The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do you think we make the playoffs next year?

hockeyguy1234

It all comes down to what decisions Benning and Co makes at draft day+start of free agency. If they decide to make many moves to get some youth and picks we'll probably miss playoffs. If we stay on the same path (getting marginally younger) we will probably make it.

But as mentioned above, many teams has huge potential to make much more impact mext season than this. For example LA, Dallas, Oilers and Colorado. But I don't see Calgary regressing as much as you expect. Imagine 19 years old Sam Bennet when he's 20.

All of those teams have the components to make it. Us and our aging core vs. cores that are entering their prime. Only SJ is in the same boat as us, but they have some great up and coming guys with potential.

I don't see us in the playoffs barring some major roster overhauls. I don't see this team playing poorly , just other teams got that much better as they gained playoff experience, youth movement, comeback from a terrible season ( AVs + Dallas + SJ )

Yeah, a bit too early for this. A lot could change over the next three months. Not to mention, how training camp will go for the Canucks and if we do see any surprises.

So, for now, it's really hard to say.

Maybe Calgary will regress like Colorado did.

I think you need to see what each team does in the offseason before you can evaluate who is going to make the playoffs next year.

Agree that it is early. We will know a lot more in September. But it is never too early to guess. We are, in effect, guessing about what the various teams will do. If the Canucks go for a major youth movement and trade away some vets while they still have value and pick up some draft picks in return I think we will miss the playoffs for sure but will have a better team two years from now.

But even if we more of less stand pat I do not like our chances. This is especially true if the Canucks make the decision to go with Miller as the undisputed #1, trade Lack, and bring in Marky as a backup. The fact is that Lack had a better year than Miller last year and Miller is at the age where age-related decline is likely. Our chances are better next year if we keep Lack and make him the #1 next year. The best strategy would be to unload Miller's cap hit but I do not see that happening.

My prediction is that we will have pretty much the same team as last year with just a few changes, will contend for a playoff spot, and miss.

Calgary is due for regression to the mean as they had more than their share of luck last year. For example, they were the second ranked team in the NHL generating wins when being outshot.

But teams like Dallas and Colorado should rebound. And Edmonton worries me. All Chiarelli needs to do (aside from drafting McDavid) is bring in a couple of solid D-men and Edmonton will be a legitimate playoff contender.

Maybe Calgary will regress like Colorado did.

That's what I was thinking. All of Calgary's players overachieved compared to their career best. For example, Hudler had 20 more points than his previous best at the age 31. I know that much of this is thanks to Gaudreau's creativity but if Gaudreau suffers from sophomore jinks, which is a possibility now that the teams know that he is a threat and that they will defend him harder, then Hudler and similarly, Monahan might not be able to achieve such high point totals.

Unless some of the new comers make a big impact like Bennett and existing young players like Granlund improves dramatically, there is a good chance that Calgary regresses unless their top players and other vets continue to play at such high level.

As for the OP:

I think Pacific is still dominated by the California teams. We beat them and Calgary beat them too but it was hardly the case that they were dominated by us or Calgary. Both Calgary and us have to have breakout performance from some of the young players and consistently high level of plays from the top players to have a chance at making the playoffs.

And as for the wild cards, the central division is the best division in the NHL (all 7 teams had 90+ point seasons!!!) and as it has been the trend the last two seasons, they will most likely have 5 playoff teams. So if we are to make the playoffs, we will have to beat two of SJ, LA, and CGY. With Edmonton surely to get better (which means the points against Edmonton won't be free like it used to be), it will be a tough task and this is the first time in more than a decade that I honestly don't believe so high in our team's chances to make the playoffs.

Note: I thought we had a pretty good chance to make the playoffs this season despite disastrous 2013-14 season because I thought Calgary, Edmonton, and Arizona were weak and that we just had to beat one of SJ and LA and even if we didn't, I thought we could still get the wild card thanks to playing in a weaker division as it wasn't clear at the beginning of the season how good Nashville and Winnipeg were going to be.

I hope I'm wrong and that we make the playoffs and I will cheer them to make it but it's going to be hard to do.

If we do not improve in the off season, no. This is gonna come down to what JB does. Calgary is improved vastly, the Kings are certain to rebound, and Anaheim is gonna be tough to knock off. Edmonton is going to improve too. The Sharks I don't see as a threat anymore, but they're still gonna be tough. This off season might make or break Benning's GM career. I like last years off season, so I believe in him now. It's his time to put a stamp on the team.

I think JB pulled out all the stops for a successful season his first year, for both the fans and the vets, but clearly we see the end of the core as we've known it. We got the No 1 goalie we wanted we added forwards to help, but now we need to add the young guys to bring in fresh energy like Grenier and Virt. Calgary was the quicker team and our guys looked tired and almost disinterested at times in our playoff games. Fresh blood will do wonders for us going forward.

We need to improve our defense, as it's one of the weakest in the league. We have one top-pairing (#2) d-man (Hamhuis), two 2nd pairing d-men (Edler and Tanev), and a bunch of 3rd pairing and spare d-men.

Bieksa and Sbisa are overpaid for their value and must rebound to be top 4 d-men.

Archived