The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Last year he had 32 college games plus 9 NHL games.  Most of the other candidates played similar or slightly more games in college of the junior boys league.  I don't think there's any edge there.  Barzel had 57 games, Chabot 52 games, McAvoy 44games, Keller 33 games.

It's quite likely that some of the other candidates will be at the all-star game as well.

I didn't mention anything about the Calder trophy "race". It seems that alot of people are just writing the Canuck season off and focusing on BB winning an individual award. I think the coaches, management and fanbase wouldn't mind if he loses the Calder but has a strong finish to the season and doesn't hit a wall.

For all the people thinking that teams having the book on Boeser is actually gonna change anything, honestly i just can't agree. There are just some players in this league, very few of them, that just need one shot and they capitalize. Ovechkin and Stamkos have an office on the PP, that weve all known since '06, yet they still score from the very same spot. Boeser has that kind of shot, and no matter how much focus will be on shutting him down, all he will need will be one chance. I see him as a consistent 30 goal scorer at worst. I thought 20 goals this year would be ideal, but 30 games in and he's already pretty much there. It only helps that he has great hands, good vision, and is decent on the defensive side of the puck. And he is tough as nails. 

I wanted to temper my expectations, but he made it impossible. Barring any injuries, he is the rookie of the year, making a probably terrible season bearable for us die hard fans. 

I just cant see a sophomore slump, i see the same thing Laine is doing this year in brocks future 

52 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I didn't mention anything about the Calder trophy "race". It seems that alot of people are just writing the Canuck season off and focusing on BB winning an individual award. I think the coaches, management and fanbase wouldn't mind if he loses the Calder but has a strong finish to the season and doesn't hit a wall.

I think he'll do well regardless.  Sutter and Tanev should be back after the New Year, while Bo and Baer will return in late January(?) so he will get more support and won't have to carry the team on his shoulders.  The only concern I have regarding BB is the so-called 'bruised bone' injury.  I hope he isn't having a lot of (or worse, long term) pain to deal with, as that really saps one's energy.

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

Anytime Brock gets a clear shot at the net I am like he's going to score. There are not many players who you just know are going to score when they shoot. He really might be leading the league in goals for the next decade. That shot is incredible.

And he reads the game well.  It's almost like he sees what's going to happen, before it happens.  

What I loved about Boeser's goal against MTL, was how everything slowed down, time seemed to stop for a split second. He had a lot of time, all by himself, just him in front of Price, one of the world's best goalies. There was no trickery, there was no fluky deflection or tap in, he didn't need to one-time it or deke to fool Price. It was one shot, he even gave Price time to get ready, and he made one of the best look like a chump. And Boeser is doing this to all of the goalies he faces it seems.  

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

What I loved about Boeser's goal against MTL, was how everything slowed down, time seemed to stop for a split second. He had a lot of time, all by himself, just him in front of Price, one of the world's best goalies. There was no trickery, there was no fluky deflection or tap in, he didn't need to one-time it or deke to fool Price. It was one shot, he even gave Price time to get ready, and he made one of the best look like a chump. And Boeser is doing this to all of the goalies he faces it seems.  

I think it was mentioned that while BB was facing Price all alone, he slightly changed the angle of his shot and his stance while in mid-swing.  That is incredible if true.

Edited by gobi

Had another thought, any chance Boeser gets to play in the All Star game? Maybe next year? I would think he'd be a lock for the sharp shooting skills competition. He's an exciting player, and I'm sure will become more and more popular around the league. 

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Had another thought, any chance Boeser gets to play in the All Star game? Maybe next year? I would think he'd be a lock for the sharp shooting skills competition. He's an exciting player, and I'm sure will become more and more popular around the league. 

I'd be flabbergasted if he isn't Vancouver's pick for this year.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

I saw that article earlier,amazing we have a guy like that on our team

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

brock-of-the-jungle.jpg.53feb67f1d2ad9be4b1f2442fdf34420.jpg

6 hours ago, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

Hes got a shot and play style like Alexander Ovechkin (NA version lol ) , which is great for us :) 

I agree on the general style of play, (even the choppy stride) , but Brock is a more advanced and dedicated 200' player than Ovechkin.

Ovenchicken is a big body though at 230lbs. That's the one big upvote you can't dismiss in the comparison. 

Virtanen.... Gaunce.... start throwing your weight around 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Anytime Brock gets a clear shot at the net I am like he's going to score. There are not many players who you just know are going to score when they shoot. He really might be leading the league in goals for the next decade. That shot is incredible.

I keep waiting for his pace to slow down because history tells us that is what usually happens.  But while I still think it may, his shot is something really special. It might not just be luck with this guy.... he really might be that laser accurate. 

When you can stare down Price with all that time for him to set up and then score, thats rare.  His ability to get open for his shot is also elite.  We are so lucky to have had Benning steal him for us in that position and will have a ton of fun watching him for a long time.  We really needed talent of this level again with the Sedins basically done their careers.

• Cheers 1