The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

44 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

Is there a crypto thread? I used the search but this thread kept showing up.

Yep, it’s there somewhere.

Buy and hold some $kda, so house prices in Vancouver will become affordable ::D

7 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Average Canadian family now owes + $295,000 in government debt. Add that to your mortgage! Contrary to popular belief the Government cannot keep creating money to pay for their promises. We are in big trouble. 

How do we ( Canada) compare to other western countries?

Are we all in the same boat? 

On 1/1/2022 at 12:58 AM, AbbyNux said:

Is there a crypto thread? I used the search but this thread kept showing up.

the thread is called "the everything bitcoin thread" and it's almost below this thread. It's basically not only about bitcoin but also on the whole crypto space. Be careful, this market is extremely volatile. Bitcoin price sharply dropped from 69k to 43k over a period of 5-6 months. If you want to invest money in this space you have to be able to deal with this kind of volatility. I currently have six coins in my crypto portfolio and decided to invest in the conservative projects which have not only a high chance to survive the next bear market but also to skyrocket in the next bullrun.

On 1/6/2022 at 9:30 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

the thread is called "the everything bitcoin thread" and it's almost below this thread. It's basically not only about bitcoin but also on the whole crypto space. Be careful, this market is extremely volatile. Bitcoin price sharply dropped from 69k to 43k over a period of 5-6 months. If you want to invest money in this space you have to be able to deal with this kind of volatility. I currently have six coins in my crypto portfolio and decided to invest in the conservative projects which have not only a high chance to survive the next bear market but also to skyrocket in the next bullrun.

I suspect that crypto doesn’t survive a major recession. Markets have watched tech stocks grow for over a decade now. With no serious pullbacks there hasn’t been a very serious questioning of huge PE multiples. I’ll stick with my gold stocks.

Hey folks, 

I'm sorta back and looking to buy some Draftkings DKNG. Anybody have any thoughts ? The reversal will be due at some point.. I'm expecting a low sometime in early March when football is 1 month over and MLB spring training kicks off. 

I predict a ride from March-September NFL kickoff will be really good.

Any particular stock you think will rebound this year ?

Edit: Also Draftkings just became legal in NY on Saturday, meaning an additional 20M people can bet on the website.

Edited by AriGold

1 hour ago, AriGold said:

Hey folks, 

I'm sorta back and looking to buy some Draftkings DKNG. Anybody have any thoughts ? The reversal will be due at some point.. I'm expecting a low sometime in early March when football is 1 month over and MLB spring training kicks off. 

Edit: Also Draftkings just became legal in NY on Saturday, meaning an additional 20M people can bet on the website.

I am not as adventurous as you are Ari. My outlier stock this year is QIPT that supplies home monitoring equipment and monitoring in the American mid-West. I had better add my copper play which is CMMC. I suspect it gets taken out at some point.

5 hours ago, AriGold said:

Hey folks, 

I'm a mix of some conservative div plays because I will need the money in a year, some cash (~20%) + some long term holds (TSLA etc). Generally, I think companies with low amounts of debt and FCF are going to be the ones that handle the inevitable interest rate hikes the best. I think a lot of that negativity is being priced in at the moment.

Hopefully we get to a point this year when we deem omicron as one of the end variants, IF this happens I would expect a euphoria rally and a recovery of high quality small caps (which have been beaten up this year).

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm a mix of some conservative div plays because I will need the money in a year, some cash (~20%) + some long term holds (TSLA etc). Generally, I think companies with low amounts of debt and FCF are going to be the ones that handle the inevitable interest rate hikes the best. I think a lot of that negativity is being priced in at the moment.

Hopefully we get to a point this year when we deem omicron as one of the end variants, IF this happens I would expect a euphoria rally and a recovery of high quality small caps (which have been beaten up this year).

I see you have TSLA as a long term hold. Gutsy. I am looking at GM instead but haven’t moved yet. Still cheap with a P/E of 8. 
Staying long on AMZN, GOOGL and MSFT. Heavy into the oils up to $110 then will start selling.

