The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

On 7/16/2021 at 10:00 PM, -AJ- said:

He was on pace for 72 points this year. I'd be really happy if he can push to the range you've given too.

If he produces at that level, how does the team fit him under the cap? His QO is 7.5M isn’t it? 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

If he produces at that level, how does the team fit him under the cap? His QO is 7.5M isn’t it? 

Some contracts come off the books next year, but another option is simply not to tender a QO and hope to sign him as a UFA. Risky, but could be cheaper.

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

The cap is going up next year by $1 million.  Luongo's cap hit will be gone and we will gain another $1 million even with Holtby and Virtanen's buyouts.  Halak could be replaced by DiPietro at half the cap hit.  And Sutter could be replaced by a cheap 4th line centre.  So we can find $3.5 million if we need to.  Worst case scenario is we will use Ferland's LTIR for one more year.  It's not ideal but it's most likely Benning's backup plan if the extra cap space is needed.

Brock is the only big contract that is up next year, so it shouldn't be an issue...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Could we sign him during the final year of his current contract for whatever value and skip the formalities with respect to hitting RFA and all that QO jazz?

I'm not actually sure on that. An early extension to avoid the QO is an interesting idea if it's allowed.

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The cap is going up next year by $1 million.  Luongo's cap hit will be gone and we will gain another $1 million even with Holtby and Virtanen's buyouts.  Halak could be replaced by DiPietro at half the cap hit.  And Sutter could be replaced by a cheap 4th line centre.  So we can find $3.5 million if we need to.  Worst case scenario is we will use Ferland's LTIR for one more year.  It's not ideal but it's most likely Benning's backup plan if the extra cap space is needed.

Brock is the only big contract that is up next year, so it shouldn't be an issue...

We don't know if there will be fans in the stands yet. How could the CAP go up? 

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's only a roughly $2m raise... That shouldn't be hard to fit.

13 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Could we sign him during the final year of his current contract for whatever value and skip the formalities with respect to hitting RFA and all that QO jazz?

Of course we can. Like all players, they're free to sign an extension in the last year of their deal.

13 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not actually sure on that. An early extension to avoid the QO is an interesting idea if it's allowed.

Why are we so scared of his QO?

If he continues on his current trajectory, he's going to get a $7m+ deal regardless. Particularly if it's buying any number of his UFA years. 

I honestly don't get what people are so scared of regarding his QO and/or what the hell it is they don't understand about how QO's work. 

He's a +/- 30 goal scorer who has steadily rounded out his game and was arguably our best player last year. He's going to get paid. And it will likely be right around what his qualifying offer is regardless. At most, Benning might be able to save a few hundred K off, on a deal with term vs his QO amount. Which he can still do.

Oh no! We have a really good player. He'll get really good player money!:frantic:

Seriously, people need to get over this silly QO fear.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It's only a roughly $2m raise... That shouldn't be hard to fit.

Of course we can. Like all players, they're free to sign an extension in the last year of their deal.

Why are we so scared of his QO?

If he continues on his current trajectory, he's going to get a $7m+ deal regardless. Particularly if it's buying any number of his UFA years. 

I honestly don't get what people are so scared of regarding his QO and/or what the hell it is they don't understand about how QO's work. 

He's a +/- 30 goal scorer who has steadily rounded out his game and was arguably our best player last year. He's going to get paid. And it will likely be right around what his qualifying offer is regardless. At most, Benning might be able to save a few hundred K off, on a deal with term vs his QO amount. Which he can still do.

Oh no! We have a really good player. He'll get really good player money!:frantic:

Seriously, people need to get over this silly QO fear.

I do think there's a real chance that he's worth that money if he keeps up last year or even improves more. The question isn't so much if he's worth it but more so just making it all work under the cap. I suppose it's notable that he's already making nearly $6M, so $7.5M would only be just over $1.5M more, so it's not a huge increase.

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I do think there's a real chance that he's worth that money if he keeps up last year or even improves more. The question isn't so much if he's worth it but more so just making it all work under the cap. I suppose it's notable that he's already making nearly $6M, so $7.5M would only be just over $1.5M more, so it's not a huge increase.

It really isn't. So again, why all the constant fear of this QO 'boogeyman'?

-We should be easily able to fit his under-$2m raise.

-He's likely to be worth at or near his QO regardless.

-If he isn't, we can still re-sign him for less than his QO.

Why does this constantly get brought up as a scary 'problem'?

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Plus it's also managing ahead of the need, vs having our hand forced.  Addressing the terms of the new contract before the CBA imposes the QO requirement allows them to negotiate mutually agreeable terms without the pressure of a value imposed by the system.  Because after all, &^@# the system.  :ph34r:

Even if/after we qualify him, we can still sign him for less than his QO, well in to the off season.

We did just that exact thing, a few days ago, with Juolevi.

Can people please go look up how QO's actually work before they keep posting with all this fear mongering! :lol:

• Cheers 1

I see us maybe moving on from Miller next offseason, depending on how well Hogz and Podz do this season. His contract is up in two years, so he'll likely be looking for a big, fat retirement contract after his current deal expires, and he'll be approaching the age where forwards typically start to drop off. That's one possible way we could free up the necessary cap space to ensure Brock gets resigned. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Even if/after we qualify him, we can still sign him for less than his QO, well in to the off season.

Can people please go look up how QO's actually work before they keep posting with all this fear mongering! :lol:

are you actually comparing Brock Boeser and Oly Juolevi?

• RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think it might have been this part^^^

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

How did you possibly get that from that post?

• RoughGame 1

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, clearly a direct comparison of their skill, ability, current earning status and position they play (they're both goalies right? ). Not at all a reference to their RFA contract status, illustrating how QO's function, at all.

Can't out smart you can I? ;)

So, what is your point?

\\That the QO functions the same regardless of player skill and earning potential? That is what you seem to be saying.

Possibly you'd like to try out your new lowball em all theory on Petey and Hughes

After we beat them down with team friendly deals I am sure Brock will fall in line

or does this only hold true for goalies?

maybe you have a list of 20+ goal scorers who have accepted lowball QOs

I'll make it easy for you, just 20+ goal scoring goalies