The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 1/12/2022 at 5:34 PM, Boudrias said:

I see you have TSLA as a long term hold. Gutsy. I am looking at GM instead but haven’t moved yet. Still cheap with a P/E of 8. 
Staying long on AMZN, GOOGL and MSFT. Heavy into the oils up to $110 then will start selling.

not to forget that this famous investor is also invested in Crypto (in HBAR and Matic); just look at his shorts and flipflops and the guitar right next to him - priceless - .::D

grafik.thumb.png.a379f2130c3bca0d0ca0a040816a6b4e.png

On 1/14/2022 at 12:00 PM, Wolfgang Durst said:

one of the most successful investors, bill Miller put 50% of his personal wealth in bitcoin. Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks (NBA, basketball team) is all in in crypto. 100 software developers recently left Meta (former Facebook) to join Blockchain Projects like Avalanche. These highly talented software developers are smart enough to know  that blockchain is the future. Bitcoin will become the number 1 store of value in the coming years. Decentralized finance will rule the world. NFT and the Metaverse will become mainstream. The future for blockchain projects (software projects) looks bright.

Like Mark Cuban I am also all in .....

Smarter people than I. I’ll keep my blockchain exposure in GOOGL, MSFT, RY and TD. Bill Miller, wow, I hadn’t heard that. My hesitation is no doubt age related. Lots of naysayers I could mention but what dif does that make. Good luck. 

one of the most successful investors, bill Miller put 50% of his personal wealth in bitcoin. Mark Cuban, the owner of the Dallas Mavericks (NBA, basketball team) is all in in crypto. 100 software developers recently left Meta (former Facebook) to join Blockchain Projects like Avalanche. These highly talented software developers are smart enough to know  that blockchain is the future. Bitcoin will become the number 1 store of value in the coming years. Decentralized finance will rule the world. NFT and the Metaverse will become mainstream. The future for blockchain projects (software projects) looks bright.

Smarter people than I. I’ll keep my blockchain exposure in GOOGL, MSFT, RY and TD. Bill Miller, wow, I hadn’t heard that. My hesitation is no doubt age related. Lots of naysayers I could mention but what dif does that make. Good luck. 

On 1/14/2022 at 11:11 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

not to forget that this famous investor is also invested in Crypto (in HBAR and Matic); just look at his shorts and flipflops and the guitar right next to him - priceless - .::D

grafik.thumb.png.a379f2130c3bca0d0ca0a040816a6b4e.png

I'm in on a coupke Canadian companies in cstr and gblc, as well as gdet who is producing safe Bitcoin debit cards 

Get in low hope for a run

On 1/5/2022 at 8:46 AM, Boudrias said:

Average Canadian family now owes + $295,000 in government debt. Add that to your mortgage! Contrary to popular belief the Government cannot keep creating money to pay for their promises. We are in big trouble. 

Imagine if someone could stop the Feds from spending money they magically don't have....  Its almost like how the average joe can't miss a dollar on his taxes before morons decide to come after us and if we owe money they take our stuff.  I love how the government can just spend nilly willy and play it off like its fine and a good thing. 

please leave go away GIF by CBC

• Like 1

On 1/12/2022 at 12:21 PM, Warhippy said:

For those in the know.

Over the last few weeks, Canada has approved mushrom/psilocybin use in patients, the US now has 2 states that have legalized it AND it si now listed on the US stocks as well as Canada and germany.

Mindmed, Numiness, Trip, PSYK

Get ready 

I got in this last January, glad I cut bait early after some quick losses.

SO the "winter" of cryptocurrency is coming apparently.  Some experts think it will continue dropping with Bitcoin plunging down to around $20,000 or less.

That leaves a lot of buy in area and even more crypto bros without an MLM to stand on

5 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Could you please explain to me, in the simplest terms wtf happened with the SPY index today? @nuckin_futz 

My shot at an explanation is that SPY index represents the S&P 500 index of companies. Markets were in turmoil today for as many reasons as you want to read. Primarily the threat of increased interest rates on earnings of public companies. If borrowing costs go up their earnings will go down and their stock price will go down. Many tech company stocks are dropping because their earnings are suspect. At one point today my portfolio was down 3% and yet closed the day at -0.4%. Full blown recession could drop markets 20% or more. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, HI5 said:

Could you please explain to me, in the simplest terms wtf happened with the SPY index today? @nuckin_futz 

Technically speaking we bounced pretty much where we should have (off prior support). Hindsight is always 20/20 B)

snp.jpg.dee65d71cdb2ff72348e0aad0cecf421.jpg

In non technical terms, we exhausted the sellers and buyers came in. An extreme move down was met with an extreme move up. I would think SPY could find resistance around 450-470.

We are now in a rising rate environment. Speculative garbage with iffy earnings is not the place to be. Things like ROKU, RIVN, PTON, AFRM should be avoided. Less sexy stuff like financials, oil services and dividend paying stocks should provide a nice place to ride out any storm.

Unless you get a full scale war in Ukraine or Powell gets unexpectedly hawkish we probably chop around in a range for some time.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Technically speaking we bounced pretty much where we should have (off prior support). Hindsight is always 20/20 B)

snp.jpg.dee65d71cdb2ff72348e0aad0cecf421.jpg

In non technical terms, we exhausted the sellers and buyers came in. An extreme move down was met with an extreme move up. I would think SPY could find resistance around 450-470.

We are now in a rising rate environment. Speculative garbage with iffy earnings is not the place to be. Things like ROKU, RIVN, PTON, AFRM should be avoided. Less sexy stuff like financials, oil services and dividend paying stocks should provide a nice place to ride out any storm.

Unless you get a full scale war in Ukraine or Powell gets unexpectedly hawkish we probably chop around in a range for some time.

Really? Because PTON has had a 22% spike in the past week! Just ignore the 1 year chart though..... 

Screenshot_20220124-184841_Chrome.jpg

9 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

An exercise bike with an iPad glued to it showing some roided up Nazi yelling at you. Who da thunk it?

I never did get it.  Everyone has a phone/tablet now.  All you needed was an app with maybe a $20/month subscription to have someone yell at you and a regular stationary bike.

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2022 at 3:17 PM, Warhippy said:

SO the "winter" of cryptocurrency is coming apparently.  Some experts think it will continue dropping with Bitcoin plunging down to around $20,000 or less.

That leaves a lot of buy in area and even more crypto bros without an MLM to stand on

I hope it does crash to 20k and eth goes under 1k.   I would literally buy bags of eth and maybe… half of …… 1/4 of btc