The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Agree with a lot of what you’re saying, when it comes to college prospects.

But I also think Gaudette has a fair amount more pro upside than guys like Aston-Reese (who I actually liked a lot as a prospect and trumpeted as potential FA target since his sophomore year).

Gaudette already has NHL worthy tools in his skating and a high end shot. There’s certainly some room to improve in both areas, but he’s already pro level IMO. And far ahead of where Aston-Reese was at the same age.

By his sophomore year (and arguably the end of his freshman season), Gaudette was already a dominant player and producing elite college numbers. 

Aston-Reese never really had elite tools (although certainly strong in several areas), and some questions about his skating and top end offensive skills. He had a great attitude and a pretty solid overall game (at least for the college level). His earlier numbers were fairly pedestrian (in terms of NHL upside) and it took him until his senior year before he really exploded offensively. By that point, he was becoming a bit of a big fish in a small pond. Was dominating against college competition but a fair amount of this was due to his age and physical maturity, and there were definitely questions as to whether or not he had the size needed to play that same heavy game at the pro level or enough top end skills required to be anywhere near as effective offensively against higher level competition. 

Gaudette might not have a pure skill set of a truly elite prospect like a Boeser or Keller (just to name a couple of the high profile NCAA players in the current rookie NHL race), but he definitely has some NHL grade tools along with a very complete overall game.

Like Aston-Reese (and some of the other top college FAs), Gaudette brings a very high compete level and excellent work ethic. However, he also has high end tools that started to reveal themselves as an underclassman, and he’s had the early success you expect from much higher draft picks.

I’d expect him, when he finally decides to go pro, to either jump straight in to the NHL or maybe need just one season (or less) of AHL seasoning.

If Gaudette was only hitting 50ish points by his senior year, I’d have my doubts. But 50+ points as a sophomore (and scoring around that pace since the second half of his freshman year) is impressive stuff. He’s probably looking at another 50-60 points this season as a junior and who know how many more if he played a senior year (hopefully we don’t find out because he gets signed before he can go back for another year).

I really like the way he scores a lot of goals off complete snipes. Highlight worthy stuff that showcases skills that are above the level he’s currently playing. Similarly with the way he flies around the ice using his speed. He’s only going to get better as his improves his skating technique and physical training, but he projects to be a plus level skater as a pro.

And he’s already physically dominant and plays a heavy game, especially in the offensive zone. Fights for his ice, out battles opponents on loose pucks, and is a really tenacious forechecker.

He will only get stronger as he matures and adds muscle mass to fill out his 6’1”-6’2” frame, but he already looks physically ready for the NHL.

Plus he’s so solid defensively. Just a really complete player. I mean, Gaudette is one of his coach’s first choices at a 5-on-3, whether NU is up or down 2 men. And he’s the guy taking the faceoff, whether it’s the opening draw, on key special teams, or closing out the final minutes with the lead.

Obviously, I’m high on him as a prospect, but I see Gaudette as a player who could slot into several different roles in an NHL bottom-9, plus special teams, and be quite effective. And given the current makeup (and obvious deficiencies) of the Vancouver roster and overall depth chart, I see a lot of opportunities for Gaudette to claim a spot and find pretty much immediate success with the Canucks.

I could be wrong, but I already see a pretty polished prospect in Gaudette who looks very close to NHL-ready, with a tonne of pro upside, and still enough room to grow for him to get even better. 

Thanks for the scouting report Sid.  

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

But I also think Gaudette has a fair amount more pro upside than guys like Aston-Reese (who I actually liked a lot as a prospect and trumpeted as potential FA target since his sophomore year).

Gaudette already has NHL worthy tools in his skating and a high end shot. There’s certainly some room to improve in both areas, but he’s already pro level IMO. And far ahead of where Aston-Reese was at the same age.

By his sophomore year (and arguably the end of his freshman season), Gaudette was already a dominant player and producing elite college numbers. 

