The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

Kylington and Pilon remind me of when CDC demanded Gillis take Kirill Kabanov in the 2nd round.

How did he turn out again?

Not for similar reasons, but CDC also demanded we take Tatar rather than Rodin, and that didn't work out for the Canucks to say the least, despite claims from management that they were ready to Rodin in the 1st, even.

Just playing Devil's advocate here. I'm really curious to see how he pans out. There's not exactly anyone I was clamouring to take with this pick myself.

• Upvote 1

Kylington and Pilon remind me of when CDC demanded Gillis take Kirill Kabanov in the 2nd round.

How did he turn out again?

Pilon's drop reminds me of Roland Mckeown and Nick Ebert.

Both before their draft season were touted as first round talent as was Pilon. Slowly as the year went on all 3 slipped further down the list and eventually Mckeown dropped into the late second and Ebert who was slated final rankings to be in the second round fell into the 7th and as I recall was the very last pick of the draft.

Pilon dropped from the wayside leading me to believe that the 30 teams didn't quite like what he offered despite being slated to be taken in the 2nd/3rd round.

But what surprises me is that Linden did indicate some interest in Pilon but obviously that opinion changed.

I really like this pick for the following reasons:

-after the first 2 rounds, a player is unlikely to make it into the NHL, therefore you should try to hit for the fences and draft a player who has potential to be a stud

-This kid had great performances at the U-18's, and great international play usually is a good indicator of how he stacks up against elite competition

-Size doesnt matter as much as speed and skill in today's NHL. Tampa was full of these types of players, and our team was sorely lacking when playing speed teams, we just couldnt keep up.

Overall, as a 4th rounder who has lit it up in the international stage, it is a good pick.

Remember Provorov wasnt even on the radar until he had a wicked end to his season and skyrocketed up the draft. If a kid is a late bloomer lets get em in, we have nothing to lose on these later round picks.

• Upvote 4

You, Tom Sestito, and Warhippy have a personal vendetta against Benning dont you? All you guys do is post status/thread(especially in your case) about how bad he is and are consisently trying to poke hole in this reputation that just aren't there

It gets old doesn't?

• Upvote 1

I really like this pick for the following reasons:

-after the first 2 rounds, a player is unlikely to make it into the NHL, therefore you should try to hit for the fences and draft a player who has potential to be a stud

-This kid had great performances at the U-18's, and great international play usually is a good indicator of how he stacks up against elite competition

-Size doesnt matter as much as speed and skill in today's NHL. Tampa was full of these types of players, and our team was sorely lacking when playing speed teams, we just couldnt keep up.

Overall, as a 4th rounder who has lit it up in the international stage, it is a good pick.

Remember Provorov wasnt even on the radar until he had a wicked end to his season and skyrocketed up the draft. If a kid is a late bloomer lets get em in, we have nothing to lose on these later round picks.

I hope we don't get suckered into a copycat deal trying to follow every Cup winner. 2011 should remind us of that, you just never know how the NHL is going to officiate the playoffs. That said i like this pick from the little bit that is known about him.

ZA4_2543.JPG?height=550&width=750

Dark guy in the middle. Kid on the right. With his arm in the air. #27.

Start watching at 2:20. He gets the 3-3 goal (back and forth), and then the 4-4 (gets the rebound to Guryanov) and 5-4 (passes it hashmark-to-hashmark) first assists.

https://vimeo.com/125816652

Start watching at 1:22. Gets the 2-1 goal (tap in behind the goalie).

https://vimeo.com/125397574

Start watching at 2:08. Gets the first assist. Just watch #27. Just brilliant.

https://vimeo.com/125394620

Starting to like this pick now that the dust has settled. Looking at those videos, it seems his passing and vision are already at an pro level.

Does he plan on staying in Russia next year or coming over to play in the CHL? Or is he under contract with a team in Russia?

He's under contract until the 16/17 season. In 2017 he is free to come to north america and (presumably) play for the Comets (or Canucks) for the 17/18 season. So at least 2 season before we see him.

ZA4_2543.JPG?height=550&width=750

Dark guy in the middle. Kid on the right. With his arm in the air. #27.

Start watching at 2:20. He gets the 3-3 goal (back and forth), and then the 4-4 (gets the rebound to Guryanov) and 5-4 (passes it hashmark-to-hashmark) first assists.

https://vimeo.com/125816652

Start watching at 1:22. Gets the 2-1 goal (tap in behind the goalie).

https://vimeo.com/125397574

Start watching at 2:08. Gets the first assist. Just watch #27. Just brilliant.

https://vimeo.com/125394620

Awesome post, kid shows some slick passing and positioning out there.

And he wore the A does that make him a near lock for the world juniors?

Awesome post, kid shows some slick passing and positioning out there.

And he wore the A does that make him a near lock for the world juniors?

He didn't wear the A, maybe it was Gurianov or someone else you saw. But still, I would't be surprised if he did go to WJs.

If (Quite a big if) he reaches his potential, maybe we have a future first line centre.

Zhukenov

Horvat

McCann

Cassels

No guarantee all of them pan out/ are here in the future, of course, but that's very nice down the middle.

Edit: Before everyone jumps on me, I'd love for Horvat to become an Toews-type first line centre. But assuming Zhukenov reaches his potential I take the high end skill on the first line and put the defensive star on the second.

Edited by Canucksfor2012