The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Is there any foundation to the rumour that he might see an NHL game or two before the season is over? 

Yes. That is apparently Brock's preference. Whether he is able to negotiate that from GM JB is another question, but, regardless of which league he will start in, the rumour is that he wants to go pro as soon as his season is done. 

14 hours ago, Rush17 said:

so there in the final 4. so this series then a game or series to determine 3rd?

They're in the final four of their conference (NCHC). If they win that, then they'll automatically move on to the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Championships. The NCAA Championships consist of 16 teams (the 6 conference winners and 10 other teams chosen by an NCAA selection committee) which will be announced on March 19. So even if UND doesn't win their conference next weekend, they can still be selected to the NCAA Championships.

The 16 teams will be divided into 4 separate brackets (referred to as Regionals) consisting of 4 teams each. Regionals are held at 4 seperate locations and are all on the same weekend (March 24-26). Regionals have semi-finals and finals and that's it. The winners of the 4 Regionals move on to the Frozen Four. From the beginning of the NCAA Championships it's all single elimination meaning 4 total wins (semi & final of your Regional then semi & final of the Frozen Four) gets you crowned National Champions. The Frozen Four is held April 6-8 in Chicago this year.

Edited by Iggynucks
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, stawns said:

You clearly don't know much about Virtanen

But Tomlinson sure does, and he knows a lot more than the rest of us and he stated in an interview that Virtanen is almost ALWAYS last one in, first one out of the ice every single time, thats why hes not on the team right now. The rest of the team is already dressed and stretching 10 minutes before they even hit the ice and Virtanen is just getting into the rink, what does that tell you, fanboy? Thats as per Tomlinson whos there on gamedays, dont deny your boy Fatty18 isnt acting like a pro

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Kassian was actually very well regarded in terms of his work ethic, at least when it comes to training, until other factors (such as his substance abuse issues) derailed things.

Go back four or five years and you'll read lots of reports (like this one) where he's praised for being one of the hardest working players in the gym and during summer programs.

Even dating back to junior, his coaches would single him out as one of the most hardworking guys on their team, and cite the challenges of his upbringing (father's death at an early age, single mom, financial pressures, having to work to overcome obstacles) as key factors in his developing a work ethic and maturity that was ahead of his peers.

Consistency and focus are separate issues. Kassian seems to be a guy who struggled to maintain a sense of direction. But when he was put on target and received the proper guidance, he definitely had the drive necessary to put in the work.

I don't want to speculate too much about how much of a factor his father's death was, but there does seem to be a sense that Zack has performed well when he's had "father figures" guiding him and run into some problems when he's been left too much to his own devices.

Also, there's no amount of work ethic that can (on its own) defeat the disease of addiction. Similarly, a strong work ethic doesn't provide immunity to the mental health challenges that can result from tragedies like losing a parent at an early age. A capacity for hard work will help a lot in overcoming these kinds of issues, but only when a person is ready to face them and has the necessary support systems in place to heal themselves and sustain their recovery.

I don't mean to belabour the point. Just wanted to note that "work ethic" hasn't really been Zack's problem. It's quite arguably one of Kassian's strengths. But other, more complex issues have at times compromised his ability to succeed, despite him having a strong underlying work ethic.

I beg to differ, yes substance abuse has something to do with it, and thats good hes making himself a better person other than being a much better player. Ive seen some of Kassians game this year, and honestly, the numbers aren't there but hes a FAR FAR better player now than he was ever as a Canuck. That being said, I have a few friends that DID  that bumped into him in the Roxy and other bars around DT and said that he does overdo it a bit when it comes to alchohol. Remember, Kassian was handed the first line duties with the Sedins on a silver platter and he was put on the paces by Torts since he was out of shape, but can we attribute it from his alcholism or not working hard enough? Ive seen enough games to see that Kassian did lack on work ethic, but thats my opinion, agree to disagree, but he should've been a lot better player than he shouldve been.

2 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Yes. That is apparently Brock's preference. Whether he is able to negotiate that from GM JB is another question, but, regardless of which league he will start in, the rumour is that he wants to go pro as soon as his season is done. 

Hello Boeser, get the F out of here Megna

34 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

But Tomlinson sure does, and he knows a lot more than the rest of us and he stated in an interview that Virtanen is almost ALWAYS last one in, first one out of the ice every single time, thats why hes not on the team right now. The rest of the team is already dressed and stretching 10 minutes before they even hit the ice and Virtanen is just getting into the rink, what does that tell you, fanboy? Thats as per Tomlinson whos there on gamedays, dont deny your boy Fatty18 isnt acting like a pro

I'm glad you're bias free.

