The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dmitry Zhukenov | C

Just keep this in mind how a player appears has a direct realtionship with the grade of the opposition.

Yeah, that was him taking out 6'2/194 Auston Matthews in the circle.

B)

I'm inclined to dub him the Russian Cole Cassels

Ha, funny you should say! That's exactly what I saw, too -- he's like Cassels in the neutral zone. Constantly buzzing and attacking the puck carrier, disrupting lanes, and breaking up plays. Great to see that kind of D from a junior. Looks like a smart and savy player with good vision and patience, too.

One other thing is as mentioned, his relentlessness. If you noticed in Benning's interviews this past week, one of the traits he's been repeating is "high energy level", and both Zhukenov and Jasek have it -- energy, tenacity, and intensity. That's why Kassian is gone -- JB and TL want players that bring a high level of compete to every game consistently. These two guys WANT to come over here and play, because they want to make the NHL.

Having guys like this along with Kenins, Horvat, Virtanen, Cassels, etc. who all go right at the other team ("get in on the forecheck", another Benning meme) and compete hard is going to make this not only an entertaining team to watch (and appreciate) but a VERY frustrating team to play against.

• Upvote 2

Yeah I like him a lot. Cassels comparison is pretty good. My fav aspect of his game aside from this tenacity is his creativity with the puck . I just hope he can keep that well transitioning to the nhl pro game. I think he's going to be one of my fav nhl 16 players :)

Zhukenov definitely is breaking the stereotype that the Russian can only be an one dimensional and unmotivated player.

His offensive vision looks to be top notch but I love most about him that he seems involved in every shift. Offensively and defensively his positioning looks really good and knows where the spots to be.

Love his determination and grit especially going against Jordan Greenway the hulking 6'5 223lbs powerforward.

He would be a welcomed addition to our team in the near future.

At first was very skeptical of this pick but really starting to become my favourite pick of the draft.

Zhukenov definitely is breaking the stereotype that the Russian can only be an one dimensional and unmotivated player.

His offensive vision looks to be top notch but I love most about him that he seems involved in every shift. Offensively and defensively his positioning looks really good and knows where the spots to be.

Love his determination and grit especially going against Jordan Greenway the hulking 6'5 223lbs powerforward.

He would be a welcomed addition to our team in the near future.

At first was very skeptical of this pick but really starting to become my favourite pick of the draft.

Not only that, he isn't afraid of playing in NA like some of the other russians.

After selecting player: "WHO IS THIS GUY WTF JB WHY YOU DRAFTING GUYS IVE NEVER HEARD OF HE MUST SUCK!!!!"

After seeing 2 or 3 videos of player: "STEAL OF THE DRAFT OMG JB WHAT A GREAT PICK ZHUKENOV FOR PREZ!"

I love CDC's reactions to draft picks. Makes you think that some scout somewhere actually you know, WATCHED THE KID PLAY, and thought he would be a good pick up.

Edited by Jägermeister
  • Upvote 1

So is CDC willing to accept the possibility that we actually had a pretty good draft yet?

I think who we drafted was fine personally. I don't think that's what most people's problems are concerning draft weekend though.

The inability to move Bieksa for the early 2nd and the return for Lack are what people are having problems with, not the actual players drafted IMO.

Then you add in getting a lesser, late second for Bieksa, trading Kassian (and a 5th) for Prust while people were already reeling from those apparent, "poor" returns at the draft....

On top of all that, you have management still selling "staying competitive" with moves that appear to be far more "we're tanking" and you have what we've seen here this week. Sheer and utter panic with a side of confusion.

If they'd like the fan base to calm down and get behind the direction they're headed, they really need to decide what direction that is, and clearly lay it out for people. Sure, you'll still get some folks unhappy with whatever direction they're choosing but they're be a lot less :frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic: