The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

51 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Thanks for this. Nice to hear from someone who attends Northeastern.

Would that 2-year program be just a diploma? Or does Northeastern offer a BGS or a BA (General Studies)?

I didn’t want to throw shade at general studies in particular. There’s a wide range of reasons people go that route. Sometimes it’s just because, like you said, they can’t decide on a major. For others, it’s so they can get a classic “liberal studies” degree (not always practical to the job search but it’s really a great education). And yes, sometimes people do GS so they can take a bunch of “basket weaving” type courses (and lots of athletes still do this). But some people also choose general studies so they can design a really unique and specialized courseload.

I know one guy who did a BGS where he mapped out everything himself, and when there wasn’t a course available on the topic he wanted, he designed one, secured approval, and worked with a supervisor. After graduation, he skipped his masters and went straight into PHD. Smart guy. Can’t remember exactly what he was studying. Something to do with ethics and philosophy and biochemistry and the environment and law and government. A real mixed bag but it made a tonne of sense when he explained it.

But that last example is probably not why Gaudette is in general studies.

Thanks for your response and insight Sid! 

To answer your question, Northeastern does not have any 2 year undergraduate program (not any that I know of), and all degrees are either Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science. 

That’s really awesome to hear! Your friend seems really smart indeed. The General Studies program in Northeastern however, is a little different in that it is not actually a major you can graduate with, but it is literately a program where the school helps you take various classes so you know which major you actually want to graduate with. More of a 2 year transition program if you will. I’ve had friends who actually came into Northeastern through that program and they are now pursuing various other studies. I can attest to the fact that they’re actually all very bright people indeed. ;) 

In Gaudette’s case I believe you are correct in that it seems that it is just a placeholder to play hockey, as general studies isn’t a program most “normal students” take into their third year. By then, most students are either forced or eased into a program of their choice.

Most hockey players who actually want to complete their studies here usually major in Arts degrees like Graphic Design, or Communication Studies. 

I believe it is known that last year’s NCAA FA, Zach Aston-Reese, actually completed his 4 years and earned a degree in Graphic Design. (If memory serves me right). 

Edited by suitup
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, suitup said:

I know I keep mentioning that I go to Northeastern, but in regards to your claim about general studies- I would agree. 

I can confirm that at Northeastern, general studies is a program for students here who don’t know what they want to pursue and the duration of the program is usually 2 years MAX. 

There we go! Straight from the horses mouth (think I got that saying correct lol!?). Thanks for the solid info. Enjoy Gaudette for us, he must be a fun player to watch live. Do you go to any of the games? Hopefully we see him in a Canucks uniform at the end of your NCAA season. Cheers!

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

There we go! Straight from the horses mouth (think I got that saying correct lol!?). Thanks for the solid info. Enjoy Gaudette for us, he must be a fun player to watch live. Do you go to any of the games? Hopefully we see him in a Canucks uniform at the end of your NCAA season. Cheers!

Will do, and he definitely is! I've gone to live games last year, but not so much this year as I spent my last 6 months on co-op (a requirement that most Northeastern students fulfill before graduation, but 99.999% of athletes don't go through this requirement). The Vancouver Canucks has always been my favorite team, so I hope I can come to Vancouver someday and watch him live. Watching a live Canucks game has always been a dream of mine, perhaps I can go when they visit the Bruins or have the privilege to visit Vancouver again. 

Also if some of you are wondering about Dylan Sikura, the answer is yes. We should definitely go after him if the Hawks can't sign him. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Will do, and he definitely is! I've gone to live games last year, but not so much this year as I spent my last 6 months on co-op (a requirement that most Northeastern students fulfill before graduation, but 99.999% of athletes don't go through this requirement). The Vancouver Canucks has always been my favorite team, so I hope I can come to Vancouver someday and watch him live. Watching a live Canucks game has always been a dream of mine, perhaps I can go when they visit the Bruins or have the privilege to visit Vancouver again. 

Also if some of you are wondering about Dylan Sikura, the answer is yes. We should definitely go after him if the Hawks can't sign him. 

