The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

Dmitry Zhukenov is definately one of the Canucks most exciting prospects. I think he's going to catch many people off guard and I believe that he's got a chance to "Hutton" his way into the lineup. As in, once he makes the jump pro, I think he could push his way into the lineup unexpectatedly. We've got a gem with this one.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Dmitry Zhukenov is definately one of the Canucks most exciting prospects. I think he's going to catch many people off guard and I believe that he's got a chance to "Hutton" his way into the lineup. As in, once he makes the jump pro, I think he could push his way into the lineup unexpectatedly. We've got a gem with this one.

I want to believe that, but I haven't seen enough to call it. You watch the kid a lot?

I did read he scores his goals in the danger zone - low slot shots - which is great. He takes it to the net and likes scoring close to the crease.

Also, it's cool he seems to be growing up slowly, so he might hit his full physical potential until 24-25, maybe later.

Hopefully he's a sleeper that tears up the AHL in a few years with a stacked team!

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The next William Nylander? Nylander has yet to play an NHL game. Too early.

He's trending in the same direction.  Smaller, soft Euro, who comes to the CHL.  Starts off a bit slowly, but then starts to take off offensively.  In a couple of seasons he's then ripping it up in the AHL.  Whether he gets to the NHL is still open for debate, but the progress is the same path for similar players.  And we got ours in the fourth round!  :lol:  

20 hours ago, Quantum said:

Exciting, yes. 'Hutton' his way into the lineup, no.

Hutton had the advantage of good size and a couple years in college to get prepared for playing against men. Zhukenov doesn't lack for skill, but will need to work on being able to use that skill on the smaller ice surface as he transitions to the pro game and he's already in tough being a smaller player to do so. He'll take a much slower development route but I'd love to see him keep the skill level high at each step.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

He's trending in the same direction.  Smaller, soft Euro, who comes to the CHL.  Starts off a bit slowly, but then starts to take off offensively.  In a couple of seasons he's then ripping it up in the AHL.  Whether he gets to the NHL is still open for debate, but the progress is the same path for similar players.  And we got ours in the fourth round!  :lol:  

Zhukenov isn't soft.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Smaller + Euro does not automatically mean soft.  He plays a Cole Cassels puckhound style, a bit like McCann as well, doesn't appear to shy away from the tough areas, and in some games has lead his team in hits.  You should check out his highlights from earlier in the thread.

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

Nylander didn't play in the CHL.

But i don't see any reason to move him up to the AHL next year.  Chicoutimi is a good place for him to be for a couple seasons.

• Upvote 1