The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen in tonight

Ourgodluongo

Murph doubts that McCann will sit.

Edit: I may have misunderstood. I think it means he doubts that the lineup will look like that if McCann sits.

duVdXZCz_bigger.jpgDan Murphy Verified account @sportsnetmurph

One more time! If 91 sits in LA, here's what I would love to see #Canucks 22-33-17 47-53-77 14-21-36 15-24-9 Doubt that will happen tho!

https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/status/654007567715188737

sven must be out .. I keep saying it , but the guy just isn't good enough for the nhl right now

and what games have you been watching????? jake will be in and if he plays well will be hard to move him back out!!!Sven was a steal of a deal for us and so far every game has been lights out!

Edit: I may have misunderstood. I think it means he doubts that the lineup will look like that if McCann sits.

duVdXZCz_bigger.jpgDan Murphy Verified account ‏@sportsnetmurph

One more time! If 91 sits in LA, here's what I would love to see #Canucks 22-33-17 47-53-77 14-21-36 15-24-9 Doubt that will happen tho!

He should know that Virtanen is #18 now...

duVdXZCz_bigger.jpgDan Murphy Verified account ‏@sportsnetmurph

I think its more of a doubt that the second line of 47-53-77 will play together than McCann actually sitting out. I suspect Jake will play on the fourth line.

The lineup Murphy wants to see looks good though..

There it is, McCann is sitting.

Canucks’ Jake Virtanen set for NHL debut

Frank Seravalli, TSN Senior Hockey Reporter

jake-virtanen.jpg

Jake Virtanen

Vancouver Canucks first-round pick Jake Virtanen will make his NHL debut tonight at against the Los Angeles Kings at Staples Center.

Virtanen, 19, was Vancouver’s sixth overall selection in the 2014 draft. He won a job in training camp, beating out Linden Vey in the process, but sat as a healthy scratch in the Canucks’ first three games.

Virtanen will sub in for fellow rookie Jared McCann, who scored his first NHL goal on Saturday night against Calgary.

By adding size and sandpaper to the lineup, Virtanen will help balance out the Canucks against the heavy Kings. Milan Lucic, playing against his hometown team, comprises one of the NHL’s strongest top lines with Anze Kopitar and Marian Gaborik.

Defenceman Yannick Weber and McCann will be the Canucks’ scratches.

Vancouver (2-0-1) is one of remaining 10 teams without a regulation blemish on their record through the first six nights of the regular season.

http://www.tsn.ca/canucks-jake-virtanen-set-for-nhl-debut-1.376277

I'm OK with this as long as Mcann stays in. He provides the flexibility we need to allow Sutter to stay with the twins. I personally would let Hansen sit as we need Prust and Dorsett in against the LA goon squad.

Good luck Jake!

I think a game or two in the press box would do McCann quite well especially watching a more intense game with the Kings allows Linden and Benning to coach him on what to do and what not to do.

I love the one where #8 thinks he has him lined up and Jake just flattens him without looking like it was more than a fly he was batting to the ground.

#8 isn't very good at physics, Virtanen had forward momentum propel his hit whereas #8 had to stop and then try and hit Virt. Didn't stand a chance.

The reason we're doing so well is because of Miller.

Yup. The defence looked horrible against Calgary on Saturday - they were getting owned for large stretches of time. It wasn't as bad last night but not great either.

If not for Miller we'd be 1-2 right now.

Markstrom has to get better soon because Miller, at his age, can't be seeing this much rubber every game.

As much as it's great to have a couple more guys in Hutton and Bartkowski who can actually move the puck - we need a push at the front end from our forwards by way of a decent forecheck.

enter Virtanen.

I think it makes the most sense to sit McCann. That way they can stretch out his nine games and give him more time practicing with the team and working with strength and conditioning coaches before making a decision on him.

Jake gets his chance against a physical team that has footspeed issues. He should be able to get in on the forecheck and lay down some big hits. Hopefully he also pops one in..

I don't like it. Why mess with a lineup that's been doing so well?

Unless there's someone aching or injured

Are you kidding me? The reason why the Canucks have three points out of four over the past two is the play of Ryan Miller. The Canucks clocked out after the second period in Game 2 and they didn't mount much vs. the Ducks. The lineup as it is right now is far from "doing so well." But it's only 3 games in, so give 'em a pass for the time being.

I think a game or two in the press box would do McCann quite well especially watching a more intense game with the Kings allows Linden and Benning to coach him on what to do and what not to do.

Exactly...McCann has played very well,but I think he got exposed defensively against the Ducks..He will be back in the lineup eventually...I'm looking forward to see how WD deploys his lines for tonights game.

Where are people getting this from? Am I watching a different player?

He's shown more battle than Vrbata and has made some great passes. He's been fine.

People really need to stop trying to find a whipping boy and just enjoy the games. It's sad that Canucks fans always need to bash their own players.

This, he's looked better than Vrbata imo.

I still think the kid line should be re-united, they played great. Bo and Virtanen are both big and fast and will be able to handle the kings big players.

The kings might even have some trouble keeping up with the speed of that line.

Where are people getting this from? Am I watching a different player?

He's shown more battle than Vrbata and has made some great passes. He's been fine.

People really need to stop trying to find a whipping boy and just enjoy the games. It's sad that Canucks fans always need to bash their own players.

Well said. Baertschi has been good so far. No reason to bash him.

Great to finally get to see Jake in action!

Archived