The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Brothers Inspired by Trump, Face Hate Crime Charges

nucklehead

Two brothers, purportedly inspired by Republican White House hopeful Donald Trump, face felony hate crime charges for allegedly beating a homeless man because they believed he was an immigrant, authorities said Friday.

The brothers — Scott and Steve Leader of South Boston, 38 and 30, respectively — have been in custody since August 19 after allegedly kicking, punching and urinating on the 58-year-old, according to the Suffolk County District Attorney's Office in Massachusetts.

They were subsequently arraigned and have now been indicted by a grand jury for civil rights violations while causing bodily injury, a charge that carries up to 10 years behind bars, as well as a series of other charges, according to the statement.

The victim suffered a broken nose and other injuries during the alleged attack, the statement said, and at one point was hit repeatedly with a metal pole by one of the brothers, who witness said walked away laughing.

The Boston Globe, citing court documents, reported that Scott Leader told police that "Donald Trump was right; all these illegals need to be deported."

Trump, a billionaire real estate developer who has never held elected office, has promised, if he wins the 2016 presidential election, to expel immigrants who are in the United States illegally and build a wall along the US-Mexico border.

He has also alleged that Mexico sends rapists and other criminals across the border.

Scott Leader allegedly told police that he and his brother "tuned up" an "illegal immigrant," and that their actions were acceptable because the victim was homeless and Hispanic, according to the district attorney's office.

Trump, meanwhile, said after the alleged incident that he would never condone violence.

"Boston incident is terrible," Trump tweeted.

Say what? They're reporting the news, it's what they do...unless they faked the whole thing?

They chose a story that fit an agenda.

Again I think Trumps an idiot, but if they committed a hate crime because of one of the other candidates, I doubt it would be a big story.

Wow, who knew there was a liberal media bias? 

The cry of the ill educated or ignorant is always "liberal media bias" "Right wing media bias"

It isn't left or right bias, it just doesn't suit your mind set end of story.  Saddens me when people use those terms without actually once considering that it just doesn't conform or agree with their ideals.

Edit** Not an attack electro, just kind of tired of people using that term all the time from both sides of the spectrum.  Intelligent people should not resort to those phrases no matter their leaning

The cry of the ill educated or ignorant is always "liberal media bias" "Right wing media bias"

It isn't left or right bias, it just doesn't suit your mind set end of story.  Saddens me when people use those terms without actually once considering that it just doesn't conform or agree with their ideals.

Edit** Not an attack electro, just kind of tired of people using that term all the time from both sides of the spectrum.  Intelligent people should not resort to those phrases no matter their leaning

I don't think it's ignorant to consider outlets like Fox News or the Huffington Post as sources of biased coverage.

The reality is simply reporting the facts is boring and gets far fewer viewers, and since the media is a business, there is a vested interest in sensationalizing a story to appeal the emotion of their viewers, no matter what part of the political spectrum they are on.

There always seems to be a boogeyman out to ruin society. The supposed 'Oppression' of Christians, the Patriarchy (TM), White Supremacy, all sorts of mythical crap that is devoid of any intellectual truth but is eaten up by people eager to latch onto the myth they identify with.

I don't think it's ignorant to consider outlets like Fox News or the Huffington Post as sources of biased coverage.

The reality is simply reporting the facts is boring and gets far fewer viewers, and since the media is a business, there is a vested interest in sensationalizing a story to appeal the emotion of their viewers, no matter what part of the political spectrum they are on.

There always seems to be a boogeyman out to ruin society. The supposed 'Oppression' of Christians, the Patriarchy (TM), White Supremacy, all sorts of mythical crap that is devoid of any intellectual truth but is eaten up by people eager to latch onto the myth they identify with.

Are there biased outlets yes.  When Rupert Murdoch sticks his hands so forcefully in to things such as and including having his Canadian newsprint outlets openly writing full page support letters for Harper than yes.

But for intelligent people to sit and openly and endlessly claim "bias" on neutral stories written from fact because it doesn't suit their mindset it bothers me.

You're intelligent, act like it.  Don't just cross your arms and pout because the truth doesn't suit you or your mindset.  It bothers me really.

Are there biased outlets yes.  When Rupert Murdoch sticks his hands so forcefully in to things such as and including having his Canadian newsprint outlets openly writing full page support letters for Harper than yes.

But for intelligent people to sit and openly and endlessly claim "bias" on neutral stories written from fact because it doesn't suit their mindset it bothers me.

You're intelligent, act like it.  Don't just cross your arms and pout because the truth doesn't suit you or your mindset.  It bothers me really.

I agree with you, but this article is clearly written with a bias against Trump.

Who "inspired them" shouldn't be the meat of what the story was.  Whether it was Trump or their cousin-uncle Jim.

They chose a story that fit an agenda.

Again I think Trumps an idiot, but if they committed a hate crime because of one of the other candidates, I doubt it would be a big story.

I suppose it depends on whether or not you believe that the same media outlet would not report an incident of an illegal Mexican raping an American citizen.

When you choose to build your platform on sensationalist garbage as Trump has done, you deserve the fallout that accompanies it.

Despicable acts by despicable individuals.  To blame anything other than that sort of lets them off the hook slightly.

Whatever "inspires them"...they get to choose their actions.  Horrid.  Kicking people who are down is a cowardly act.

But they have to put their spin on it to sell it.....who will read/care about a homeless guy being beat up by moronic thugs?  Just doesn't have the drama that this sort of "reporting" relies on.  Because they are not about the news, they're about the "story".   A sad world we live in.

They should be accountable for their own actions.  That being said, when you run an openly racist, bigoted campaign, is likely this kind of thing will happen.  If Trump is so appalled by this, maybe he should cut out the fascist propaganda.

be specific.  What parts of his platform are either racist or fascist?  That's right nothing!

"When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Disgusting comments from anyone, let alone someone who hopes to be the leader of a world power.

Archived