The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] CBJ shopping Kerby Rychel in search for defense

Here's the thing, our problem isn't offense, it's defense. The upcoming draft will probably add to that offense, and maybe try to fix our back end. For the right price, sure, why not, pick Rychel up, but do not give anything unnecessary.

Rychel would be a great addition on the LW, but the suggestion of trading hamhuis is laughable. He is a top 2 dean on almost every team and would be severe overpayment. Our contract with him is currently a steal.

^^^^^^

What he said.

SO many tool boxes throwing around the names of Hamhuis, Edler, and even Tanev..... Ummmm... hellllooooo? Our team and system lacks top 4 defensmen, and outside this coming draft, there aint much to be excited about. Dmen are also the hardest kind of players to come by via trade, and while some can be found via UFA, you generally have to take a significant cap hit for extended term to attract a game changer. Theres little to no way of any of these players (Hammer, Edler, Tanman) going anywhere unless for a kings ransom which would need to involve a stud d prospect coming back. Im also quite confident that if Hammer wants to stay, that theyll get a deal done to stay in Van.

Bieksa, Weber, Stanton, Corrado, and Clendenning are all up for grabs for the right price. Other than those names, dont expect a Dman to be moved.

As for Rychel, he'd be a solid pick up and add a true goal scorer to our group of prospects. We dont have the asset required as itll take a bluechip young defender whos mature enough to handle top 4 minutes.... I think NJ is the best bet.

Id offer up Weber + Kassian.

Rhychel looks like he's stalled. I would be very wary of giving too much for him. He's their Jensen.

Is he? Jensen had 21 points in his first pro season in the AHL, Rychel had 31. Plus, he has a more complete, physical and defensive game than Jensen.

I don't think he'll be a great point producer in the NHL, but he has a better chance than Jensen.

He's 25 years old. Defenseman usually take longer to develop. Sbisa will get better (and has) since the start of the season. He will get better.

hes the worst out there... he pretty much cost the canucks the calgary series..

Miller coughing up 7 goals after being given a 3 goal lead had nothing to do with it at all

Miller was a hail mary move anyways because of the position the team and lack had played us into, putting in a goalie and saying win us the next 9 periods is pretty unrealistic.

Im sure he would of bounced back (ala king henrik) if he had a fair chance.

I see him going to NJ in a deal for one of their young Dmen.

Rychel

for

Gelinas/Meril +

or

Rychel + picks (they have 2- 2nds and 2 - 3rds in this years draft)

for

Larsson/Severson

Yeah, this seems likely to me too.

It would be nice to add Rychel for sure, but the team is only going to have so many young guys come up in a single season. Last year it was Horvat, Kenins, and Vey. Next season 3 or 4 of Corrado, Clendening, Virtanen, Cassels, Guance, McCann, and Jensen will probably be added.

Now, if management wants to upgrade one of the spots by trading, say, Corrado and Jensen for Rychel, that's alright. But if we're going to use two of our chips to upgrade somewhere, I would prefer for it to be on D. So rather than competing with NJ for Rychel, I would rather JB be competing with Columbus for Merrill/Gelinas/Larsson.

Miller was a hail mary move anyways because of the position the team and lack had played us into, putting in a goalie and saying win us the next 9 periods is pretty unrealistic.

Im sure he would of bounced back (ala king henrik) if he had a fair chance.

Maybe maybe not.

Just pointing out that there was an obvious issue larger than simply Sbisa that caused us to lose the series.

Sad that Clendening and Corrado are our best d-man prospects. They are quite over-rated based on the fact that we have nothing better.

I would say Pedan is probably right there with them though. If he didn't get the concussion then he would be a big part of this playoff run

Sad that Clendening and Corrado are our best d-man prospects. They are quite over-rated based on the fact that we have nothing better.

Clendening is underrated IMO

46 points in 73 games in his first AHL season followed by 59 points in 74 games.

Clendening is underrated IMO

46 points in 73 games in his first AHL season followed by 59 points in 74 games.

That is impressive, logic. Thx for that, I didn't know. Obviously a pmd eh? More points than most of the other prospects.

Archived