He's in Utica because hes 20, and like most 20 year olds, he needs to work on consistency and learning to be a pro.  I watch Most of the Comets games, he's working hard and is one of the players fuelling their run right now.

On 6/26/2015 at 7:37 PM, Watermelons said:

NOT CARLO

Welcome to the Canucks! Very touching story for Brock and all the adversity he's gone through. He's gonna be a big goal scorer for us in the future

On 6/26/2015 at 7:38 PM, JE14 said:

WOOOOOOOO NOT CARLO WOOOOOOOOO

On 6/26/2015 at 7:38 PM, Tom Sestito said:

He didn't pick Carlo or Bittner.

I am extremely happy because he didn't pick any of those.

On 6/26/2015 at 7:38 PM, Blueberries said:

WTF. We needed a DMAN a stud inn Kylington and we draft what a RW wtf.

On 6/26/2015 at 7:39 PM, BoKnows said:

Wanted Konency

How do you guys feel about Carlo, Kylington, and Konecny now?

1 hour ago, thejazz97 said:

We got Boeser so Idrc. 

Carlo's a surprise though.

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Derp... said:

CAN YOU SMEEEEEEEELLLLLLLL, WHAT THE BROCK, IS, COOKING!

you had me here

7 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Boeser comes off the wall, he's got a lot of speed, look out! OH NO! It's the PEOPLES SLAPPER! The goalies out cold, the Brock is at it again!

but you lost me here

• Upvote 1

Just now, Derp... said:

ya, trying too hard. I do it a lot.

ya. I do it too rofl. I still +d you though for the attempt. takes a brave person to risk failure. we need more tryiers in the world.  people willing to take a chance. :D

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bigturk8 said:

On a very positive note. I love the sound of this!  Hope Brock makes his debut this season!

Might complicate a future expansion but the fans need something to be excited about for next season! a little brock in my our life! might be the key to our plight!! lol :D

9 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Carlo is a surprise, Kylington hasn't shown anything special in the A yet, and Konecny started hot but has like 12 points in his last 30+ games. I feel very happy to have Brock and if he signs we'll see how he stacks up.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I hear that Konecny kid now has 26 points in 56 games in the NHL (scored two goals today).

That Carlo guy is also playing very well in his first season with the Bruins. 

No point in diminishing other prospects.

11 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

I think I stand by what I said. Werenski is taking all the glory of being the best rookie defenceman this year but Carlo is having a fantastic season with the Bruins, there's no denying that. I definitely regret not trading for him in CDC Puck last year :P I never wish for a prospect to bust, regardless of which team they are on, and I'm happy that he looks well on his way to carving out a very solid NHL career. Having Chara mentor him definitely helps too.

That said, I'm still happy that we picked Boeser. At the draft we had Frankie Corrado and Adam Clendening as two potential up and coming dmen on the Canucks. We also had another youngster in Tanev (24 at the time) who looked like he would have a great career ahead of him. Edler (28 at the time) had 31 points in 74 games and Hamhuis had 23 in 59. It wasn't the same dominant defence as the 2011 cup run season but it was a decent group. We also had Ben Hutton (who had two very good seasons in the NCAA and was nominated for the Hobey Baker for the second straight season in 2015) in the system. Hutton didn't become a fan favourite until a few months after the draft but he was definitely something that I (and several other Canucks fans on this forum) were excited about. Jazz, I'm sure you knew about Hutton long ago as you seem to love getting prospects in CDC Puck but I was surprised that so many Vancouver media people claimed that the kid came out of nowhere. Definitely not true at all. Not to mention that we just drafted two hulking dmen in Nikita Tryamkin and Mackenzie Stewart and everyone's favourite dman in Jordan Subban. They might not have had the ceiling that Carlo had, but I was pretty confident that one or two of our young dmen would be NHL ready in a few years. As far as I was concerned we had enough "quantity" on defence but not enough "quality" and Carlo wasn't exactly a guy who stood way ahead of what we had. Of course, if we had the chance to get Werenski, Hanifin, or Provorov I would have been delighted. 

