The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What players will the Canucks target on July 1st?

duncan44

The Canucks have about 4 million left in cap space. They have 18 NHL players under contract. So they need 5 more players to reach the 23 man limit. Right now they have about 800K per spot.

The 5 additional spots need to include RFAs Baertschi, Clendening, and Corrado, all of whom will be at least 800K -- although not much more.

Right now the Canucks basically have negative cap space. They might not even be able to carry a full 23 man roster.

Obviously they will try to trade Bieksa which would give them breathing room.

But the cap is really hurting the Canucks. This is the effect of overpaying Miller and Sbisa (and, to a lesser extent, Dorsett and Tanev),

Didn't overpay for any of them, fair market value

The Canucks will forever be a cap team. If it turns out that there is room after their current players re-signed, and perhaps a trade is made to create cap space, then you can relax in knowing that another player or two will be signed to fill up the remaining cap space.

The more players that have jobs, the better the work environment the NHL is as a whole, and the Canucks, being leaders in the NHL, has set out to maximize player job opportunites available for decades.

As change is coming, the movement towards young players has been progressing. but the fans need to understand that the entire NHL, not just the Canucks, IS A BUSINESS. It is a priority to make sure that all the players that can play in the NHL, DO play in the NHL. This may mean that some young players will have their jobs apparently taken by other young players who need an opportunity on another team, or that teams will have to trade or simply lose players to teams with better opportunities for them.

Win or lose, the Canucks will continue to be leaders in this regard.

players i could see the canucks in the mix for: kyle brodziak, jim slater, gregory campbell, scottie upshall, joel ward, sean bergenheim, curtis glencross, ryan wilson, eric fehr, jonas gustavsson, viktor fasth, thomas greiss, richard bachman, anders lindback, tom mccollum, jhonas enroth.

Gotta think they need a splash for season ticket sales with fanbase at the lowest morale and interest level post draft (dangerously hovering at Keenan era ratings)...

Franson - 4 year 5 mill per (replaces Weber as pp guy)

Stewart - 3 years (overpay for size we desperately need now)

Richardson 2 years

Trade of some sort (bieksa and Higgins?) and a deal for An Ahl to NHL d prospect but stuck on a teams depth chart

players i could see the canucks in the mix for: kyle brodziak, jim slater, gregory campbell, scottie upshall, joel ward, sean bergenheim, curtis glencross, ryan wilson, eric fehr, jonas gustavsson, viktor fasth, thomas greiss, richard bachman, anders lindback, tom mccollum, jhonas enroth.

No thanks besides an AHL G

LOL! Yes but SHAWN MATTHIAS Gone.

CHRIS HIGGINS Could be moved?

BRAD RICHARDSON will be gone.

JANNIK HANSEN Do they keep him?

LINDEN VEY Could be outplayed by a young guy at camp.

BRANDON MCMILLAN Gone.

YANNICK WEBER Will be gone.

KEVIN BIEKSA Will be gone.

We will have Room for young guys and to Sign one or two guys on July 1st.

Vey is a young guy

also you need veterans idc how much you want young players you can't have a full team of rookies

Could Thatcher Demko Move from Boston College to Utica to split with Cannata?

Probably not, but you never know.

I'd trade Bieksa for the right value. If SJ want him, they're going to have to give us a 2nd and a 3rd to work with us because they are our division rivals. Then I'd get Franson, who is a good offensive defenseman who isn't a complete liability at defending.

Mike Santorelli is my first choice.

• Can play LW, C, and RW without losing a step. Can also play anywhere from second line, to the 4th line, and occasionally can fill it for top line minutes.
  • Great man in the dot. Bo Horvat is out only good face-off man. Santorelli gives us a second option, who is also right handed. (Which by the way, out of Henrik, Bo, Bonino, and Vey, our only right handed center is Vey.)
  • Great at killing penalties, and can be effective on a second or third PP unit.
  • He's a hustle sparkplug, similar to our very own Burrows.
  • Will likely be cheap, due to his, as well as Fransons, abysmal stint in Nashville.
  • Hometown talent. Not only is this big because it's awesome to have hometown talent, but we saw first hand just how much it elevated his game being here close to family. Plus, we know he wants to be here. He will come into work every day and put in as much effort as anyone to play for the team he grew up idolizing.
  • He already had success here. Although the Vrbata signing was great, he would have been a great signing after.