Aston-Reese never really had elite tools (although certainly strong in several areas), and some questions about his skating and top end offensive skills. He had a great attitude and a pretty solid overall game (at least for the college level). His earlier numbers were fairly pedestrian (in terms of NHL upside) and it took him until his senior year before he really exploded offensively. By that point, he was becoming a bit of a big fish in a small pond. Was dominating against college competition but a fair amount of this was due to his age and physical maturity, and there were definitely questions as to whether or not he had the size needed to play that same heavy game at the pro level or enough top end skills required to be anywhere near as effective offensively against higher level competition. 

Gaudette might not have a pure skill set of a truly elite prospect like a Boeser or Keller (just to name a couple of the high profile NCAA players in the current rookie NHL race), but he definitely has some NHL grade tools along with a very complete overall game.

Like Aston-Reese (and some of the other top college FAs), Gaudette brings a very high compete level and excellent work ethic. However, he also has high end tools that started to reveal themselves as an underclassman, and he’s had the early success you expect from much higher draft picks.

I’d expect him, when he finally decides to go pro, to either jump straight in to the NHL or maybe need just one season (or less) of AHL seasoning.

If Gaudette was only hitting 50ish points by his senior year, I’d have my doubts. But 50+ points as a sophomore (and scoring around that pace since the second half of his freshman year) is impressive stuff. He’s probably looking at another 50-60 points this season as a junior and who know how many more if he played a senior year (hopefully we don’t find out because he gets signed before he can go back for another year).

I really like the way he scores a lot of goals off complete snipes. Highlight worthy stuff that showcases skills that are above the level he’s currently playing. Similarly with the way he flies around the ice using his speed. He’s only going to get better as his improves his skating technique and physical training, but he projects to be a plus level skater as a pro.

And he’s already physically dominant and plays a heavy game, especially in the offensive zone. Fights for his ice, out battles opponents on loose pucks, and is a really tenacious forechecker.

He will only get stronger as he matures and adds muscle mass to fill out his 6’1”-6’2” frame, but he already looks physically ready for the NHL.

Plus he’s so solid defensively. Just a really complete player. I mean, Gaudette is one of his coach’s first choices at a 5-on-3, whether NU is up or down 2 men. And he’s the guy taking the faceoff, whether it’s the opening draw, on key special teams, or closing out the final minutes with the lead.

Obviously, I’m high on him as a prospect, but I see Gaudette as a player who could slot into several different roles in an NHL bottom-9, plus special teams, and be quite effective. And given the current makeup (and obvious deficiencies) of the Vancouver roster and overall depth chart, I see a lot of opportunities for Gaudette to claim a spot and find pretty much immediate success with the Canucks.

I could be wrong, but I already see a pretty polished prospect in Gaudette who looks very close to NHL-ready, with a tonne of pro upside, and still enough room to grow for him to get even better. 

You're not wrong.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not a word of disagreement from me on either Gaudette or Aston-Reese.  I'm also very interested to see how Sikura does without Adam in the AHL next year.  Suspect Gaudette has been driving an awful lot of offense for that line, not unlike Brock (and Schmaltz) did for Caggiula

• Cheers 1

Don't get me wrong, Gaudette has shown to be a promising prospect indeed and I really hope he succeeds with the Canucks.

However, let's understand that a very small number of 5th rounders ever make a career in the NHL let alone become impact players of any significance (approximately 5-15% chance a 5th rounder even plays two seasons in the NHL).  Yes, I understand that some players fall victim to the statistics and some defy them as if they don't apply to them at all.

People thinking Gaudette will have a 'Brock-like' impact may be placing unreal expectations on the kid (I know, that NEVER happens around here::D).  

Realistically, if he plays 1-2 years in the AHL then becomes a serviceable player for the team after that I'd still be happy and he'd still be defying the odds of where he was drafted. 

As I said, don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if he amounted to half of what some people here are claiming he'll become in the time they're indicating - but I'm just a pessimist by nature perhaps? 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Don't get me wrong, Gaudette has shown to be a promising prospect indeed and I really hope he succeeds with the Canucks.