Nice, right on! Hope you get to fulfill your dream. It's a great city and there aren't a lot of bad spots at Rogers place viewing wise. Even in the top deck you can still see the players pretty well. I usually sit somewhere in the middle upper deck, this way I can watch both ends of the rink evenly. I actually prefer it view wise. The lower deck you don't get to see as much of the play. Sign me up for Sikura! I'm a fan for sure. Cheers, again :) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suitup said:

Regarding hockey though, Gaudette is definitely the Husky's MVP this year and even has a shot at the Hobey Baker. After the past 3 years, I really believe Gaudette has the potential to be a top 6 player. Everyone here talks about how amazing Horvat was for working hard to improve his skating, but not a lot of people know about Gaudette. When he first came in, skating wasn't one of this strengths. But now, due to his incredible work ethic in improving his skating and shot during the offseason and throughout the school season, both of those things are. He's definitely a versatile and competitive player. Great two-way play, and is relied on both the PP, PK, and 4v4. Out there to take important draws and close out the last minutes of almost every game. Very complete player that has gradually filled out his size throughout the last 3 years. 

Highest PPG and most points in the entire NCAA as of this writing. 

If he's not voted top 3 for the Hobey Baker by the of the year, then you know someone got on their knees. 

Great insight on his skating and shot.

I knew he had some room for improvement there (and his skating still can look a little choppy at times) but glad to hear he’s been working hard.

His shot seems pro level now. Just so many lasers off quick releases. Good accuracy. And has some spots on the ice where he’s just lethal.

I wasn’t sure how his skating stacks up at the pro level. He definitely looks like a “plus” skater these days, in terms of how he measures against opposition players, how much ice he covers, his speed on the rush, and how quickly he gets where he needs to be. Looked very good at camp for Vancouver as well. But I’ve been hesitant to say he’s truly a pro level skater without seeing him play competitively at that pace of the game.

Not saying he isn’t there, but it’s sometimes hard to gauge if a guy has NHL speed just because he looks fast in college (especially when viewing video versus attending live). I do believe his skating will be a strength of his pro game, but he might still need some coaching and technique work, plus continued strength and conditioning training to maximize his ability.

Agreed that Gaudette deserves major Hobey consideration this year, especially if he keeps playing like this. He’s really been the MVP this year. Plays in all situations. Takes far and away the most faceoffs. Leading the NCAA in scoring. And has proven over the years that he can succeed with a variety of linemates, and can be “the guy” even when other big names have graduated, or when a guy like Sikura is out of the lineup.

I’m curious if he looks any stronger this year? Hard to tell sometimes because he’s an edgy player who works hard, so it’s not like he ever looks weak or there. But seems like he’s still listed in the 185-190 lbs range and I’d probably like to see him over 200 lbs to play his style of game, especially at centre, at the NHL level. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Odd. said:

Lol Gaudette beaver tapped at least 20 times in on one PP. Looked quite frustrated that his teammate didn't pass to him. Guy has a bit of an attitude eh.

We need some of that attitude in our line-up.

Man, he is gonna love playing with Alex Edler on the PP :lol:

• Upvote 3

49 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Nice, right on! Hope you get to fulfill your dream. It's a great city and there aren't a lot of bad spots at Rogers place viewing wise. Even in the top deck you can still see the players pretty well. I usually sit somewhere in the middle upper deck, this way I can watch both ends of the rink evenly. I actually prefer it view wise. The lower deck you don't get to see as much of the play. Sign me up for Sikura! I'm a fan for sure. Cheers, again :) 

Thanks Attila! Will keep the hot tips in mind! Cheers! :) 

43 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Great insight on his skating and shot.

I knew he had some room for improvement there (and his skating still can look a little choppy at times) but glad to hear he’s been working hard.

His shot seems pro level now. Just so many lasers off quick releases. Good accuracy. And has some spots on the ice where he’s just lethal.

I wasn’t sure how his skating stacks up at the pro level. He definitely looks like a “plus” skater these days, in terms of how he measures against opposition players, how much ice he covers, his speed on the rush, and how quickly he gets where he needs to be. Looked very good at camp for Vancouver as well. But I’ve been hesitant to say he’s truly a pro level skater without seeing him play competitively at that pace of the game.

Not saying he isn’t there, but it’s sometimes hard to gauge if a guy has NHL speed just because he looks fast in college (especially when viewing video versus attending live). I do believe his skating will be a strength of his pro game, but he might still need some coaching and technique work, plus continued strength and conditioning training to maximize his ability.

