The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Wouldn't they have to wait until their NHL team loses the rights to them? Isn't that like 21? How many 21 year olds are even in the draft? I am not entirely sure on the rules regarding CHL players not signing with their NHL team. I assume they can't re-enter the draft at 19, since their NHL team still has their rights. 

Yeah, it's more than one year for sure. Not exactly sure on the timeline either. But the NCAA guys are going 4 years between the draft and free agency, waiting until they're 22.

Edited by MattJVD

22 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

It's not really just a college loophole though, is it? Any prospect can opt not to sign an ELC with the team who drafts him. They would re-enter the draft in non-NCAA cases, but they can opt to not sign with the next team that drafts them too. What's the difference between the NCAA and a CHLer not signing, then going to Europe until the expiration of exculsive rights?

I feel in all cases if you draft a player you should get there rights till there either 27 or 8 years playing for your organization 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, it's more than one year for sure. Not exactly sure on the timeline either. But the NCAA guys are going 4 years between the draft and free agency, waiting until they're 22.

Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college. If a player is drafted a second time, they can not reenter the draft. If a player has entered the draft twice and not been selected, they then become free agents regardless of age. A non-North American player can not be signed unless they are drafted first.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Signability: If a player is not drafted by age of 20, that player becomes an unrestricted free agent. A player not signed by drafted team within two years can reenter draft, assuming they are still eligible, and if they are not eligible, will become unrestricted an free agent. A team has the rights of an NCAA player until 30 days after the player leaves the college. If a player is drafted a second time, they can not reenter the draft. If a player has entered the draft twice and not been selected, they then become free agents regardless of age. A non-North American player can not be signed unless they are drafted first.

Thanks for the details, Mr Blight!

So, if I understand that correctly: If a drafted CHLer is not signed in two years they either A: reenter the draft if age < 20 or B: become a UFA if age > or = 20.

If a player still does not sign within two years of the second draft they become a UFA.

So UFA eligability after the 2nd draft would happen at the same age as a player leaving college (if they stay the full 4 years). So it's not really a unique loophole to NCAA players, anyone can do it.

31 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

So, if I understand that correctly: If a drafted CHLer is not signed in two years they either A: reenter the draft if age < 20 or B: become a UFA if age > or = 20.

If a player still does not sign within two years of the second draft they become a UFA.

So UFA eligability after the 2nd draft would happen at the same age as a player leaving college (if they stay the full 4 years). So it's not really a unique loophole to NCAA players, anyone can do it.

Mr??????? You're welcome.

Essentially you are correct but you may want to look at the attached CBA covering draft rules starting at page 16.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

After further thought, there is a difference in that the NCAA player's rights are owned by the same team for 4 years. However, the CHL plater is only committed for 2 years to the team drafting him and could conceivably play with a different NHL team by his 3rd year (assuming a different team drafted him in his 2nd draft.

Edited by Rick Blight

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

25 minutes ago, MattJVD said:

This is consistent with my understanding. For good prospects (guys good enough to be drafted the first time they are eligible for the draft), they have to wait until after their draft+4 year to become a UFA. That applies to both NCAA and non-NCAA players. I would expect that this near-equivalence is intentional.

The difference is that there are quite a few good prospects in the NCAA who want to finish a degree at university so are willing to wait out those 4 years. For non-NCAA players, waiting around for 4 years is a big cost without any compensating benefit. So it is very rare. Not only do they delay their initial NHL signing bonus but they also have to sign entry-level contracts when they do sign (as do NCAA free agents). That delays the time they get their first RFA contract and can impose big costs there as well.

I personally don't have a problem with these loopholes. If a player really wants to pick where he goes and is willing to give up a lot to be able to make that choice, I think that is okay. It does not happen often enough to have much impact.

16 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

JB has said it since day one - he wants players in this franchise with character - this interview does nothing if not support that. 

"Other teams passed on me through 5 rounds - this team saw something in me and had faith in me."  That's character. 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

13 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Hahaha, am I wrong in thinking Rick is a first name and Blight is a last name?

13 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

No, I just always thought of my dad being the MR.

Sorry to go off topic. Last night was mental health awareness night. RR #37 being foremost in everyone's thoughts. My question: Did Rick Blight ( and Gary Lupul ) not also become the victim/s of this overwhelming problem ?

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

Sorry to go off topic. Last night was mental health awareness night. RR #37 being foremost in everyone's thoughts. My question: Did Rick Blight ( and Gary Lupul ) not also become the victim/s of this overwhelming problem ?

Yes, they supposedly both took their own lives.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, LegionOfDoom said:

They need to stop the college loophole anyways. It only benefits desirable locations which makes it unfair. I mean maybe make a team surrender a first to the franchise They snaked even, or if they really don’t wanna play where they were drafted simply request a trade.

Add a simple clause that, for players entering College, the team that drafts them, retains their rights until the player turns 23 or 24, unless the team has made no attempt to sign that player.

Not worried about it with Gaudette, but that should pretty much clean it up around the league.

Does not happen as much as many people on this board seem to think though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Add a simple clause that, for players entering College, the team that drafts them, retains their rights until the player turns 23 or 24, unless the team has made no attempt to sign that player.

Not worried about it with Gaudette, but that should pretty much clean it up around the league.

No but def seems like there is atleast a B prospect every year that jumps ship, For instance will butcher would do wonders for Colorado right now last year vesey could have been depth on that preds playoff run just doesn’t seem fair both teams showed they wanted to keep them 

4 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

They could also put in a clause that makes the signing team give up a draft pick to the team loosing out on there prospect. This would solve some issues as well

Looks like Gaudette’s game (7pm EST) will be free streaming on the GoNU portal.

I’ll come back and update when the direct link is available.

EDIT: ESPN3 broadcast so stream won’t be available (unless you go to the dark side and use one of those services I’m not allowed to link here)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎25 at 2:40 PM, LegionOfDoom said:

I feel in all cases if you draft a player you should get there rights till there either 27 or 8 years playing for your organization 

Yeh the new system is for the players who are often spoiled %$$#. Teams should own their rights until they trade them away. Losing players to free agency should have a cost of a draft pick based on Salary. How many players walked away from teams needing assets to rebuild. ie Mats Sundin. Vancouver offers him ridiculous money they should have had to give up a 2nd round asset. It would keep it honest anyways. Teams overpay to build in free agency and teams suffer just as bad when they lose players. 

55 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

They could also put in a clause that makes the signing team give up a draft pick to the team loosing out on there prospect. This would solve some issues as well

Possibly, but overall, teams have good opportunity to sign guys unless there is a real disconnect between prospect and team. If most of these guys had to wait till 24, maybe even 25 to sign their first deal, I'm pretty sure the problem would pretty much go away.

• Upvote 1