The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames re-sign Micheal Ferland

@660NEWS:

SPORTS: The Calgary #Flames have agreed to a 1.65-million, two-year deal with restricted free agent forward Micheal Ferland. #NHL

@DarrenDreger:

Ferland agrees to 2 yr extension with Calgary Flames. $825,000 aav. $750,000 year 1 and $900,000 year 2.

Good for Calgary. Man, are they going to be a tough team to play against. Such a heavy team with the right mixture of skill and 2way play. Honestly I'm most scared of going against them this upcoming year. Scary how fast they turned things around there.

Good for Calgary. Man, are they going to be a tough team to play against. Such a heavy team with the right mixture of skill and 2way play. Honestly I'm most scared of going against them this upcoming year. Scary how fast they turned things around there.

Exactly this. They have some solid top-end two-way guys and skilled guys, along with physical young guys to muck things up. What's more, that defensive group is so mobile they can skate their way out of trouble. If Hiller holds up in goal look out western conference.

I wonder how long the league will let him charge with impunity?

How effective will he be without that?

I'm guessing day 1 of the regular season they will start calling that bull. It's the idiotic ideal that it's the playoffs so the rules change. The game should be called the same from game 1 of the season to game 7 of the cup finals but we all know that isn't the case.

He'll slowly start becoming irrelevant with Jake making the team this year and Lucic possibly coming home next year.

Bieksa was largely correct TBH, he was/should have been irrelevant in that series.

The Canucks shouldn't have put up with his shenanigans and the league/zebras should have done their jobs.

That's basically it. If he doesn't have that menacing forecheck in his game, just how effective is he? I'd go out on a limb to say he'll be overpaid during this contract if he can't continue to walk the safe side of that very fine line and has to scale it back from his game.

I doubt he'll be hitting that consistent in the season without injuring himself or getting penalties. Playoffs is another story.

Didn't this guy put up decent numbers in junior? Could turn out to be a decent power forward unfortunately.

Ryan Johnson put up decent numbers in junior, but it didn't stop him from having to reinvent himself as a shot blocking defensive center in order to stick in the NHL. I don't think we'll see him with any kind of significant production at the NHL level.

They changed the rule as soon as he started playing vs a California team.

It's fair game until u play one of the leagues darling teams.

Has he earned the title of Most Overrated Calgary Flame ever?

Or is that thought just sour grapes?

I can't think of any Calgary Flame being more overrated though, unless you increase scale. Like Fleury or Fraudreau. Or go extreme and say Iginla was overrated. Overrated is a subjective term.

However, comparing Ferland to other old Calgary Flame chowderheads like Ronnie Stern, Craig Berube, Ville Nieminen, Eric Nystrom, I'd say Ferland had more comments thrown towards the notion that he was somehow this great player. I dunno.

It's irrelevant.

This is not a big contract! Much fuss about not much.

But I am guessing he scored himself a one way deal?

Gotta congratulate the guy for getting sober & working hard! From what I understand he has had some ups and downs. Hopefully I am not mistaking his story from someone elses? Antics against us aside; its a pretty good story.

It will be interesting to see if he can add components to his game. He is young, has reasonable speed and some size. I would not complain if he was our prospect.

Bieksa was largely correct TBH, he was/should have been irrelevant in that series.

The Canucks shouldn't have put up with his shenanigans and the league/zebras should have done their jobs.

I find it odd every year or so, a guy just seems to get grace outside obvious boundaries. One only has to look back at Marchand jack rabbit punching Sedin. These were obvious penalties.

In the end, you gotta get the puck out earlier I guess... That's the best way to make him less relevant...

That's basically it. If he doesn't have that menacing forecheck in his game, just how effective is he? I'd go out on a limb to say he'll be overpaid during this contract if he can't continue to walk the safe side of that very fine line and has to scale it back from his game.

No doubt there is a fine line. But of course we had Torres a few years ago.

That said, even if he has to tone down the charging (he does). Pressure is pressure and the guy is big. LA makes good use of Nolan.

Archived