25 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I see you have TSLA as a long term hold. Gutsy. I am looking at GM instead but haven’t moved yet. Still cheap with a P/E of 8. 
Staying long on AMZN, GOOGL and MSFT. Heavy into the oils up to $110 then will start selling.

I've had Tesla for two years. It's treated me well, high PE but also high growth that is beating wall street estimates. Very little debt for a growth company. They are leading EV revolution. I'm not anti oil or anything. I recently sold XOM, still holding RDS-B since $28. I recently sold AAPL at 175 only because I will need the money in the coming year. Happy with my profits even though there is a chance I am leaving some on the table. Still have google. 

The thing with Ford and GM is they have an old dinosaur of an infrastructure that they need to try to remodel. It's a large ship to try to turn around. Will cost a lot of capital. And both those companies still have to 'prove it' so to speak. All talk so far around hummer and lightning etc. The bolt/volt was a failure on GMs part. Time will tell but they have an up hill battle. They have the gov on their side though.

I've been transitioning into higher div ETFs like ZPAY, ZDV, ZWU etc.

11 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I've had Tesla for two years. It's treated me well, high PE but also high growth that is beating wall street estimates. Very little debt for a growth company. They are leading EV revolution. I'm not anti oil or anything. I recently sold XOM, still holding RDS-B since $28. I recently sold AAPL at 175 only because I will need the money in the coming year. Happy with my profits even though there is a chance I am leaving some on the table. Still have google. 

The thing with Ford and GM is they have an old dinosaur of an infrastructure that they need to try to remodel. It's a large ship to try to turn around. Will cost a lot of capital. And both those companies still have to 'prove it' so to speak. All talk so far around hummer and lightning etc. The bolt/volt was a failure on GMs part. Time will tell but they have an up hill battle. They have the gov on their side though.

I've been transitioning into higher div ETFs like ZPAY, ZDV, ZWU etc.

I have used both ZDV and ZWU and still own some ZDV. Last year it really took off. I would have done better by simply owning ZDV than my individual stocks. The MER isn’t that bad either. I realize that at some point I will have to transition to larger ETF holdings. My capital gain hit makes me hesitate. 

For those in the know.

Over the last few weeks, Canada has approved mushrom/psilocybin use in patients, the US now has 2 states that have legalized it AND it si now listed on the US stocks as well as Canada and germany.

Mindmed, Numiness, Trip, PSYK

Get ready 

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

For those in the know.

Over the last few weeks, Canada has approved mushrom/psilocybin use in patients, the US now has 2 states that have legalized it AND it si now listed on the US stocks as well as Canada and germany.

Mindmed, Numiness, Trip, PSYK

Get ready 

The research is certainly promising. I'm holding MMED and NUMI. They've gone down but I just nibble on dips and slowly building my position. It's one of those you will want to be in when it goes...IF it goes. Regulation or unsuccessful clinical trials will crush them. I can see a similar run to what the weed stocks saw in 2016-2017 (i think?)

The Cdn $ is strengthening against the USD which suggests the market is positive on economy. I am weighted at + 30% on energy, copper, and agriculture. On the USA side I will maintain my FANG exposure and healthcare but start to increase my industrial. Still like GM which is where I will buy unless I find something better. There is huge pent up demand in this sector. 

On 1/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, Boudrias said:

I suspect that crypto doesn’t survive a major recession. Markets have watched tech stocks grow for over a decade now. With no serious pullbacks there hasn’t been a very serious questioning of huge PE multiples. I’ll stick with my gold stocks.

one of the most successful investors, bill Miller put 50% of his personal wealth in bitcoin. Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks (NBA, basketball team) is all in in crypto. 100 software developers recently left Meta (former Facebook) to join Blockchain Projects like Avalanche. These highly talented software developers are smart enough to know  that blockchain is the future. Bitcoin will become the number 1 store of value in the coming years. Decentralized finance will rule the world. NFT and the Metaverse will become mainstream. The future for blockchain projects (software projects) looks bright.

Like Mark Cuban I am also all in .....