The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

3 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

I see him as a top six talent 

that would be exceedingly rare from a fifth round pick.   I think if he was to get into NHL at all, that would be significant.   If he can really ascend to top six in his career, what an incredible find.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

that would be exceedingly rare from a fifth round pick.   I think if he was to get into NHL at all, that would be significant.   If he can really ascend to top six in his career, what an incredible find.

Leading the NCAA in scoring is no small feat -he will be up for the Hobey Baker, and the players who have done both of those things and made the NHL tend to have been pretty good players!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

Do you have any idea why Garrett Cockerill seems to have dropped out in his 4th year? He was in the echl and I think just got called up to the AHL. Was a rhd on same team this year as a senior over or at a ppg after 15gp then left

It’s a bit of a strange story and I don’t have any details beyond the few press releases that have come out.

Around a month ago, NU had this weird announcement that Cockerill was no longer a member of the team. They gave no reasons. Just thanked him for his service and he was gone.

Maybe a week later, he signs an ECHL-only deal with Kalamazoo.

And then just this week he signed a 25 day AHL PTO with Cleveland.

It’s all a little weird to me as to why he’d leave NU in the middle of his senior year without a guaranteed pro contact. And then he ends up signing an ECHL-only deal? Must be something more to the story, but I haven’t come across anything explaining why he decided to go the route he has.

I hope the recent PTO works out for him and that leads to an AHL deal (and maybe even an NHL deal in the future).

I’m definitely supportive of these guys leaving early to pursue pro hockey. But usually when the leave college, it’s at least with a guaranteed AHL deal, at minimum, and often with an NHL ELC.

Dunno why he wouldn’t just finish out the season and then throw his name in the ring for the NHL signing frenzy that happens every year with the class of graduating college players. He was over a point per game for NU this season, wearing the “A”, and playing with stars like Gaudette and Sikura. I’d imagine he could have parlayed all that into a potential NHL deal during the summer, and still finished out his senior season and collected a degree along the way.

Maybe there was an academic issue that hasn’t been reported? Just speculating because I haven’t really come across the full story anywhere.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

It’s a bit of a strange story and I don’t have any details beyond the few press releases that have come out.

Around a month ago, NU had this weird announcement that Cockerill was no longer a member of the team. They gave no reasons. Just thanked him for his service and he was gone.

Maybe a week later, he signs an ECHL-only deal with Kalamazoo.

And then just this week he signed a 25 day AHL PTO with Cleveland.

It’s all a little weird to me as to why he’d leave NU in the middle of his senior year without a guaranteed pro contact. And then he ends up signing an ECHL-only deal? Must be something more to the story, but I haven’t come across anything explaining why he decided to go the route he has.

I hope the recent PTO works out for him and that leads to an AHL deal (and maybe even an NHL deal in the future).

I’m definitely supportive of these guys leaving early to pursue pro hockey. But usually when the leave college, it’s at least with a guaranteed AHL deal, at minimum, and often with an NHL ELC.

Dunno why he wouldn’t just finish out the season and then throw his name in the ring for the NHL signing frenzy that happens every year with the class of graduating college players. He was over a point per game for NU this season, wearing the “A”, and playing with stars like Gaudette and Sikura. I’d imagine he could have parlayed all that into a potential NHL deal during the summer, and still finished out his senior season and collected a degree along the way.

Maybe there was an academic issue that hasn’t been reported? Just speculating because I haven’t really come across the full story anywhere.

Just random thoughts, but maybe it was to do with his academic side? I did a degree in accounting and 3rd year realised I didn't want to do accounting (I did finish the degree still mind you, although now I'm in computer science and enjoying that a lot more), Perhaps he wasn't liking the direction the degree was going, whether it be through lack of interest in the subject or not getting the grades he wanted.

Obviously it might not be the case, but it would make sense if he decided to not continue his studies and give hockey more of a shot.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Just random thoughts, but maybe it was to do with his academic side? I did a degree in accounting and 3rd year realised I didn't want to do accounting (I did finish the degree still mind you, although now I'm in computer science and enjoying that a lot more), Perhaps he wasn't liking the direction the degree was going, whether it be through lack of interest in the subject or not getting the grades he wanted.

Obviously it might not be the case, but it would make sense if he decided to not continue his studies and give hockey more of a shot.

That was my thinking as well, when I tried to speculate on the reason. Either he decided to quit whatever he was studying and this compromised his NCAA eligibility. Or it’s just as simple as he didn’t make grades (and maybe the team didn’t want to shame him for it so they just cut ties without disclosing any reasons).

Also could be that he was really close to a deal with either and NHL or AHL team, thought it was a sure thing, dropped out, and then the deal fell through. And then he had to scramble and find a team and the ECHL was his only option. That would really suck for him but I could see it happening.

What I don’t see as at all likely is that everything was hunky dory, he was enjoying school, getting good grades, playing well, and suddenly he decided to throw all that away because the Kalamazoo Wings offered him an ECHL-only contract. 

