The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Alex Semin to Montreal, 1 x 1M

AriGold

Good signing. Semin is a good player, he was stuck on a crappy team in Carolina. The Stall brothers didn't do much better than Semin but they rarely get blamed. I think he'll have a good season. I'll be cheering for him.

Russian hockey players love MTL for some reason.

Good signing. Semin is a good player, he was stuck on a crappy team in Carolina. The Stall brothers didn't do much better than Semin but they rarely get blamed. I think he'll have a good season. I'll be cheering for him.

Russian hockey players love MTL for some reason.

Sure Carolina was bad however, that doesn't excuse him sucking on a good Washington team.

Lazy player is lazy.

Sure Carolina was bad however, that doesn't excuse him sucking on a good Washington team.

Lazy player is lazy.

Not sure if you watched him on the Caps, he didn't suck at all. I watched most of the games he played in while in WSH. He was a very good 2 way player who made his team mates better. He had similar advanced stat numbers to Parise in their UFA year. Semin is one of those guys who for some reason is always the whipping boy.

I read a great article on it a cpl of years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is, I think I might have posted it on here when it came out a cpl of years ago. Any ways good read if interested.

http://hockeyanalysis.com/2012/06/15/alexander-semin-and-elite-unrestricted-free-agent/

Here's a quote

Maybe the most impressive thing I can point out about Semin is his overall 2-way performance relative to the rest of the league. Of 125 players with 2500 5v5 zone start adjusted minutes of ice time over the past 3 season, Semin ranks 5th in GF20 (trailing only D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Toews, and Stamkos) and he ranks13th in GA20. It truly is a rare combination (for example, the Sedin’s rank 28 and 38 in GA20, Toews 60th and Stamkos 105th).

Not sure if you watched him on the Caps, he didn't suck at all. I watched most of the games he played in while in WSH. He was a very good player who made his team mates better. Semin is one of those guys who for some reason is always the whipping boy. I read a great article on it a cpl of years ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Actually I did watch him his final couple seasons in Washington he was lazy and was invisible in the playoffs minus 2 seasons.

He got paid he stopped trying, he's a flake, and why I say he sucked in Washington is because when you sign for elite star player money and put up second line numbers you suck because you're not earning your pay.

He got paid he stopped trying.

Actually I did watch him his final couple seasons in Washington he was lazy and was invisible in the playoffs minus 2 seasons.

He got paid he stopped trying, he's a flake, and why I say he sucked in Washington is because when you sign for elite star player money and put up second line numbers you suck because you're not earning your pay.

He got paid he stopped trying.

Numbers don't lie. People can have biases but numbers don't .

Semin was one of the best 2 way offensive players in the league on the Caps.

Here it is, I think I might have posted it on here when it came out a cpl of years ago. Any ways good read if interested.

http://hockeyanalysi...ted-free-agent/

Here's a quote

Maybe the most impressive thing I can point out about Semin is his overall 2-way performance relative to the rest of the league. Of 125 players with 2500 5v5 zone start adjusted minutes of ice time over the past 3 season, Semin ranks 5th in GF20 (trailing only D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Toews, and Stamkos) and he ranks13th in GA20. It truly is a rare combination (for example, the Sedin’s rank 28 and 38 in GA20, Toews 60th and Stamkos 105th).

Numbers don't lie. People can have biases but numbers don't .

Semin was one of the best 2 way offensive players in the league on the Caps.

http://hockeyanalysi...ted-free-agent/

Here's a quote

Maybe the most impressive thing I can point out about Semin is his overall 2-way performance relative to the rest of the league. Of 125 players with 2500 5v5 zone start adjusted minutes of ice time over the past 3 season, Semin ranks 5th in GF20 (trailing only D. Sedin, H. Sedin, Toews, and Stamkos) and he ranks13th in GA20. It truly is a rare combination (for example, the Sedins rank 28 and 38 in GA20, Toews 60th and Stamkos 105th).

And then he no shows in the playoffs and drops to second/third line production after getting paid.

Say what you want, Montreal is the exact atmosphere this guy wants and needs. He is a high profile player who will thrive in a high profile environment.

Can you see him potting 30+ this season? I can. he will want and need a enw longer term contract after and Montreal is the place for him to do it in

^^ Below is ur answer.

Carolina gave him a bridge deal, played great, got his contract and then became the hibernating Russian bear again!

If he does well? Another 1 year deal, low base, heavy incentives to get the value up...

Semin seems to be at his best when it's his contract year, so a 1 year deal is perfect for MTL

Low Risk, Low Reward.

Nashville has scored on these type of risk reward signings with Ribero and now Hodgson (I think he will play well this year).

Semin will be more of a Vinny Lecavilier type reward. Even at 1 million the Habs will be looking to buy him out half way through the season.

I expect Kassian to work out as a star, but Semin will flop! My 2 cents.

Montreal fans are going to savage this guy unless he changes his work ethic.

Ray Ferraro called Semin 'the laziest hockey player Ive ever seen..he doesn't even break a sweat..".......Still,..I think this is a smart move by Bergevin....The Habs desperately need a goalscorer and Semin has the tools..A change of scenery into a hockey market could reignite his passion for the game.

My only problem with this deal is if Semin has a good year. You would hope Montreal would be smart enough not to resign him if he did. The guy just does not play consistently and signing him to a longer term would not be wise.

Other than that, it's a good deal for Montreal. Low risk, high reward.

Habs fans will have Semin on the tips of their tongues for the next 12 months.

I'm sure they will be alright with this as most of the Habs fan base are Semin lovers. Semin's "in your face" attitude will be "right up their alley".

No but seriously though, great deal for the Habs if they have a vacant roster spot for him. There truly is no risk at 1.1 million for one year and a ton of potential reward. I'm also pretty sure Semin is well aware that this is a "make or break" contract for himself and he will work hard to prove his naysayers wrong.

Lazy player is lazy.

408 points in 469 games sucks to you? You must have absurdly high expectations if anyone who isn't a super-elite player is garbage.

Absolutely hilarious that Semin gets plucked for close to league minimum on a one-year deal while we have Derek ****ing Dorsett at twice the price for 4 more years. But, you know, gotta overpay for "culture carriers" and nonsense like that.

Low Risk, Low Reward.

Nashville has scored on these type of risk reward signings with Ribero and now Hodgson (I think he will play well this year).

Semin will be more of a Vinny Lecavilier type reward. Even at 1 million the Habs will be looking to buy him out half way through the season.

I expect Kassian to work out as a star, but Semin will flop! My 2 cents.

Do you really know that little about hockey that you think teams can buy out players mid season? This is a 1 year deal. There is zero downside to this deal for Montreal. If he regains his form then they've addressed their scoring woes at a very inexpensive price. If he doesn't then they can bury him and most of his cap hit in the minors and walk away at the end of the season.

Archived