The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Oilers waive Scrivens

Baer.

Backup plays great behind stacked Kings team, Oilers think he's the answer to their goaltending problems and atrocious defensive play.

Flash forward to September 2016:

Oilers waive Cam Talbot. Turns out a backup goaltender on a stacked Rangers team isn't the answer to the Oilers atrocious defensive play.

That's kind of what I'm expecting in all honesty, maybe he won't be waived but I'm not expecting him to be a legitimate answer in net for them.

I wonder if anyone will snag Scrivens though, anyone can do better outside of Edmonton.

Backup plays great behind stacked Kings team, Oilers think he's the answer to their goaltending problems and atrocious defensive play.

Flash forward to September 2016:

Oilers waive Cam Talbot. Turns out a backup goaltender on a stacked Rangers team isn't the answer to the Oilers atrocious defensive play.

Oilers team coached by McLellan =/= Oilers team coached by Eakins.

Not to mention the personnel on the Oilers defense has been improved.

Anyone who thinks that this is the same Oilers team as last year will be sorely mistaken.

i hope they never get a major upgrade on D.

If they land a weber I hope it's our weber going the way of the oil not that franchise weber that every team wants.

I think they have the pieces if they really wanted to go after Weber.

Again, it would be a MASSIVE overpayment, but really, I think it's worth it in the end.

EDIT: It would take at least 4 pieces out of Eberle/Yakupov/1st/Nurse/Schultz. I doubt they trade Hall/Nuge/Draisaitl, I'd build my team around those 3 & McDavid.

That's kind of what I'm expecting in all honesty, maybe he won't be waived but I'm not expecting him to be a legitimate answer in net for them.

I wonder if anyone will snag Scrivens though, anyone can do better outside of Edmonton.

Maybe he goes back to LA, and is a star back up again? Then the Leafs could trade for him.

Anyone who thinks that this is the same Oilers team as last year will be sorely mistaken.

We'll see.

Their d was turnover after lost check after fire drill the last two games.

It wasn't just that, I agree that the LA defence made Scrivens look better, but he also was playing really well with the Toronto Marlies and I remember when he was traded to LA a few years ago people were generally surprised because he was expected to grow into a favourable starter at the time (if he stayed in Toronto he would've just gone down the Toronto goalie graveyard path lol) and that he deserved a better opportunity than to be backing up Quick. Then when he got to Edmonton, a lot of people were saying that he could end up being a decent starter for them, which he would've if he actually had any defence ahead of him rather than being thrown under the bus. He did steal games for the oilers and gave them chances to win more games, but the Oilers were inconsistent.

Remember when Nonis offered Scrivens and a 2nd for Lou..good times.

It was Scrivens and 2nd and 3rd round picks. I would've taken that deal then and now. But along came the Markstrom and Matthias for Luongo and Steven Anthony deal, I'm glad we got that deal. Got a big winger in Matthias to help the 200 foot game for a season and a bit, and 18 goals in the season out of him. And Markstrom is panning out and his ceiling is quite high.

Yeah Dubnyk was proof of that. And I am guessing Edmonton wished they still had Dubnyk

Anyone who blames a coach that lasted 1 season on winning first overall pick 4 times also is sorely mistaken

People are still blasting JB over the Lack trade but compare it to Edmonton giving away a 3rd for one and a half years of Scrivens.

He had amazing numbers with the Kings at the time of the trade.

The Oilers lose a 3rd (Dominic Turgeon selected) for a guy who was waived. We gained a 3rd+7th. Such is the goalie market. I'm glad we aren't the team waiving one.

I wouldn't base much of anything I do on what the Oilers choose to do though. Even with Chiarelli in charge, this doesn't look too smart to keep rotating goalies who really aren't that bad considering it's not their fault Edmonton is losing games for the most part.

I wouldn't base much of anything I do on what the Oilers choose to do though. Even with Chiarelli in charge, this doesn't look too smart to keep rotating goalies who really aren't that bad considering it's not their fault Edmonton is losing games for the most part.

Pretty much this.

It's similar to how JB has been working at cleaning up our mess. Chiarelli is doing the same in Edmonton, only it's a different mess.

Archived