The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

WD is out of his depth

Canucks Curse

3 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

No..not at all...but change it up..it seems to me the team that wins on 3 on 3 is the team that can break out fast,and bust through and get their shot off..sometimes all the corner play from the twins kills that momentum...I dont know, when you are 0-7 you should try something else.

Virtanen would be suited for OT with his speed...not sure if he has seen any ice in overtime.

Change it up how? Leave the twins and Edler out of the loop entirely? I don't really understand what WD should be trying. If those guys are playing in OT, then what should be different? More time for them and less for the team's leading scorers?

On 12/4/2015, 8:14:02, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I’ve posted this in another thread but will restate it here.  A clear example to show how WD is out of his depths is.  5 minutes left in the game.  Canucks are down by a goal and canucks need to try to score to tie it up.   Then you see Prust, Dorsett, and Cracknell on the ice.  Prust hasn’t cracked the 20 point mark in the last 5 years. Dorsett has only cracked it twice in his career and Cracknell, well his career high is 7 points.  What does WD expect is going to happen.  Are they all of the sudden going to find their goal scoring touch?

Then you see our two top point/min players McCann and Baertschi sitting on the bench.  McCann gets a 14 sec shift and Baertschi doesn’t see the ice.

This is a transition year right?  So what does he WD got to lose to put these players out there in a time of need for offense?  What’s the worst that can happen?  Canucks lose….. A transition is about giving opportunity to the youth and living with the consequence even if it ends up costing you a win. A transition isn’t about putting youth on the roster only to have them watch the vets cost us games.

Long term it's better for us to play these players and put them in situations so that they can learn and grow.  What good does it do playing players that aren’t even going to be playing on this team in 2 years, it’s sure not helping build a “winning” environment.  It’s time WD hops on this transition train.

If people can't see it's THE TEAM that is out of it's depth (much of it caused by injuries) then there is little hope for them.

As for 3 on 3, as I have said before, split the twins and couple them with 2 fast players Henrik, Hansen and Hutton and Hank McCann and Bartowski and lastly Edler, Vbrata and Sutter.

Not looking great for the WD camp particularly after Henrik's comments. WD comes out and calls a game must win in December and the team goes out and gets thumped 4-0.

This team's performance so far isn't all on WD. JB hasn't delivered the roster for this team to be a playoff team and many of us recognized that and have been saying so since the summer. Our defense lineup is among the worst in the league and the average fan knows that. We don't have anyone who can score past the Sedin line.

With the roster we have this team needs to play defense first hockey. They need to keep the puck on the perimeter. Try to win 1-0. Like the Wild and Devils of the old days. The kids will learn to play the game D first and develop properly. Even if they lose more than they win at least the next generation will be on the right track to win in the future.

The team could be at the same spot with a different coach, but right now this team isn't playing the right way. The young kids need to learn the game from their goal line out. Caoch must be able to manage the bench and line match. He must have a system in place which preaches zone coverage and keeps the puck away from the soft spot between the dots. The defensive coverage should create scoring chances off the transition game.  With limited talent the team needs to keep the puck along the boards most of the night. Someone needs to show WD the coaching clinic Babcock put on when he coached the Ducks to the SCF.

Right now we have a coach who stands behind the bench and rolls 4 lines, can't line match and doesn't have any particularly impressive system, that's not good enough to cut it at this level and its not good for the development of our prospects. 

Henrik is not the type to disagree publicly with his coach, stuck with Torts till the bitter end. NHL isn't great to coaches. They usually don't last 3 years. Like I said before, WD won't be back next year. The way it's going it could end pretty soon here and he won't last rest of the season, Gulutzan could take over as interim head coach and see how things go and mgmt would get a chance to asses the team under a different coach going into the summer. He's a former head coach and the mgmt respects him enough to have kept him after the Torts house cleaning. Green would be another option but it would be wiser to keep him in the minors and not disrupt the Utica season and prospect development.

On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎37‎:‎07‎, thema said:

People are reading way too much into the win against Chicago; if we could make sure every team was playing their third road game in four nights and their goalie played a .737 game we would be laughing all the way to the Cup and let's not forget the score was tied with 5 minutes to go DESPITE all those factors. It isn't Willie letting in one bad goal a game, it's the goalies. It isn't Willie making the defensive gaffes, it (mostly) the vets who should know better. It isn't Willie whiffing on open net shots it's the forwards. I feel that he has given the kids plenty of chances, indeed enough to have had a couple of games go sideways because of rookie mistakes so criticisms that he isn't giving the rookies a chance don't wash with me. Expecting kids like Virtanen to step in and play like NHL veterans is unrealistic and for the most part I feel that they have played very well and Willie has played them enough and in the right situations. The fact that we made the playoffs last year proves to me that Willie is a good coach and, more importantly, the RIGHT coach for this rebuild.

anyone else having trouble with random quotes that they can't get rid of?