However, let's understand that a very small number of 5th rounders ever make a career in the NHL let alone become impact players of any significance (approximately 5-15% chance a 5th rounder even plays two seasons in the NHL).  Yes, I understand that some players fall victim to the statistics and some defy them as if they don't apply to them at all.

People thinking Gaudette will have a 'Brock-like' impact may be placing unreal expectations on the kid (I know, that NEVER happens around here::D).  

Realistically, if he plays 1-2 years in the AHL then becomes a serviceable player for the team after that I'd still be happy and he'd still be defying the odds of where he was drafted. 

As I said, don't get me wrong, I'd be thrilled if he amounted to half of what some people here are claiming he'll become in the time they're indicating - but I'm just a pessimist by nature perhaps? 

You do realize Fanuck that everything you've just said here, albeit very realistic and complete common sense, is absolute heresy to most all of CDC and pretty much everyone here (despite yourself of course) already has both Brock and Adam penciled in as the next two Calder winners and foundational pieces of the cup team we'll have in a few seasons........::D

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would tend to agree any 'Boeser-like' performance expectations are bound to result in disappointment but 5th rounder or not, I'd be shocked if he didn't become a solid middle 6 NHL'er and likely sooner than later. 

If this was just one season or part of a season of him doing well, I'd me more 'pessimistic' (more likely 'wait and see'). But he's been doing this pretty consistently for a while now as well as playing VERY well at our prospect tourny this past summer. IMO, he's the real deal.

35 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

and what portion of those 85-95% of 5th rounders that fail follow the same development trajectory as gaudette in the 2.5 years after being drafted?

LOL at people who think he doesn’t have a great shot, he’s not boeser......lower the bar people. 

Hes nhl ready today. If you don’t believe me go ahead and watch him.....easier to get a link then you think

AHL next year or two? I highly highly doubt it, I’d bet my house he makes the big club next year. Good shot, good wheels, good work ethic, Green will love him

Who cares if he’s the 3C? That sounds sweet to me if we have enough depth down the middle. I will admit I’m getting ahead of myself especially with Lind but when this team is ready for potential cup runs a shut down line of Lind Gaud Virt could be unreal

30 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Your analytical expectations of success from a 5th round pick are probably statistically spot on. The mighty 'nucks have had somewhat successful moments via the 5th round. Without going too far back. Adrian Aucoin,Gino Odjick, Scott Walker, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Brown ( the good one ) and more recently, Frank ( asset management ) Corrado, Gustav Forsling and current 'nuck Ben Hutton. I haven't done the math, but, if this falls in the 5%-15% success zone, I'm a happy 'nuck fan.

37 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I prefer to ignore the fact he was a 5th round pick and focus more on the fact that he is currently leading the NCAA in scoring and how that might translate to having a successful NHL career. If you compare Gaudette to the NCAA leading scorer for the past 5 seasons you will find the following:

2016/17 season - Zach Aston-Reese

2015/16 season - Kyle Connor

2014/15 season - Jack Eichel

2013/14 season - Johnny Gaudreau

2012/13 season - Rylan Schwartz

Three of those 5, not only made the NHL as regulars, but are actually stars in the league. If Gaudette can even be 75% of the players that Connor, Eichel and Gaudreau have proven to be I will view that as a huge success for the Canucks. But I'm just an optimist by nature perhaps?.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Your analytical expectations of success from a 5th round pick are probably statistically spot on. The mighty 'nucks have had somewhat successful moments via the 5th round. Without going too far back. Adrian Aucoin,Gino Odjick, Scott Walker, Kevin Bieksa, Mike Brown ( the good one ) and more recently, Frank ( asset management ) Corrado, Gustav Forsling and current 'nuck Ben Hutton. I haven't done the math, but, if this falls in the 5%-15% success zone, I'm a happy 'nuck fan.

We probably had better luck with 9th round picks in Patrik Sundstrom and Jannik Hansen........likely why the NHL no longer has 9 rounds! B)

10 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I really appreciate your reports bud, truly.

What would your take be on his big potential. Are we being far to optimistic hoping he could turn to out to be a top 6 player? I know it's a tough question but it seems you have seen him play more then many here.