There is really little to no reason why a deal with Santo can't get done. The man wants to play here and has little leverage to demand a high paying contract. I could see us locking him up for 3 years at 2.5 million easy. Most free agents will get overpaid, and with the large contracts we have in the Sedins, Vrbata, Edler, and Miller, I would rather not add another huge one. He simply gives by far the most bang for the buck.

Gotta think they need a splash for season ticket sales with fanbase at the lowest morale and interest level post draft (dangerously hovering at Keenan era ratings)...

Franson - 4 year 5 mill per (replaces Weber as pp guy)

Stewart - 3 years (overpay for size we desperately need now)

Richardson 2 years

Trade of some sort (bieksa and Higgins?) and a deal for An Ahl to NHL d prospect but stuck on a teams depth chart

It would be sweet if they could get Stewart!

The Canucks have about 4 million left in cap space. They have 18 NHL players under contract. So they need 5 more players to reach the 23 man limit. Right now they have about 800K per spot.

The 5 additional spots need to include RFAs Baertschi, Clendening, and Corrado, all of whom will be at least 800K -- although not much more.

Right now the Canucks basically have negative cap space. They might not even be able to carry a full 23 man roster.

Obviously they will try to trade Bieksa which would give them breathing room.

But the cap is really hurting the Canucks. This is the effect of overpaying Miller and Sbisa (and, to a lesser extent, Dorsett and Tanev),

This guy is on to something.

• Can play LW, C, and RW without losing a step. Can also play anywhere from second line, to the 4th line, and occasionally can fill it for top line minutes.
  • Great man in the dot. Bo Horvat is out only good face-off man. Santorelli gives us a second option, who is also right handed. (Which by the way, out of Henrik, Bo, Bonino, and Vey, our only right handed center is Vey.)
  • Great at killing penalties, and can be effective on a second or third PP unit.
  • Will likely be cheap, due to his, as well as Fransons, abysmal stint in Nashville.
  • Hometown talent. Not only is this big because it's awesome to have hometown talent, but we saw first hand just how much it elevated his game being here close to family. Plus, we know he wants to be here. He will come into work every day and put in as much effort as anyone to play for the team he grew up idolizing.
  • He already had success here. Although the Vrbata signing was great, he would have been a great signing after.

There is really little to no reason why a deal with Santo can't get done. The man wants to play here and has little leverage to demand a high paying contract. I could see us locking him up for 3 years at 2.5 million easy. Most free agents will get overpaid, and with the large contracts we have in the Sedins, Vrbata, Edler, and Miller, I would rather not add another huge one. He simply gives by far the most bang for the buck.

Santorelli would be a sound pickup. He was having a banner year before that bastard Hanzal attacked him.

Benning was a dumb dumb for not resigning him.

As Smithers_joe stated we will go after Matt Bartkowski, he can be signed cheap and is the type of player benning likes: young, a few years of experience and ready for the big show. Early on in the season there were rumours of us picking him up in a deal for Kass, so I would bet on bart coming to town for cheap.

No thanks. No more plugs/patches thank you very much. If we need a player like him we could use one of the kids in the minors.

Would love to see Franson and Lappy/ Santo for our 4th-line. And Zepp/ LaBarbera for the AHL-Starter.

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Burrows - Bonino - Kassian
Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen
Dorsett - Lappy/ Santo - Kenins

Vey, Virtanen

Hamhuis - Franson

Edler - Tanev
Sbisa - Corrado

Clendening, Pedan

Miller

Markstrom

Zepp/ LaBarbera

My potential trade-objects would be.. Higgins, Juicy, Sbisa, Vrbata

Sign Manny as a face off coach. This team is brutal in the circle.

Franson would be an upgrade over both hamhuis and bieska.

Move them both for picks.

Franson is not better than Hamhuis, he's just younger

Archived