So something happened. Who knows what?

And it’s really none of my business, I suppose. But being a hockey fan, and one of the prospects nerd variety, I can’t help but speculate about even a very minor player who isn’t part of our organization (or was only tangentially so while in Kalamazoo). 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos

Bucci Mane‏Verified account @Buccigross 12h12 hours ago

Adam Gaudette continues to fill it up for Northeastern. Goals 16 and 17 ..43 goals in last 58 games for the @Canucks draft pick.

#10 Huskies beat Maine, 5-3

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bucci Mane‏Verified account @Buccigross 12h12 hours ago

Adam Gaudette continues to fill it up for Northeastern. Goals 16 and 17 ..43 goals in last 58 games for the @Canucks draft pick.

#10 Huskies beat Maine, 5-3

43 goals in 58 games...I think he will be more than a bottom 6 player...we may have 3 first line center's in a couple years....

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

43 goals in 58 games...I think he will be more than a bottom 6 player...we may have 3 first line center's in a couple years....

His stats are damn impressive, but the jump from College to high end talent in the NHL is not easy. Huge difference in talent. I am just excited that he is good at faceoffs, has skill, plays hard all the time and being a right shot is a bonus.

Really looking forward to seeing him get some games here at the end of the year, hope that is his and the Canucks intentions

55 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He’s been producing points and goals at a very high rate and maintained a steep and stable upward trend since about Christmas of his freshman season.

Gaudette had only 5 points through his first 18 NCAA games.

And then, something just happened. Game started to click for him and all of a sudden, he’s producting numbers like a first round pick. And he just builds from there.

Finished the second half of his freshman year with 25 points in 23 games.

Outstanding rookie numbers. Over a point per game and around a half goal per game during that final 20ish game stretch as a freshman.

Sophomore year, he improves to 1.4 points/game and 0.7 goals/game. Finishes top-10 in points and top-5 in goals. Again, simply outstanding numbers, as a second year player.

Now in his junior (3rd) year, he’s currently at 1.57 points/game and 0.8 goals/game. Good enough to lead the entire NCAA in both points and goals. 2nd (to only Sikura) in points/game and 1st in goals/game.

I can only imagine how dominant he’d be as a senior.

But I expect he’ll be a Canuck well before that could even happen.

I’m seeing so many people lately saying “how the hell did Vancouver nab this kid in the fifth round?”

And they aren’t wrong. Gaudette is looking right now like one of the biggest steals of the 2015 draft.

I love that because of his 5th round pick status there is very little hype and expectation surrounding him. It's going to be much easier for him to transition into an NHL player without the hype and expectations that would come about being a 1st round pick and leading the NCAA in scoring. 

• Upvote 1

Imagine

Petterson=Backstrom

Horvat=Bergeron

Gaudette=Kesler

Lind=Sharp

Gadjovich=Bertuzzi

Boeser=Hull

Virtanen=Wilson

Tryamkin=Chara

Juolevi=Lindholm

Demko=Quick

If ALL of them pan out to even 75% of that potential of these players they've been compared too that is a fearsome fearsome team to play against.  No I am not saying they WILL be these guys, but these are the guys they've been compared too and 75% of any of those players are still amazing hockey players

A canucks team that drafted the following:

Three 1A/1B centers

Three 1st/2nd line wingers

One 2nd/3rd line winger

Two top pairing D

One Vezina caliber goaltender

A lot to ask for but....

I still think Gaudette needs some small amount of AHL time but he's really coming out of nowhere regarding his draft status and looks to be the true definition of a late round steal

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2018 at 10:49 AM, Rick Blight said:

I prefer to ignore the fact he was a 5th round pick and focus more on the fact that he is currently leading the NCAA in scoring and how that might translate to having a successful NHL career.

You nailed it. Being a 5th rounder is what is bringing doubt into whether Gaudette could be a top liner in the NHL. If he was a 1st rounder or even 2nd this false image wouldn't even be a question.

Some players mature differently & Gaudette is a diamond in the ruff. Yes 5th rounders that turn into top line players are rare but not far fetched either. Many many great players come from the later rounds or some even never drafted...(Gudreau, St.Louis, Benn, Zetterrberg, Datsyuk, Byfuglien, Klingberg, Gilmour, Hall, Robitaille, Alfredsson, etc.)

Looking like we might have got ourselves one here.

Just like Boeser slipping to #23 when we all know he'd be a top 10 if not top 5 pick today. They all develop differently...

7 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

OMGAUD...:shock:::D

I'm really really starting to get excited about this kid.

2 minutes ago, Mr53 said:

I get a feeling this nugget of info might be appreciated here :) 

Also, Adam has one assist so far through two periods against Maine

Man that tape job looks real ugly :lol:. but hey, it works for him!

Edited by Odd.

Lol Gaudette beaver tapped at least 20 times in on one PP. Looked quite frustrated that his teammate didn't pass to him. Guy has a bit of an attitude eh.

We need some of that attitude in our line-up.