Agreed that Gaudette deserves major Hobey consideration this year, especially if he keeps playing like this. He’s really been the MVP this year. Plays in all situations. Takes far and away the most faceoffs. Leading the NCAA in scoring. And has proven over the years that he can succeed with a variety of linemates, and can be “the guy” even when other big names have graduated, or when a guy like Sikura is out of the lineup.

I’m curious if he looks any stronger this year? Hard to tell sometimes because he’s an edgy player who works hard, so it’s not like he ever looks weak or there. But seems like he’s still listed in the 185-190 lbs range and I’d probably like to see him over 200 lbs to play his style of game, especially at centre, at the NHL level. 

His skating (at least at the NCAA level) is definitely there live. Like you mentioned, very good off the rush and covering space on the ice. What I'm most impressed with is his skating when hunting down loose pucks on the PK and when down a man with an empty net. But against pros I suppose we'll find out at the end of the year ;)

I don't know if he's any bigger this year, but I suppose my previous post is more of a comparison to when he first came in in his freshman year. When I saw him around campus, I admit he's probably not the biggest guy on our team, but it's something he can definitely work towards. I have faith that Gaudette will continue filling out and be able to get to an adequate size for the pro game. From everything I've heard and seen, he's a very determined individual. 

The North-South gritty two-way play kind of reminds me of Mike Richards a little bit. But maybe someone can provide a better comparison. 

1 hour ago, suitup said:

Regarding hockey though, Gaudette is definitely the Husky's MVP this year and even has a shot at the Hobey Baker. After the past 3 years, I really believe Gaudette has the potential to be a top 6 player. Everyone here talks about how amazing Horvat was for working hard to improve his skating, but not a lot of people know about Gaudette. When he first came in, skating wasn't one of this strengths. But now, due to his incredible work ethic in improving his skating and shot during the offseason and throughout the school season, both of those things are. He's definitely a versatile and competitive player. Great two-way play, and is relied on both the PP, PK, and 4v4. Out there to take important draws and close out the last minutes of almost every game. Very complete player that has gradually filled out his size throughout the last 3 years. 

Highest PPG and most points in the entire NCAA as of this writing. 

If he's not voted top 3 for the Hobey Baker by the of the year, then you know someone got on their knees. 

The debate to wether he's a top six or not is pointless in my opinion because he has the potential to be a factor even when not scoring. Goldobin is a prime example that without work ethic pure skill is not enough. If Gaudette can come in a be a great two way player while chipping in a few goals here and there then he would already surpass expectations for a 5th rounder. Becoming a top top six is just the cherry on top.

3 minutes ago, JC2 said:

The debate to wether he's a top six or not is pointless in my opinion because he has the potential to be a factor even when not scoring. Goldobin is a prime example that without work ethic pure skill is not enough. If Gaudette can come in a be a great two way player while chipping in a few goals here and there then he would already surpass expectations for a 5th rounder. Becoming a top top six is just the cherry on top.

Well either way, I suppose he'll be a good player in our lineup :)

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, suitup said:

His skating (at least at the NCAA level) is definitely there live. Like you mentioned, very good off the rush and covering space on the ice. What I'm most impressed with is his skating when hunting down loose pucks on the PK and when down a man with an empty net. But against pros I suppose we'll find out at the end of the year ;)

I don't know if he's any bigger this year, but I suppose my previous post is more of a comparison to when he first came in in his freshman year. When I saw him around campus, I admit he's probably not the biggest guy on our team, but it's something he can definitely work towards. I have faith that Gaudette will continue filling out and be able to get to an adequate size for the pro game. From everything I've heard and seen, he's a very determined individual. 

The North-South gritty two-way play kind of reminds me of Mike Richards a little bit. But maybe someone can provide a better comparison. 

Yeah, definitely can see the Richards comparison. Or Kesler, which obviously resonates with Vancouver fans.

I can see him having that kind kind of impact and importance for our future lineup.

But really, he’s gonna be Gaudette. And in a few years people will be comparing kids to him.

I think I nitpick a little on him, and keep my projections low, just because I don’t want to overhype him. And I have been known to be a bit of a hype man when it comes to our prospects. ;) 

Just don’t want to create too high of expectations.

If I’m being honest, I’m really very high on Gaudette and I don’t think an NHL top-6 projection is unwarranted in the slightest. He has the potential to be pretty special. Lots of the things he’s doing now are going to translate well to the pro game. His talent and skill set, combined with his playstyle, competitive attitude, intensity, they’re all really protectable to overall NHL success. And there’s really a lot of skill there. Maybe not elite talent, but he’s high end, and does a lot of things really well.

