The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

12 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Scoresheet had it one assist, but I guess there was a scoring change. Edited it.

I think they added an assist on the Stevens EN goal.

Here’s the other assist (for which there was no doubt he’d be getting a well earned point):

Edit: that’s what you call a hard earned assist. Pulls the puck away from the goalie, stickhandles on his knees with a defender playing piggyback, and sets up Sikura for the easy tap-in. Those ones should count as two points. ;) 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/12/2018 at 4:35 PM, Silky mitts said:

I see him as a top six talent 

that would be exceedingly rare from a fifth round pick.   I think if he was to get into NHL at all, that would be significant.   If he can really ascend to top six in his career, what an incredible find.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Heard he is staying in college for another year.  This true ?

I haven't seen or read anything that has stated that.  You never know what could happen but by all accounts it looks like he will join us at the completion of his NCAA season. 

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Heard he is staying in college for another year.  This true ?

Nothing set in stone.  His coach said he hoped he would play another year.  He was less certain but seemed he didn't want to contradict the coach's comments/lead anyone to believe he's going to bail as soon as possible/etc etc.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: Also worth noting that Gaudette in general studies. Now I’m not saying that general studies is necessarily a weak degree, as it can allow for a customizable, specialized, and interdisciplinary degree for some very serious scholars. But when it comes to athletes, general studies often is code for just taking a bunch of random courses to fulfill minimum requirements while playing sports. Point is, I doubt Gaudette is one of those guys who values completing his degree over starting his pro hockey career.

Nice info Sid, screw knowledge I say!!...kidding of course, but from what i've heard about him plus this, he wants to be playing hockey, not reading books. You gotta follow your passion in life. 

Edited by Attila Umbrus

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Nice info Sid, screw knowledge I say!!...kidding of course, but from what i've heard about him plus this, he wants to be playing hockey, not reading books. You gotta follow your passion in life. 

Plus it’s really easy to finish off that kind of degree later. It’s basically about hitting the credits total and then you graduate. And while I’m not sure of NU’s specific requirements, most schools award general studies degrees with a pretty wide range of eligible courses and a flexible set of requirements (other than just getting enough total credits and completing a minimum number of upper division courses).

So he can easily complete his degree during his spare time, if he’s so inclined.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

EDIT: Also worth noting that Gaudette in general studies. Now I’m not saying that general studies is necessarily a weak degree, as it can allow for a customizable, specialized, and interdisciplinary degree for some very serious scholars. But when it comes to athletes, general studies often is code for just taking a bunch of random courses to fulfill minimum requirements while playing sports. Point is, I doubt Gaudette is one of those guys who values completing his degree over starting his pro hockey career.

I know I keep mentioning that I go to Northeastern, but in regards to your claim about general studies- I would agree. 

I can confirm that at Northeastern, general studies is a program for students here who don’t know what they want to pursue and the duration of the program is usually 2 years MAX. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, suitup said:

I know I keep mentioning that I go to Northeastern, but in regards to your claim about general studies- I would agree. 

I can confirm that at Northeastern, general studies is a program for students here who don’t know what they want to pursue and the duration of the program is usually 2 years MAX. 

Thanks for this. Nice to hear from someone who attends Northeastern.

Would that 2-year program be just a diploma? Or does Northeastern offer a BGS or a BA (General Studies)?

I didn’t want to throw shade at general studies in particular. There’s a wide range of reasons people go that route. Sometimes it’s just because, like you said, they can’t decide on a major. For others, it’s so they can get a classic “liberal studies” degree (not always practical to the job search but it’s really a great education). And yes, sometimes people do GS so they can take a bunch of “basket weaving” type courses (and lots of athletes still do this). But some people also choose general studies so they can design a really unique and specialized courseload.

I know one guy who did a BGS where he mapped out everything himself, and when there wasn’t a course available on the topic he wanted, he designed one, secured approval, and worked with a supervisor. After graduation, he skipped his masters and went straight into PHD. Smart guy. Can’t remember exactly what he was studying. Something to do with ethics and philosophy and biochemistry and the environment and law and government. A real mixed bag but it made a tonne of sense when he explained it.

But that last example is probably not why Gaudette is in general studies.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this. Nice to hear from someone who attends Northeastern.

Would that 2-year program be just a diploma? Or does Northeastern offer a BGS or a BA (General Studies)?

I didn’t want to throw shade at general studies in particular. There’s a wide range of reasons people go that route. Sometimes it’s just because, like you said, they can’t decide on a major. For others, it’s so they can get a classic “liberal studies” degree (not always practical to the job search but it’s really a great education). And yes, sometimes people do GS so they can take a bunch of “basket weaving” type courses (and lots of athletes still do this). But some people also choose general studies so they can design a really unique and specialized courseload.

I know one guy who did a BGS where he mapped out everything himself, and when there wasn’t a course available on the topic he wanted, he designed one, secured approval, and worked with a supervisor. After graduation, he skipped his masters and went straight into PHD. Smart guy. Can’t remember exactly what he was studying. Something to do with ethics and philosophy and biochemistry and the environment and law and government. A real mixed bag but it made a tonne of sense when he explained it.

But that last example is probably not why Gaudette is in general studies.

Education aside the next shift can always be your last in hockey. If a knee injury happens better that it be as a pro. Not the only consideration but should be a serious one for anyone considering one more year of college hockey. I expect Gaudette to finish the year as a Canauck.