Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

19 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So in essence,

Pay your bills

Hold no essential debt

Lock in where you can

Don't spend frivolously if it won't pay you back

Recessions make millionaires and there's going to be some ruinous opportunity soon.

All that has been great advice since the dawn of time. Debt is a form of self induced slavery. Avoid it at all costs.

13 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Meanwhile people like me who save their money get .25 percent on term deposits.

When my mother was relying on interest from her savings to survive before she died interest rates were around 6 percent.

Now she would be unable to live without eating into her hard earned savings.

Freakin joke.

System rewards people who haven't got the money to buy $@#$ they don't need. 

The days of 6% savings rates are long over. The game has changed.

11 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I wonder what's going to happen to loan delinquency rates when everyone has to renew their mortgages in a higher rate environment.

Felt so relieved when I locked in a 5-year fixed earlier this summer. 

Loan delinquency rates would soar. Probably resulting in a flood of homes on the market depressing prices. Or you'd see the government relax foreign buyer rules and let foreigners flood into the market to keep prices artificially high.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:11 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Grabbed some this morning. Made ten points on the last piece.

Had DWAC at $13 yesterday. Makes me want to puke thinking about what I left on the table.

Sold mine at $98, still makes me queasy that I invested in something that Trump had hand in.

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Sold mine at $98, still makes me queasy that I invested in something that Trump had hand in.

If it makes you feel any better you might have dumped your overvalued shares to Majorie Taylor Green.

Marjorie Taylor Greene invested as much as $50,000 in the Trump SPAC before its stock plunged

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/27/investing/trump-spac-dwac-marjorie-taylor-greene/index.html

:lol:

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

If it makes you feel any better you might have dumped your overvalued shares to Majorie Taylor Green.

Marjorie Taylor Greene invested as much as $50,000 in the Trump SPAC before its stock plunged

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/27/investing/trump-spac-dwac-marjorie-taylor-greene/index.html

:lol:

I hope, I can’t stand that woman.
She should have played a character on planet of the apes, sans the mask of course.

• Cheers 1

Just now, CBH1926 said:

I hope, I can’t stand that woman.
She should have played a character on planet of the apes, sans the mask of course.

I hope they stuffed her at the halt price of $175. I think 1.75 million shares printed there in 1 shot so there's a chance. B)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

The days of 6% savings rates are long over. The game has changed.

Yeah.

Like I stated the system rewards people who don't have the money to buy ,$@#_ they don't need.

It doesn't reward people who save their money.

It has created a house of cards that is going to come tumbling down sooner or later.

I hope you know how to grow your own food and have the resources to do so.

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

avis.jpg.4eca173b5f1cd1c9ee1ed210d1167364.jpg

Avis rental cars. This was crazy. Usually short squeezes don't include $20 billion dollars of pain.

OH dang I heard them talk about this on my podcast this afternoon.  

BBBY just had quite the squeeze too AH.

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Are there no rules against this in the SEC?

Apparently his brother sold a bunch of Tesla on Friday - which I would think the SEC would be interested in.

As for Elon's tweet - It's interesting because broadcasting his intentions is the opposite from pumping/dumping or insider trader. It's outsider trading lol. He will be selling his shares at a reduced price (presumably tesla drops this week). His brother made out like a bandit though.

The question becomes where does he put that money? He won't be holding cash and is somewhat anti-real estate.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Are there no rules against this in the SEC?

No, why would there be? His stock is not restricted in any way. So he's free to sell it whenever he wishes. If he's foolish enough to announce to the world or in this case to conduct a public poll and abide by it, so be it.

It's dumb, but not illegal.

40 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No, why would there be? His stock is not restricted in any way. So he's free to sell it whenever he wishes. If he's foolish enough to announce to the world or in this case to conduct a public poll and abide by it, so be it.

It's dumb, but not illegal.

Because he’s the person with the biggest influence on his companies stock price announcing well in advance that he will be selling.

I guess since he’s doing it publicly it’s not illegal but I would imagine it gives a lot of people a heads up that the price will be dropping.

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because he’s the person with the biggest influence on his companies stock price announcing well in advance that he will be selling.

I guess since he’s doing it publicly it’s not illegal but I would imagine it gives a lot of people a heads up that the price will be dropping.

15 days ago this stock was $800 and had a market cap of $800 billion. Now it's $1200+ and has a market cap of $1.2 trillion.

Though he sometimes behaves like one Elon is not a fool. He knows there's been no corporate developments in the last 15 days that justifies a $400 billion bump in market cap.

To put that gain into perspective the total market cap of Wal-Mart is $418 Billion, McDonalds $190 Billion, Exxon Mobile $275 Billion.

The market is awash in capital and there's a seemingly endless lineup of people who want to own that stock. I wonder how deep and long lived any selloff will be under those conditions.

7 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

15 days ago this stock was $800 and had a market cap of $800 billion. Now it's $1200+ and has a market cap of $1.2 trillion.

Though he sometimes behaves like one Elon is not a fool. He knows there's been no corporate developments in the last 15 days that justifies a $400 billion bump in market cap.

To put that gain into perspective the total market cap of Wal-Mart is $418 Billion, McDonalds $190 Billion, Exxon Mobile $275 Billion.

The market is awash in capital and there's a seemingly endless lineup of people who want to own that stock. I wonder how deep and long lived any selloff will be under those conditions.

A dip of 10% will get scooped pretty quickly by retail