The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kesler a modern day Neely?

Slegr

He wants to win now...he knows exactly what Benning is planning on doing (retool) and he doesn't want to wait and see. To be very honest...after the Sedins retires, we won't have any prospects with that calibre to take over them...Benning will definitely need to use his picks wisely for the upcoming years.

I think that just goes to show how damn lucky we are to have them.

Let's move on from Neely. According to former coach Tom Watt, Neely wasn't willing to "play the right way". Lol.

Which is why if I was Canuck management, and I heard a coach say that, he'd be gone. I thought Neely was going to be a 40-50 point guy. A role player, and forward that would provide the physical element and pot a few goals now and then. When we traded Neely, I lost hope in the Canucks. Not that I ever figured he'd be a Hall of Fame Player. I just wanted to see a local kid do well on the Canucks. I basically stopped caring about the Canucks for a year and a half. Then I bought into what Pat Quinn was trying to bring back to the Canucks. Pride and the willingness to win. Quinn and Linden made me believe again.

This could have absolutely played out better had Kesler not thrown us completely under the bus. He gave a list of two (really one) teams. That's not the element we need here, and, quite frankly, I'm glad we're rid of him. He was a terrible element, and a locker room distraction. The Ducks may be a better team with him in the lineup, but we're in far better shape without him.

I agree completely

I dont mind Sbisa, but imagine if they were able to keep Garrison instead, keep Schroeder (basically makes up for Vey), and were able to add on to get the 10th pick from Anaheim.

No guarantee that it would have happened but basically it would be.

Bonino, Ritchie, McCann, 3rd (Dorsett) for Kesler and a prospect (Jensen maybe) for them to add the 10th.

Hindsight

hahahhahaha, good one.

Kesler is having a decent playoffs, but for 90% of the game he is invisible. I could not be happier that he's gone. Getting him out of the dressing room automatically gives Van the win on that trade

Please don't be so salty :( During the playoffs he seemed like the only player that cared about winning.

honestly I'm rooting for chicago I'm more of a Toews fan then Kesler, but in all honesty I'd rather see New York win the cup just for Alain!

I can atleast say we had Kesler in his prime but right now he is close to being on the decline and we'll probably see that in a few short years. On a stacked team like the Ducks you can see easily why they are 1 game away from the stanley cup finals. Kesler is definately improving them substantially but we got a lot of future assets that may materialize into a replacement for Kesler in the long run. I can see Horvat being our second line center possible this upcoming season we need to shed some of the aging players but we have a big prospect pool again thanks to JB. It will be interesting to see what moves he makes this off season and I am looking forward to next season.

Hindsite is hindsite but i wonder if Benning played a bit more hardball with Kesler and waited untill the deadline to trade him. Teams like Pittsburg or Washington or Tampa might have upped the ante for him. Penguins gave up a 1st for Perron, Kesler might have garnered a 1st and Poulliot. We could have had an extra 1st in this years draft and an NHL ready young pmd in the system, something we have desperately needed for years.

Hindsite is hindsite but i wonder if Benning played a bit more hardball with Kesler and waited untill the deadline to trade him. Teams like Pittsburg or Washington or Tampa might have upped the ante for him. Penguins gave up a 1st for Perron, Kesler might have garnered a 1st and Poulliot. We could have had an extra 1st in this years draft and an NHL ready young pmd in the system, something we have desperately needed for years.

did you not get enough drama with the Schneider/Luongo/Lack debacle? The organization needed a drama free year and kesler was the root of a lot of it, imo.

did you not get enough drama with the Schneider/Luongo/Lack debacle? The organization needed a drama free year and kesler was the root of a lot of it, imo.

This org always has drama one way or ther other but it's nothing compared to Toronto or Montreal.

Wouldn't happen, a centre was always going to be involved

Love him or hate him, it doesn't matter. Fact is he wasn't going to re-sign here so management did the best thing by moving him when he still had value. We weren't going to contend for the duration of his contract, and he was becoming an issue in the room, so moving him was absolutely the right thing to do.

Archived