Thema, I did not intend to quote you today, but it will not cancel.

Anyway, is it a coincidence that the team is playing better and Willie has kept the same lines together for 2 or 3 games?

The Sedins have played well for a while with Hansen,

Then the Cracker, Prust Dorsett line got set and they started to play well.

Now lines 2-3 have been set for the first time all year and suddenly they are playing better too.

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

Anyway, is it a coincidence that the team is playing better and Willie has kept the same lines together for 2 or 3 games?

The Sedins have played well for a while with Hansen,

Then the Cracker, Prust Dorsett line got set and they started to play well.

Now lines 2-3 have been set for the first time all year and suddenly they are playing better too.

Having the lines set always helps and getting Hutton back and inserting Biega into the lineup hasn't hurt either. I think this next road trip is going to tell us a lot about this team- for better or worse.

On 07/12/2015, 16:42:15, WHL rocks said:

Not looking great for the WD camp particularly after Henrik's comments. WD comes out and calls a game must win in December and the team goes out and gets thumped 4-0.

This team's performance so far isn't all on WD. JB hasn't delivered the roster for this team to be a playoff team and many of us recognized that and have been saying so since the summer. Our defense lineup is among the worst in the league and the average fan knows that. We don't have anyone who can score past the Sedin line.

With the roster we have this team needs to play defense first hockey. They need to keep the puck on the perimeter. Try to win 1-0. Like the Wild and Devils of the old days. The kids will learn to play the game D first and develop properly. Even if they lose more than they win at least the next generation will be on the right track to win in the future.

The team could be at the same spot with a different coach, but right now this team isn't playing the right way. The young kids need to learn the game from their goal line out. Caoch must be able to manage the bench and line match. He must have a system in place which preaches zone coverage and keeps the puck away from the soft spot between the dots. The defensive coverage should create scoring chances off the transition game.  With limited talent the team needs to keep the puck along the boards most of the night. Someone needs to show WD the coaching clinic Babcock put on when he coached the Ducks to the SCF.

Right now we have a coach who stands behind the bench and rolls 4 lines, can't line match and doesn't have any particularly impressive system, that's not good enough to cut it at this level and its not good for the development of our prospects. 

Henrik is not the type to disagree publicly with his coach, stuck with Torts till the bitter end. NHL isn't great to coaches. They usually don't last 3 years. Like I said before, WD won't be back next year. The way it's going it could end pretty soon here and he won't last rest of the season, Gulutzan could take over as interim head coach and see how things go and mgmt would get a chance to asses the team under a different coach going into the summer. He's a former head coach and the mgmt respects him enough to have kept him after the Torts house cleaning. Green would be another option but it would be wiser to keep him in the minors and not disrupt the Utica season and prospect development.

How did he do against Buffalo & the Rangers?

3 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Lost 4-0 to Boston beat NYR 2-1 thx in part  to a cpl of timely 2 man pp. Why didn't u watch the games ?? 

U know I meant Buffalo & NYR... so anyways smarty, when Willie goes 2-0 in the past week U don't post on this topic but when THE TEAM loses U blame WD for everything....?

8 hours ago, hearditall said:

U know I meant Buffalo & NYR... so anyways smarty, when Willie goes 2-0 in the past week U don't post on this topic but when THE TEAM loses U blame WD for everything....?

Plan the parade. 2-0. 

Read my post again. It says it's not all on WD.

" JB hasn't provided a playoff calibre roster....... defense is among league worst........ " and it's a 1 line team with sedin line "

2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Plan the parade. 2-0. 

Read my post again. It says it's not all on WD.

" JB hasn't provided a playoff calibre roster....... defense is among league worst........ " and it's a 1 line team with sedin line "

dunno what your talking about but our defense isn't the worst in the league have seen edmonton, Colorado and the list goes on. It isn't one of the top defense in the league as we are used to but it sure isn't the worst either. Mostly the only major difference between the defense last year that got us to the playoffs and this year is beiksa has been replaced by hutton. Which most of us can say is that hutton is better than bieksa.

