The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

16 hours ago, bbllpp said:

To me this is really tight and gets tighter with every one of Ferland’s LTIR dollars used to re-sign Petey and Quinn

It takes 1.83 M bonus roll over to have next year’s dead cap equal this year’s (Halak’s bonus is pretty much certain and between Jack, Nils and Vasily there is almost certain to be more)

As I explained above replacing all none Boeser contracts with league minimum only frees up 1.85 M and leaves holes all over the line up

Predicted cap increase is about 1 M

As fan42 said it’s doable if we keep it below 14M for EP and QH but if we give them the 16 suggested by BCNate then it will be a real problem 

Every LTIR dollar we spend on EP/QH potentially pushes a bonus dollar into next year and is one less LTIR dollar next year available to keep/replace Motte and Sutter as well as provide raises to Boeser, Rathbone and OJ

Best case we have 1.83+1+3.5 (from Ferland) = 6.33 for raises next year in order to keep what we have assuming we can resign EP and QH without dipping into Ferland’s LTIR and no bonus overages

We can extend that to 7.18 if we let Motte and Sutter go and replace at 0.75 which is certainly a step backwards.

If Boeser, Rathbone and/or OJ breaks out we will be moving assets to keep assets from a position of cap weakness 

edit: plus 1.5 M coming off from Halak to split between a back-up and the above.  League minimum backup at .75M adds another .75M to the above, again is that a step back?

I didn’t think you could use LTIR space to pay bonuses… hence the carry over this year.  I think we are stuck with those overages no matter what since we will be in LTIR.

18 hours ago, bbllpp said:

To me this is really tight and gets tighter with every one of Ferland’s LTIR dollars used to re-sign Petey and Quinn

It takes 1.83 M bonus roll over to have next year’s dead cap equal this year’s (Halak’s bonus is pretty much certain and between Jack, Nils and Vasily there is almost certain to be more)

As I explained above replacing all none Boeser contracts with league minimum only frees up 1.85 M and leaves holes all over the line up

Predicted cap increase is about 1 M

As fan42 said it’s doable if we keep it below 14M for EP and QH but if we give them the 16 suggested by BCNate then it will be a real problem 

Every LTIR dollar we spend on EP/QH potentially pushes a bonus dollar into next year and is one less LTIR dollar next year available to keep/replace Motte and Sutter as well as provide raises to Boeser, Rathbone and OJ

Best case we have 1.83+1+3.5 (from Ferland) = 6.33 for raises next year in order to keep what we have assuming we can resign EP and QH without dipping into Ferland’s LTIR and no bonus overages

We can extend that to 7.18 if we let Motte and Sutter go and replace at 0.75 which is certainly a step backwards.

If Boeser, Rathbone and/or OJ breaks out we will be moving assets to keep assets from a position of cap weakness 

edit: plus 1.5 M coming off from Halak to split between a back-up and the above.  League minimum backup at .75M adds another .75M to the above, again is that a step back?

Unused LTIR cap space is forfeited and can't be set aside to pay the bonuses.  Teams can only bank cap space on days where they don't touch a cent of their LTIR cap space.  So whether on the day they need 1$ or 3.5M of Ferland's LTIR they can't put the difference aside and that unused LTIR cap space is lost.

Not sure they'll manage to stay sufficiently below the LTIR threshold and/or for long enough to bank the necessary cap space to avoid an overage.  They could drop to 20 players with Abbtosford so close, but might not want to risk waivers with players sitting out and/or not have the extra player in case of a last minute unavailability.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I didn’t think you could use LTIR space to pay bonuses… hence the carry over this year.  I think we are stuck with those overages no matter what since we will be in LTIR.

My expectation is significant roll over and needing a chunk of Ferland’s LTIR to sign Hughes and Petey.  I was just pointing out to those who think it’s all good that even with no roll over and with all of Ferland’s cap available next year it will be tight 

Reality will probably be much tighter.  If they sign them for the order of 16M I’d like to see a trade happen beforehand.  As soon as they are inked to that level everyone knows we’ll be in cap trouble and will need to pay extra on any move made to relieve it and or let assets go for nothing next summer.

As for the previous posters comment we had 4 nhl players walk to free agency last summer, one of which was whined about more than anything on CDC this past season

The last couple off seasons have been a culmination of poor Risk/Cap/Asset management though I have to give them credit for how well they’ve managed to get out of it. They have a pretty much clean slate with a middling team now (on paper similar to what we had in the bubble with much less dead weight) just hope they’ve learned from past mistakes. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Unused LTIR cap space is forfeited and can't be set aside to pay the bonuses.  Teams can only bank cap space on days where they don't touch a cent of their LTIR cap space.  So whether on the day they need 1$ or 3.5M of Ferland's LTIR they can't put the difference aside and that unused LTIR cap space is lost.

Not sure they'll manage to stay sufficiently below the LTIR threshold and/or for long enough to bank the necessary cap space to avoid an overage.  They could drop to 20 players with Abbtosford so close, but might not want to risk waivers with players sitting out and/or not have the extra player in case of a last minute unavailability.

This is my belief too but not others, just pointing out what their logic means next year which is still tight cap wise, my view is it will be much tighter

On 8/25/2021 at 8:30 AM, bbllpp said:

My expectation is significant roll over and needing a chunk of Ferland’s LTIR to sign Hughes and Petey.  I was just pointing out to those who think it’s all good that even with no roll over and with all of Ferland’s cap available next year it will be tight 

Reality will probably be much tighter.  If they sign them for the order of 16M I’d like to see a trade happen beforehand.  As soon as they are inked to that level everyone knows we’ll be in cap trouble and will need to pay extra on any move made to relieve it and or let assets go for nothing next summer.