Not SID but he looks pretty similar to Kesler (and his '3C ceiling') at the same age...but with far better offensive acumen. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

I really appreciate your reports bud, truly.

What would your take be on his big potential. Are we being far to optimistic hoping he could turn to out to be a top 6 player? I know it's a tough question but it seems you have seen him play more then many here.

46 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not SID but he looks pretty similar to Kesler (and his '3C ceiling') at the same age...but with far better offensive acumen. 

Yeah, that’s about where I’d put him right now. We shouldn’t expect prime Kesler (and nobody really expected Kesler to become Kesler). But it’s fair to project Gaudette becoming a similar level 3rd liner to early Ryan Kesler. Maybe not quite as strong as a shutdown/defensive centre, but with a little more upside as a PP option (again, talking early Kesler here because prime Kesler was a power play monster).

I think Adam needs to get stronger and learn some of the finer defensive points to really match Kesler as a two-way center.

Also needs to get maybe a bit meaner to match early Kesler’s overall effectiveness.

But I’d say that, as an offensive threat, and specifically as a PP option, he’s ahead of where Kesler was as a young player. Kes really worked on his shot as a pro and managed to break through the offensive ceiling people pegged for him. Adam seems to need less work in that area, and could be more dangerous offensively than Kesler was early on.

On the other side of the coin, I think Kesler had a stronger defensive game than Gaudette will at the same age. But I do think Adam still has the potential to become a similarly effective shutdown player, he just needs to put in some work.

So Kesler is a great example for the upside. If everything goes well, Gaudette develops into that kind of player.

And early Kesler is a fair expectation for what kind of pro Gaudette becomes at the start of his career. 

Prime Kesler will require Gaudette continues to develop in the pro ranks along a similar trajectory to what we’ve seen already. That’s the “dream” level result for this kid. Not something we should necessarily expect to happen, but a reasonable “ceiling” for him.

So probably he goes pro and either steps directly into the NHL as a bottom-6 guy with maybe some extra minutes on special teams, or goes to the AHL for a year, and then grabs a bottom of the lineup NHL spot and works his way up. I’d expect him to eventually become a solid 3rd liner, a good 2nd unit PP option, and play some PK.

Where he goes from there will be the really interesting part for me. 

I definitely can envision him becoming a rock solid, two-way, #2C who plays tough matchups at evens, and also puts up great numbers, largely on the strength of his PP contributions. Which is basically prime level Ryan Kesler. But I don’t want to hang those kinds of expectations on the kid because there’s a lot of work to be done to get him from the player he is now to that kind of player, and plenty of places along the way where he might still fail to measure up.

So, for right now, I project him as a bottom-6 NHL forward, with really good helping of extra upside.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Hes nhl ready today. If you don’t believe me go ahead and watch him.....easier to get a link then you think

AHL next year or two? I highly highly doubt it, I’d bet my house he makes the big club next year. Good shot, good wheels, good work ethic, Green will love him

Just as it was obvious Brock was an NHL player from his first NHL game (indeed, first period) against Minnesota, Adam gave the same impression in the summer game, regardless of the level of competition.

5 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Just as it was obvious Brock was an NHL player from his first NHL game (indeed, first period) against Minnesota, Adam gave the same impression in the summer game, regardless of the level of competition.

Absolutely. I’ve had too many debates with friends saying “well it was prospect game and he’s older”......he dominated and as much as I love love ep, gaudette dominated him when they were head to head

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, manroth19 said:

Absolutely. I’ve had too many debates with friends saying “well it was prospect game and he’s older”......he dominated and as much as I love love ep, gaudette dominated him when they were head to head

Agreed, the three dominating players at the prospect game: Boeser, Gaudette, and McEwan.  For a first year guy, the undrafted McEwan is doing well in Utica -  he is running at about a point every two games - good for an AHL rookie.  I thought Gaudette and McEwan were the most impressive.  McEwan was physically dominating, and Gaudette just seemed to leap into the attack in another gear.