The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Adam Gaudette | #96 | C

NHL'er

52 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I love Adam Gaudette as a prospect and think he will have a long NHL career but people need to lower their expectations of him. Almost every professional scout and talent advisor thinks he will be a middle six forward not a top line guy and many have gone on record saying he probably wont be able to step right into that spot at the NHL level. Including his coach, who thinks he needs time in the AHL, and Benning who think he may be able to start next season on the fourth line.

Of course though lets expect him to be the next Boeser..

This is the right call. It is not even obvious that signing him now is the best thing to do. Of course, the one good thing about signing him now is that it would take away any fear that plays out his 4th year in the NCAA and becomes a free agent. But that does not seem particularly likely. So I see no problem with signing him in the summer.

Still, if the Canucks give him a look on the big team now, or in Utica, I admit that I will be very interested.

Edited by JamesB

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

I love Adam Gaudette as a prospect and think he will have a long NHL career but people need to lower their expectations of him. Almost every professional scout and talent advisor thinks he will be a middle six forward not a top line guy

Don't think I've heard anyone suggest he's projected to be a first-liner.  He's always been a high-energy player with under-rated skill, and the former will help him secure a spot right away.  Like in the NCAA, the latter might take a bit of time to show, but it's there.

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

If gaudette comes in this season and proves he belongs, even better he deserves top 6 mins I think it’s inevitable that Elias and Adam Jonathan take the twins spots 

Fixed B)

Gaudette will carve out his own niche.

• Upvote 2

still unsure what to make of Adam Gaudette and what exactly the type of player he is.

He has been pegged a "two way centre" but I feel there are different flips to that term.

Anze, Kopitar, Bo Horvat, Ryan O'Reilly were pegged as two way centres, but have seemed to have developed a more offensive inclination over the defensive side of things.  Not that they are bad defensively, they just aren't stellar compared to the likes of Ryan Kesler, Patrice Bergeron, or Jonathan Toews.  I feel these three are excellent defensively and could be offensively dominant but they choose to hone in defensively thus their offensive stats aren't considered offensive juggernauts. 

Me wonders where Gaudette falls in that spectrum as a two way centre.  Will he lean towards more of an offensive role, or will be lean towards being more or a defensive two way centre.  Haven't seen enough of him to determine what kind of player he is beyond is stellar offensive highlights.  Does anyone have a good indication what his game is like?  

3 hours ago, wildcam said:

I agree Gaudette  will sign his pro contract and play last 8 games of the season, he has his mind made up...

I say Jersey #28 or # 7...

Exciting future for this guy....

Bourdon? My guess is #38.

Tells something of this season when Gaudettes playing number is the most exciting thing. -_-

5 hours ago, JamesB said:

This is the right call. It is not even obvious that signing him now is the best thing to do. Of course, the one good thing about signing him now is that it would take away any fear that plays out his 4th year in the NCAA and becomes a free agent. But that does not seem particularly likely. So I see no problem with signing him in the summer.

Still, if the Canucks give him a look on the big team now, or in Utica, I admit that I will be very interested.

I think it would be good if he went to Utica if they are in the playoffs. Make up for him losing out with his college.

Is it too late to qualify for the AHL playoffs? If so then bring him up here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

Just to clarify how this terminology works in the US:

freshman = 1st year

sophomore = 2nd year

junior = 3rd year

senior = 4th year

So Gaudette is a junior, correct?

Just finished his Junior year yup

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DallasDrake said:

Bourdon? My guess is #38.

Tells something of this season when Gaudettes playing number is the most exciting thing. -_-

About time to use #7 for someone who's expected to be an impact player since..... our very own Brendan Morrison!!

2 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

About time to use #7 for someone who's expected to be an impact player since..... our very own Brendan Morrison!!

Vey and Booth didn't fair to well with that #. I do like #7 for a forward though. Did Gaudette wear #8 prior to playing College hockey also?