The Canucks lacked goal-scoring talent in the top six. After the Sedins and Vrbata that year our next highest goal scorer was Bonino at 39 points. Yes, we had Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, and Shinkaruk but each of them had their own obstacles to overcome before becoming NHL threats. Obviously, Horvat has blew away all the haters but the other three are still working their way into the NHL now. Boeser fit the bill pretty well. Nothing wrong with adding another lethal scorer to the system. 

IMO first round picks shouldn't be used on a "safe" pick but rather on the player who scouts deem as having the highest ceiling/most talent (of course, they have to have a realistic chance of reaching it). Big players who play a safe game are usually available in later rounds or in trades/free agency for cheap. Boeser was projected to be a goal scorer at the NHL level (Craig Button said that Boeser had one of the best shots he'd seen in the last couple drafts) and also seemed to be an extremely humble and hardworking kid (see his background story + Pierre McGuire interviews hyping him up). Don't think he's done anything to prove that wrong yet. Goal scoring is a premium in this league and it always will be so drafting a goal scorer in the first round over a dman who wasn't even 0.5 PPG in the WHL seemed like a no brainer to me.

TL;DR - Glad to see Carlo doing so well but am still happy with the Boeser pick

Edited by Watermelons
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Watermelons said:

I think I stand by what I said. Werenski is taking all the glory of being the best rookie defenceman this year but Carlo is having a fantastic season with the Bruins, there's no denying that. I definitely regret not trading for him in CDC Puck last year :P I never wish for a prospect to bust, regardless of which team they are on, and I'm happy that he looks well on his way to carving out a very solid NHL career. Having Chara mentor him definitely helps too.

That said, I'm still happy that we picked Boeser. At the draft we had Frankie Corrado and Adam Clendening as two potential up and coming dmen on the Canucks. We also had another youngster in Tanev (24 at the time) who looked like he would have a great career ahead of him. Edler (28 at the time) had 31 points in 74 games and Hamhuis had 23 in 59. It wasn't the same dominant defence as the 2011 cup run season but it was a decent group. We also had Ben Hutton (who had two very good seasons in the NCAA and was nominated for the Hobey Baker for the second straight season in 2015) in the system. Hutton didn't become a fan favourite until a few months after the draft but he was definitely something that I (and several other Canucks fans on this forum) were excited about. Jazz, I'm sure you knew about Hutton long ago as you seem to love getting prospects in CDC Puck but I was surprised that so many Vancouver media people claimed that the kid came out of nowhere. Definitely not true at all. Not to mention that we just drafted two hulking dmen in Nikita Tryamkin and Mackenzie Stewart and everyone's favourite dman in Jordan Subban. They might not have had the ceiling that Carlo had, but I was pretty confident that one or two of our young dmen would be NHL ready in a few years. As far as I was concerned we had enough "quantity" on defence but not enough "quality" and Carlo wasn't exactly a guy who stood way ahead of what we had. Of course, if we had the chance to get Werenski, Hanifin, or Provorov I would have been delighted. 

The Canucks lacked goal-scoring talent in the top six. After the Sedins and Vrbata that year our next highest goal scorer was Bonino at 39 points. Yes, we had Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, and Shinkaruk but each of them had their own obstacles to overcome before becoming NHL threats. Obviously, Horvat has blew away all the haters but the other three are still working their way into the NHL now. Boeser fit the bill pretty well. Nothing wrong with adding another lethal scorer to the system. 

IMO first round picks shouldn't be used on a "safe" pick but rather on the player who scouts deem as having the highest ceiling/most talent (of course, they have to have a realistic chance of reaching it). Big players who play a safe game are usually available in later rounds or in trades/free agency for cheap. Boeser was projected to be a goal scorer at the NHL level (Craig Button said that Boeser had one of the best shots he'd seen in the last couple drafts) and also seemed to be an extremely humble and hardworking kid (see his background story + Pierre McGuire interviews hyping him up). Don't think he's done anything to prove that wrong yet. Goal scoring is a premium in this league and it always will be so drafting a goal scorer in the first round over a dman who wasn't even 0.5 PPG in the WHL seemed like a no brainer to me.

TL;DR - Glad to see Carlo doing so well but am still happy with the Boeser pick

EkvDRTI.gif

Edited by Gooseberries

How is our contract situation looking over the next little bit? We have the space to sign Boeser, that's not the problem. But we have a  pretty sizable influx of young players bound for Utica and we would need contracts for them all. Right now, we need contracts for Boeser, Dahlen, Jasek, McKenzie, Neill, Olsen, etc. That's not including the fact that more than half of our forwards are on expiring contracts. Can someone shine a little light on this please?