As for the previous posters comment we had 4 nhl players walk to free agency last summer, one of which was whined about more than anything on CDC this past season

The last couple off seasons have been a culmination of poor Risk/Cap/Asset management though I have to give them credit for how well they’ve managed to get out of it. They have a pretty much clean slate with a middling team now (on paper similar to what we had in the bubble with much less dead weight) just hope they’ve learned from past mistakes. 

Next summer we could move Miller in June , he will be 29 with 1 year left on contract. Move for late 1st rounder and top prospect..

Podkolzin will be ready to take bigger role ..Moving miller we get good return on asset and get top prospect in return.

Horvat and Miller contracts up summer 2023..

Miller will demand 7 million X 4 yrs... 30 yrs old 2023...

Horvat will demand 6.5 X 4 Yrs..  Horvat will be 28 in 2023..

6 hours ago, wildcam said:

Next summer we could move Miller in June , he will be 29 with 1 year left on contract. Move for late 1st rounder and top prospect..

Podkolzin will be ready to take bigger role ..Moving miller we get good return on asset and get top prospect in return.

2 hours ago, Spotted owl said:

Next summer, we could also move Beoser for a boatload.

It would be nice to get a big, physical top six winger and a good defensive prospect back.

I prefer to keep Miller, he is the physical leader of this squad, in my opinion.

It really depends on what Miller is looking for. Does he want to stay? What kind of term and $ is he seeking?

Wildcam's suggestion that Miller and Horvat will only be looking for 4-year deals is kind of ridiculous though. Friggin Zach Hyman just got a 7-year deal. Danault, Coleman, and even Goodrow got 6-year deals. I don't think either will take less than 6. I expect Horvat's extension to be similar to the 8-year deals signed by Couturier and RNH, with a cap hit somewhere in the middle of them ($6.0-$6.5M per).

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s a JFresh tweet I expect CDCers will appreciate:

Notice #15 on that list of the NHL’s top forwards at winning puck battles.

Just another aspect of his game where Boeser has really matured. He’s built up his body off the ice to become one of the stronger guys on the team, and he’s made a real effort in improving his play on the ice to become much harder on pucks and able to really play a heavy game.

His puck battle win rate is just one area where Brock’s effort shows up, in a quantifiable way, and at an high level.

Interesting take, would be interesting to see this in the context of total puck battles rather than minutes played but agree with your sentiment.  Brock is due a break out year offensively and all other aspects of his game have improved year in year out.

Edited by bbllpp

On 9/9/2021 at 8:30 PM, bbllpp said:

Interesting take, would be interesting to see this in the context of total puck battles rather than minutes played but agree with your sentiment.  Brock is due a break out year offensively and all other aspects of his game have improved year in year out.

Yeah, a number of the players ahead played little or very sheltered minutes.  A lot of big bodies and poor skaters on that list, really shows something about the heart Brock brings as he is a little guy on that list.

Brock comes across as a very special person who exudes compassion, loyalty, integrity, respect for others, openness & humility.

Imo, he is a team leader and a burgeoning elite player.

He has had to work through some tough injuries, but is always focused on what he needs to do to improve his game.  He has managed to turn weaknesses into strengths, developing his game into a more complete player who has an impact with or without the puck.  I expect that Brock will have a career season this year and any lingering trade discussions will dry up.

• Vintage 2

27 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Brock comes across as a very special person who exudes compassion, loyalty, integrity, respect for others, openness & humility.

He has had to work through some tough injuries, but is always focused on what he needs to do to improve his game.  He has managed to turn weaknesses into strengths, developing his game into a more complete player who has an impact with or without the puck.  I expect that Brock will have a career season this year and any lingering trade discussions will dry up.

I mean I hope he has a good year but we gotta re-sign him soon so I am rooting for a good long term contract as well. 

Hopefully we can just get him at his QO(7.5M) long term. I would like to keep this core intact. 

47 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Don’t forget he has the best flow in the game bar none. :wub:

On 8/26/2021 at 5:09 PM, wildcam said:

If Miller keeps up around 60-65 pts a season he'll easily get a 6x6.5 on the open market, maybe even 7 or 7.5 on a 5 year. I don't think we will be able to keep him unfortunately.

Horvat on the other hand I think we could land on an 8 year deal just under 7 million, 6.8 just feels right.

In two years time 

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser (6-8 years around 8 million is my guess. I think he's gonna push for 35 this year, of course it has to be a contract season)

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Just goes to show you how deep our top 6/9 is until Horvat's and Miller's contracts are up. Hope they can get some deep runs in and maybe they take slightly less to want to win

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

If Miller keeps up around 60-65 pts a season he'll easily get a 6x6.5 on the open market, maybe even 7 or 7.5 on a 5 year. I don't think we will be able to keep him unfortunately.

Horvat on the other hand I think we could land on an 8 year deal just under 7 million, 6.8 just feels right.

In two years time 

Podkolzin-Petey-Boeser (6-8 years around 8 million is my guess. I think he's gonna push for 35 this year, of course it has to be a contract season)

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Just goes to show you how deep our top 6/9 is until Horvat's and Miller's contracts are up. Hope they can get some deep runs in and maybe they take slightly less to want to win

They have to start winning soon, or else none of the players will take less to win. 

• Like 1