The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks will likely bargain-bin shop

NHL'er

Hoff got offered a big pay day and he took it, having to live up to those expectations. His type of game is definitely something this team needs and the price will be right. Both him and the Sedins benefited quite well from each other. It's not a coincidence they all had career highs playing together. Sure, they were in their prime years, but giving the Sedins a "rush" element to their game is extremely vital. Unless we wanna throw Jordan Subban or Ben Hutton to the wolves this season, anyone got any better ideas?

Heard Benning say w e want to add a pucking d man if we can via free agency...

Anyone know who in free agency fits this? Mike Green is the only one I can think of off the of my head;

oh wait.. ernhoff. I see its been discussed already. who else is a maybe surprise option?

With Hammer, Edler, Sbisa manning the left side it would make no sense to acquire another left handed defenseman unless solely for depth purposes. In the past we've seen how horribly things have gone wrong when we switched Sbisa and Edler playing the right side.

Only makes sense for the Canucks to get a cheap defenceman for the right side.
Franson is a possibility but Benning would need to wiggle some capspace.

The Canucks seem to want to stay mediocre.

Therefore, I believe that they traded Bieksa for space to sign Cody Franson to a overpriced contract.

Won't help the franchise longterm but thats why I think they will do. Not much of what they do makes sense these days.

Actually, if you remove both 'sentiment' and typical Canucks fans 'overvaluing' their own assets, pretty much every move JB has made thus far makes sense.

Actually, if you remove both 'sentiment' and typical Canucks fans 'overvaluing' their own assets, pretty much every move JB has made thus far makes sense.

Agreed. I like what Benning has done so far. You can tell the different philosophy that he has compared to MG. MG looked for cheaper contracts to try and stack a roster with vets, but in order to do so he had to dole out NTC left, right and centre; JB pays fair market price for players he can trade, should he ever feel the need is there.

It pains me when fans cry fowl every time JB & Co make any moves. I mean, we're finally going to see a youth movement! And, tbh, I think we are still going to be competitive next year. People underestimate the power of youth in a lineup (speed, energy, etc). So stoked about training camp and beyond!

Bargain bin shop? GMJB trying to temper expectations and backlash from fans if he doesn't make any changes after a failed draft.

Loved our draft week!! Got prospects and picks for Lack and Bieksa both of whom are not part of the core.

Then we drafted a game cha get like Boesser !!

If we trade Corrado today like I expect us too, then I think JB goes after Franson.

Otherwise we will look to sign a depth Centreman

We're becoming the Sabres sadly, but on the bright side they just drafted Eichel. Maybe we'll get our own 1c, or 1d or both by sucking for a couple of years..

Dream on. Instead of being in a holding pattern, the Sabres are very young and are accelerating their near-ish future rise to contention.

The Canucks, as they are now, are good enough to just squeak into the playoffs, so I wouldn't count too much on grabbing game changing prospects in the draft unless Benning and his staff incredibly luck out and get a shining gem in the rough around the 20th pick.

Loved our draft week!! Got prospects and picks for Lack and Bieksa both of whom are not part of the core.

Then we drafted a game cha get like Boesser !!

If we trade Corrado today like I expect us too, then I think JB goes after Franson.

Otherwise we will look to sign a depth Centreman

why would we trade Corrado?

Dream on. Instead of being in a holding pattern, the Sabres are very young and are accelerating their near-ish future rise to contention.

The Canucks, as they are now, are good enough to just squeak into the playoffs, so I wouldn't count too much on grabbing game changing prospects in the draft unless Benning and his staff incredibly luck out and get a shining gem in the rough around the 20th pick.

I think he must have meant in the Darcy Days.... Sabres are on a mission this year...

Same with the oilers in the west.

The Sabres, like Arizona, gutted their team. As long as the Sedans are here the Canucks are in no way blown up or on a full bottom-up rebuild.

Ideally the youth they cycle in will bring energy and enthusiasm, so despite growing pains the team may well improve during the transition.

The Sabres, like Arizona, gutted their team. As long as the Sedans are here the Canucks are in no way blown up or on a full bottom-up rebuild.

Ideally the youth they cycle in will bring energy and enthusiasm, so despite growing pains the team may well improve during the transition.

Last season the Twins actually made attempts to ramp their physical play and actually shot the puck on net more. The question is whether the Twins can be effective 2nd line players. I do not think their

d-zone coverage is good enough for 3rd line play.

What value is gained by keeping the Sedins until their contract expires? Such unique players, two of

the best to wear the uniform. They are marketing gold. There are business reasons for them to stay along

with hockey reasons.

As their careers wind down a question of whether they could be moved has to be raised. It might be their

desire to move to a contender to take their last shot at a CUP. Alfie moved to the Wings but ended up a

Senator which was as it should be. That might happen with the Twins and who would blame them.

Benning might try for Franson but he wants to much money IMHO. Another tack might be

starting the season with what he has and trade into the March 2016 deadline. Again my hope is that Markstrom shines and Miller is moved. Vrbata, Burrows, Higgins, Hamhuis

and Edler are all tradeable next spring.

Agreed. I like what Benning has done so far. You can tell the different philosophy that he has compared to MG. MG looked for cheaper contracts to try and stack a roster with vets, but in order to do so he had to dole out NTC left, right and centre; JB pays fair market price for players he can trade, should he ever feel the need is there.

It pains me when fans cry fowl every time JB & Co make any moves. I mean, we're finally going to see a youth movement! And, tbh, I think we are still going to be competitive next year. People underestimate the power of youth in a lineup (speed, energy, etc). So stoked about training camp and beyond!

Agreed. At forward anyway. At least we've headed in the right direction there.

As of now though our D is largely small and slow with a poor transition game, questionable ability to defend and questionable ability to add offense. We'll see how Benning addresses that today and the rest of the summer.

I also have maintained from day one that the Miller signing, as it is, was a mistake.

So it's not ALL rosy.

Archived