The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Recall Biega and Gaunce

Blackberries

Any news on who was put on LTIR to make the numbers work?

I'd guess Markstrom, retroactive to his initial injury, based on the reports on how long he's expected to be out.

We don't have enough bodies missing to do emergency recalls on skaters (unlike in net with Bachman filling in for Markstrom). And we don't have the cap space to add relief players while leaving all the injured guys on IR.

And Markstrom's cap hit should create enough LTIR exception for both Gaunce and Biega.

Gaunce should fit into the fourth line LW spot nicely.  Ive wanted them to give this kid a chance on the fourth line since last year.

We could have

Jake, Bo, Gaunce, Hutton, Baer and McCann all in one lineup.  You wanted youth, you got youth! 

I like Gaunce but if prust is out, Cracknell deserves to go in. 

Biega is solid... I thought he was awesome when he played last year. Hits like a truck but probably a number 7. Weber is a huge presence on the powerplay. His shot is so respected that it opens up space for the other 4. 

My guess is if we have a 'Heavy' team to play against on this trip (haven't looked at the schedule), Crack goes in at 4c. Then either McCann comes out or moves to wing and Baer sits...

Gaunce has always been one of my favorite prospects. Big kid who plays with alot of heart.

He's never gonna put up big numbers, but he knows how to score the big goals.

Gaunce is a leader by example. He might not have the skill, but has the heart and determination. Love watching him.

Any news on who was put on LTIR to make the numbers work?

I'd guess Markstrom, retroactive to his initial injury, based on the reports on how long he's expected to be out.

We don't have enough bodies missing to do emergency recalls on skaters (unlike in net with Bachman filling in for Markstrom). And we don't have the cap space to add relief players while leaving all the injured guys on IR.

And Markstrom's cap hit should create enough LTIR exception for both Gaunce and Biega.

There is some speculation in the VanCityBuzz as follows:

Chris Higgins provided an update on his foot injury this morning:

“It feels like it’s good now,” he said. “I can’t play until the 30th, so shortly after that we’ll make the decision.”

Speaking only a few minutes later, Trevor Linden was asked about Higgins status: “He’s a bit away.”

Sounds to me like Linden’s trying to buy some time.

That “can’t play until the 30th” was also a little fishy, so I had our news team do a little research. Intrepid reporter Rob the Hockey Guy determined the October 30 game is the 11th game of the Canucks season, meaning Higgins was likely placed on LTIR without anyone knowing.

I don't think either draw in to the line-up, but it's nice kudos from the club rewarding the guys who have earned it. Cracknell never really deserved to come out of the line up, just a byproduct of McCann playing so well. Barring any more injuries, I think the Canucks are fine with Cracknell/Weber slotting in. 

Should be a good experience for both guys to be around the team and get an NHL paycheck. 

Archived