition and had considerably more favorable than average zone starts. His quality of teammates was about average (much better than Horvat, for example). He also had above average luck as measured by PDO.

4. Looking at basic skills, Vey participated in the skills competition and did surprisingly poorly in the skating competition. Thought to be a good skater he is only about average, which is not good for a guy his size. By the end of the season he looked slower than Horvat or Kenins (and much slower than Hansen, of course).

5. His plus/minus of -3 was not too bad, but given his quality of competition and zone starts (protected minutes), it was not good. [FIXED -- there was an error in this line before].

Bottom line: You can argue about the value of advanced stats but there is no doubt that Vey had a terrible year statistically. And it is not like he contributes to the physical game or the speed game.

I was optimistic when he was signed, but the Vey experiment did not go well this year. At this stage, I think it is very unlikely he could be traded for a second round pick. He might make the team next year given that Willie likes him and he seems like a nice young guy. But his statistical quality of play does not justify being able to play in the NHL.

He is not fast, and as I said in the Jensen thread he was handed the chance Jensen earned last year on a silver platter and did absolutely nothing with it.

He isn't a good center and I'd take Jensen's speed and forecheck on the wing every day of the week. Considering people are writing off Jensen already I'm not sure what that says about Vey. I really don't see why we traded for him, or how he's going to fit in going forward.

Jensen nor Gaunce will never make the Canucks. Thats my opinion

The lines 1-3 are filled.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Hansen

The fourth line has only Dorsett penciled in at the moment. He will come in and compete for one of the fourth line roles along with Kenins, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkaruk, and whoever else that emerges.

Double shifting Kassian? If only we could've against the Flames!

i'd argue that had he not been giften pp time with the sedins he would have had 18 points on the year, which is less than brad richardson brought in 30 fewer GP. He brings no face-off ability, no physicality, and average skating.

18 points if all you bring is 'skill', as a 23 year old, is bad. can't say he was given a checking role either. horvat and bonino's lines got those duties.

The lines 1-3 are filled.

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Baertschi-Horvat-Kassian

Burrows-Bonino-Hansen

The fourth line has only Dorsett penciled in at the moment. He will come in and compete for one of the fourth line roles along with Kenins, Virtanen, Jensen, Gaunce, Cassels, Shinkaruk, and whoever else that emerges.

I'm excited to see what Cassels can bring. I have a feeling he will be Vey's biggest threat next season. The real question is. If in training camp cassels slightly out plays Vey does Vey stick only because Cassels is AHL eligible and Vey isn't?

Agree totally with JamesB. I would much rather give that RW spot to Jensen, who has size, speed, and shoots well. I think, here, we have an example of Benning not wanting to ditch his pick, despite all the negative stats, as well as visual evidence of his very mediocre play. He is not worth the gamble of, hoping, at 24, he can turn his career around. If they keep him, it would just be a waste of a roster spot that could have gone to a younger, more deserving prospect.

I think Benning was fooled by his AHL numbers. Which were probably inflated due to playing with Tofolli and Pearson. Again, though, we don't know if Vey actually was the choice of Benning or whether he listened to his scouts. Remember, Benning was hired towards the end of May. So he only had a month before the draft (which was also filled with all the other details of coming into a GM's shoes in a new organization. It may be that Benning is not so committed to Vey, as a result.

By the way, I think it sounds like they are planning on keeping Kassian. This is going to be enough of a project for the coaches without loading Vey onto poor Willies shoulders too!

For costing only a 2nd round pick in a weak draft. The poor bastard gets crapped on more then any rookie in any sport, in any period of time, including the ancient past and far away future.

He has no personality, and that is why I believe people hate him.

There is no reason he can't earn a spot. I think what rubbed people the wrong way this season is the fact he is/was a rookie without eligibility to be sent to the AHL, and he didn't really stand out or make an impact. I hope he has a strong summer and comes to camp faster and stronger, there is a lot of competition. If he does end up a flop, and we lose him on waivers or trade him for scraps it will have been a real waste of 2nd round pick...not to mention we have no 3rd.

Archived