I think it’s more likely than not that he steps into the Canucks lineup immediately and just doesn’t leave. It’s possible he takes an AHL year, but I’m not sure he needs it. Either way, it shouldn’t take him long to be truly NHL ready. And once he’s here, I see him quickly becoming a core piece somewhere in the Canucks middle six. Big minutes at evens, matchups, power play, PK, just a guy who’s gonna help out in a lot of game situations.

I won’t say he’s a can’t miss prospect. But I’m excited for what he’ll do when he gets his chance. And I’m expecting big things.

I just don’t want to overhype it.

So this will be my release valve post where the hype man comes out a little.

I’ll go back to being more conservative for my next post. :P

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, definitely can see the Richards comparison. Or Kesler, which obviously resonates with Vancouver fans.

I can see him having that kind kind of impact and importance for our future lineup.

But really, he’s gonna be Gaudette. And in a few years people will be comparing kids to him.

I think I nitpick a little on him, and keep my projections low, just because I don’t want to overhype him. And I have been known to be a bit of a hype man when it comes to our prospects. ;) 

Just don’t want to create too high of expectations.

If I’m being honest, I’m really very high on Gaudette and I don’t think an NHL top-6 projection is unwarranted in the slightest. He has the potential to be pretty special. Lots of the things he’s doing now are going to translate well to the pro game. His talent and skill set, combined with his playstyle, competitive attitude, intensity, they’re all really protectable to overall NHL success. And there’s really a lot of skill there. Maybe not elite talent, but he’s high end, and does a lot of things really well.

I think it’s more likely than not that he steps into the Canucks lineup immediately and just doesn’t leave. It’s possible he takes an AHL year, but I’m not sure he needs it. Either way, it shouldn’t take him long to be truly NHL ready. And once he’s here, I see him quickly becoming a core piece somewhere in the Canucks middle six. Big minutes at evens, matchups, power play, PK, just a guy who’s gonna help out in a lot of game situations.

I won’t say he’s a can’t miss prospect. But I’m excited for what he’ll do when he gets his chance. And I’m expecting big things.

I just don’t want to overhype it.

So this will be my release valve post where the hype man comes out a little.

I’ll go back to being more conservative for my next post. :P

Hahaha that's awesome. I agree with a lot of the things you've said. Much earlier in this thread I also told everybody to keep a conservative projection, but since he's leading the NCAA in scoring after midway through the season, I couldn't help but let a little hype out. But yes, let's keep expectations low and be happy when they're exceeded ;)

Honestly, I'd actually be pretty happy if he even got to Brad Richardson's level. If he exceeds that then we can come back to this thread and let our hypeman-selves be. 

4 hours ago, suitup said:

He was drafted as a high-motor player believed to have offensive upside.  At the time, he weighed about the same as Pettersson (<170) so he's certainly put the spade work into his development.  THIS is why you draft driven character kids like him, Lind, DiPietro, and Lockwood.

4 hours ago, suitup said:

That would definitely make things interesting, establishing us with our core line pairings:

Pettersson-Dahlen

Horvat-Boeser

Gaudette-Sikura

Then we still have Virtanen, Baertschi, Goldobin, etc. to fill in the rest.

Edited by Hutton Wink
  • Cheers 1

Mike Richards.... For a second I thought you guys were saying Brad Richards. That would be great. I loved Richards until his substance abuse issues took over his career. He was a leader and Captain of his team, great player before he got traded. 

Honestly I'm expecting a 3C who can jump up as 2C when needed due to injuries etc. A great 3C who can score 15 goals 30 assists per year. Kills penalties, check the other team's top lines. That would be a great player for this team. Very hard to find a player like that and all Cup teams have them. 

Edited by WHL rocks

37 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

I don't really watch or pay attention to a lot of college hockey other then our prospects but what do the other college players selected to the US Olympic team (Donato, Greenway, and Terry) bring that Gaudette doesn't? 

They all have history with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program and, at least for 2/3 mentioned, they were picked much higher in the NHL draft.

Other than that, I’m not sure.

If you compared them apples to apples, based on their NCAA performances the past three years, I think you’d be hard pressed to come up with a convincing argument for Gaudette not measuring up against those players.