The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[OFFICIAL] Mike Babcock chooses the Toronto Maple Leafs

The long term hope has to be that Linden and Benning to have a eye for

talent and will not be rail roaded into trading them away for short teerm gain. That is the Canuck

record.

I'd just like to see us acquire as many picks as we can to help speed up that process. Holding onto players until they have no more value has been proven to fail for this organization time and time again.

Time to dump some inflated contracts no matter what the cost. Take a page out of New York's book.

I bet the Leafs win a Cup in the next five years while the Canucks come close but never do because of its depressed media and argumentative fans...

I'm a Canuck. But damn are the Leafs making it hard to hate them right now.

And ANY true fan of the game will agree.

I'm a fan of the game.

I hate the leafs.

I hate Calgary.

I hate Edmonton.

It's easy to do.

I hate the leafs. I hate Toronto. I hate the eastern bias. I hate the attitude of torononians.

Wouldn't piss on it to put a fire out.

Wow. Gotta give the Bud's some credit here for going out and grabbing the best coach available. It's going to take the full 8 years to turn that franchise around. And good for him for getting over $6MM per season from them.

He must be sick of having a consistently above average team that never really contwnds for the Cup anymore, and has seen how you win in this era - tank for a couple of years, stockpile prospects and go hard for a Cup for a much shorter window.

Babcock is going to make that team much stronger defensively, and will turn Nylander and Strome/Hanifin into NHL stars by working them into the big league the right way.

money would have been better spent on buy outs and free agents..great coaching will not alter much in the short term..go leafs go?

Money is not a problem for MLSE. They have tons of it.

They would have paid Babcock double this if that's what it took.

Expect a league max contract offer with bonuses to Stamkos if he ever hits free agency.

Wow. Toronto just flaunting that Olympic sized money pool they swim in!

Good luck, Babcock. You're going to need it! For that kind of money they're going to be expecting a Cup run next season. Seriously, good luck with that.

Wow. Toronto just flaunting that Olympic sized money pool they swim in!

Good luck, Babcock. You're going to need it! For that kind of money they're going to be expecting a Cup run next season. Seriously, good luck with that.

But that's exactly the plan. Team keeps sucking. He gets fired. He retires rich.

Ahh I see..conversely do the Aquilini's have as deep a pocket as the Leafs?or are we slightly behind their spending power?

Well the Aquilini's are worth an estimated 5 billion dollars, while MLSE is worth around 2.5 billion.

So yea, they could afford to pay 6 million dollars for a coach if they wanted to. I'd rather see them spend money on scouting and development first though.

Archived