The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Recall Biega and Gaunce

Blackberries

Didn't Hamhuis finish the game the last time he played? how did he get injured? could it be......

he's being shopped?!!?!? e5 ^_^

I doubt it, Hammer's been spotted doing a lot of extra curricular workouts/therapy at practice, he's got some mobility issues related to an ab/groin/core injury, possibly related to his past surgery(s) - 1040, might have been Tomlinson

I doubt it, Hammer's been spotted doing a lot of extra curricular workouts/therapy at practice, sounds like he's got some mobility issues related to an ab/groin/core injury, possibly related to his past surgery(s) - 1040, might have been Tomlinson

I think it's part of their new initiative to not play guys who aren't 100%.

It doesn't do the team or Hamhuis any good to play him if he's got a nagging injury. Especially when we have a capable D-man who can replace him while he heals up.

Higgins has been skating with Markstrom for a few days.  Gaunce will play a game for sure, he is the left winger to replace Prust and Willie will want to know what he has in Gaunce.

It is also likely an ankle sprain which is 4-8 weeks or longer depending on location and severity, that Prust suffered so they need a left winger...Gaunce will play or flub.

Couldn't have gone wrong in bringing up Gaunce, Cracknell or Shinkaruk. Cracknell with 2 NHL goals is pretty good for a 4th liner but Shinkaruk has been red-hot in Utica and Gaunce's big body is probably what's bringing him over to replace Prust.

Assuming Prust will be out a while, and Virtanen will be sent down, I think it'll be Shinkaruk's time:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsestt - McCann - Gaunce

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Hansen

Lots of kids in that lineup. I think this team will miss Prust and Higgins eventually, but hopefully Gaunce and Shinkaruk can be bandaids for this team in the meanwhile. Or who knows, maybe Virtanen stays?

Couldn't have gone wrong in bringing up Gaunce, Cracknell or Shinkaruk. Cracknell with 2 NHL goals is pretty good for a 4th liner but Shinkaruk has been red-hot in Utica and Gaunce's big body is probably what's bringing him over to replace Prust.

Assuming Prust will be out a while, and Virtanen will be sent down, I think it'll be Shinkaruk's time:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Baertschi - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsestt - McCann - Gaunce

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Hansen

Lots of kids in that lineup. I think this team will miss Prust and Higgins eventually, but hopefully Gaunce and Shinkaruk can be bandaids for this team in the meanwhile. Or who knows, maybe Virtanen stays?

I dunno if Shink's checking line material, well, he's not at all checking line material.

I kinda feel bad for Shink, I hope this doesn't kill his mojo. If I was Benning I would give him a shot in the top 6 over Sven if he starts playing like crap. You can't make the size excuse in this scenario because Shink is bigger than Sven. Even if it's temporary to reward Shink for his efforts I think it would go a long way. 

Gaunce-Horvat-Virtanen: now we are talking some size! Gaunce will win the board battles that Sven is losing.

I don't think The coaching staff is going to put rookies together on the same line..As in the Montreal game,each rookie will be insulated by two experienced players

Although Prust throws his weight around in an effective way, Gaunce is actually bigger and showed during pre-season that he's pretty quick now.

Prust had some assists on McCann's goals, but that had as much to do with McCann's ability to find open ice as it did Prust's ability to find his linemates.

Gaunce - McCann - Dorsett/Cracknell could probably be an effective line, especially if Gaunce played like he did during training camp & pre-season. 

Prust is no Adam Oates but two of his four assists were sneaky and perfect passes that set up McCann's goals so more credit needs to be given to him.

So I guess Hammer and Prust will be out longer than expected.

The loss of Prust is a big hit IMO as that fourth line looked like it had some chemistry.

Not necessarily...they just aren't traveling with the team for the next two road games.

Likely Jim Benning and WD want some spare players in case any further injuries occur.  Always good to have some extra bodies until the others are ready to go.

Archived