3 hours ago, hockeyking said:

dunno what your talking about but our defense isn't the worst in the league have seen edmonton, Colorado and the list goes on. It isn't one of the top defense in the league as we are used to but it sure isn't the worst either. Mostly the only major difference between the defense last year that got us to the playoffs and this year is beiksa has been replaced by hutton. Which most of us can say is that hutton is better than bieksa.

Dunno what u read but it wasn't what I wrote.

Show me where I said " our defense is THE WORST  in the league " 

I did say "AMONG the worst in the league"

What's up with u guys. 2 of u quoted me and countered my post but neither of u read my post.  

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Dunno what u read but it wasn't what I wrote.

Show me where I said " our defense is THE WORST  in the league " 

I did say "AMONG the worst in the league"

What's up with u guys. 2 of u quoted me and countered my post but neither of u read my post.  

I read them, they were bollocks! :P - happy?

You are the typical bandwaggoner imo. When things go wrong you don't allow yourself to see ANY mitigating circumstances. We are blooding rookies, our two second season rookies are going through a slump, we have had injuries to virtually every one of our key players except the Twins and Edler. Now when we are getting some guys back. 

Bo and Baertschi are playing better, McCann is getting more used to the physical side of the NHL and Biega seems to have filled a big hole in the D we look like we still might achieve something this season ( Hammer gets hurt) - and all you can say is "Plan the parade 2-0"

Come on, try at least to see the big picture, or are you just interested in tanking so that you can fantasise on what I top 3 pick MIGHT or might not do for us 2 years down the line. That way lies madness of the Oiler kind.

Willie knows what he's doing. In interview today he discussed moving the puck out of the defending zone faster and how it would alleviate the physical part of the game.

Bobby Orr used to say "Early Easy"

Basically, don't play around with the puck and move it out fast and you don't give the attacker the time to be in a position to strip you with it or slam you into the boards while you're trying to move it out.

Willie knows this too.

He knows hockey.

I hope asst coaches ask him what he wants to see and he steers them.He knows the players pretty good.

As for Edler and Hamhuis - if they've been injured in past - they still may rely on pain relief meds.

When you take those meds may effect how consistent a player appears on ice.

Maybe they want to look at timing of any pain relief if they require it.

Lucid beats injured anyday. End the turnovers and increase reaction time.

Early Easy.

Something to keep in mind. May explain Edlers dazzling intelligence mixed with WTF?

And Hamhuis knows hockey better than he's been playing it.

I think WD deserves a lot of credit.

The one time in the two seasons that he was clearly outclassed as a coach was actually his first head to head matchup with AV.

The Rags broke down an overly aggressive forecheck and absolutely killed us off the rush.

This time around WD gameplanned  a more measured approach and the result was that they weathered the Rags attack in the first 20 and over the course of the next 40 minutes, they held their own, even with a shortened bench.

Imo that was one of the most impressive performances this team has put out in the last two seasons.

One thing that was notably stronger at the start of this season was the down low puck support the team provided the blueline in the dzone.  They moved the puck very quickly with short, decisive breakouts and the team was very impressive from the get-go.  Of course they've had a revolving door of injuries not only to Sutter but even moreso on the blueline, which has effected their ability to exit their own zone as effectively, but still, I think if they can revert a bit to the focus they had at the start of the season, the team has lots of promise.

14 minutes ago, BUCKFIFTY said:

Willie knows what he's doing. In interview today he discussed moving the puck out of the defending zone faster and how it would alleviate the physical part of the game.

Bobby Orr used to say "Early Easy"

Basically, don't play around with the puck and move it out fast and you don't give the attacker the time to be in a position to strip you with it or slam you into the boards while you're trying to move it out.

Willie knows this too.

He knows hockey.

I hope asst coaches ask him what he wants to see and he steers them.He knows the players pretty good.

As for Edler and Hamhuis - if they've been injured in past - they still may rely on pain relief meds.

When you take those meds may effect how consistent a player appears on ice.

Maybe they want to look at timing of any pain relief if they require it.

Lucid beats injured anyday. End the turnovers and increase reaction time.

Early Easy.

Something to keep in mind. May explain Edlers dazzling intelligence mixed with WTF?

And Hamhuis knows hockey better than he's been playing it.

Wow! That's a very different post, from what we read here.  

Archived