The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

In defense of Alflives, I don't think he was being negative either and was just asking based on a few comments. 

Still don't understand how Vancouver is mentioned. The Jets are the only team that make any sense, and have the right assets (Byfuglien, Myers, Trouba or Enstrom as foundation pieces). 

And of course Winnipeg would want him on their team. 

That all depends on who the Jets are willing to give up though, as it's rumoured the Isles are stuck on one of Myers or Trouba and Chevy is reluctant to give up either. I don't think Enstrom gets moved as they already have too many right handers and are weaker on the left side if anything.

Lots of teams would want him but does it make sense based on what the Isles are asking?

30 minutes ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

No Hamonic for us. I'm guessing the asking price was Tanev +, not really surprised. 

@benkuzma: Benning talked to Islanders about Hamonic, balked at sticker shock (top D in return): "We're going to stick with what we've got." #Canucks

Zero upgrade with the defense. Unless they take out Weber, we will have to suffer for sometime...

Calgary laughed them off as well which doesnt surprise me since they asked for Brodie ... the Islanders need to realize they arent dealing in a position of strength. There player asked for a trade and gave a limited amount of teams to be traded to. You cant go in asking teams for there best D-man

1 hour ago, Winter Soldier said:

Lateral moves for the sake of them aren't always the best choice.

Add on to that D going from East to Western Conference usually seem to drop off .  Style of game and time and space are less in the West.  Look no further than Hamilton.   He hasnt looked nearly as impressive with the Flames.  No point in trading Tanev straight across....The devil you know is better than the devil you dont.

2 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Lateral moves for the sake of them aren't always the best choice.

I agree with that. The only way we're upgrading our defense is if we get Hamonic but keep Edler, Tanev and Hammer/Hutton. I think our D core would still look weak if we traded any of those guys for Hamonic. Sure, it would be an upgrade, but still not good enough. Don't overpay and wait for free agency and draft.

8 minutes ago, greetingsfrombrazil said:

I agree with that. The only way we're upgrading our defense is if we get Hamonic but keep Edler, Tanev and Hammer/Hutton. I think our D core would still look weak if we traded any of those guys for Hamonic. Sure, it would be an upgrade, but still not good enough. Don't overpay and wait for free agency and draft. 

Hamonic is younger/cheaper than Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev. That's not a lateral move. You get younger and you add cap space. That's the ideal. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdaddy said:

Hamonic is younger/cheaper than Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev. That's not a lateral move. You get younger and you add cap space. That's the ideal. 

Yes, but at what price? They seem to want either Tanev or Edler +, and I assume that + must be one of our top prospects who are playing in the NHL right now. I agree he would be a perfect fit for us in terms of cap hit and age, but I would rather keep the pieces they're asking.

3 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

No Hamonic for us. I'm guessing the asking price was Tanev +, not really surprised. 

@benkuzma: Benning talked to Islanders about Hamonic, balked at sticker shock (top D in return): "We're going to stick with what we've got." #Canucks

good decision

55 minutes ago, greetingsfrombrazil said:

Yes, but at what price? They seem to want either Tanev or Edler +, and I assume that + must be one of our top prospects who are playing in the NHL right now. I agree he would be a perfect fit for us in terms of cap hit and age, but I would rather keep the pieces they're asking.

Refusing to move one of the three is essentially saying the Canucks are fine with simply making the playoffs with no real intent to grow the young players or build for the future. Yes we have young guys in the lineup but with the exception of Horvat (who has been hampered by a revolving door of line mates) and Hutton, none have been given real opportunities to contribute. McCann is still stuck with plugs, Baer is all over the lineup (including off completely), Jake is in an ok role but needs to be allowed to develop his offensive game and not just hit, and Gaunce/Shink/Grenier get a cup of coffee, four minutes, and a plane ticket back to Utica. 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Snow probably set the price so high he knows he's not gonna get anyone to bite. I don't think he wants to trade him during the season.

He'll probably wait until after free agency to see what his replacement options are.

yeah i expect the price to come down, hamonic did say he was willing to finish the season so the islanders are not pressed to move him quickly. If he isnt moved by the trade deadline though the islanders will have to take what they can get

21 hours ago, CANUCK-EXPRESS said:

Top d in return. Personally I would prefer Hamonic to Tanev or Edler. Hamonic brings a much better physical game than either player and brings it regularly. He stands up for teammates which no one on the back end does right now.

He has offensive skill and crease clearing ability. I hope Benning refused because Snow asked for a prospect along with the defenseman going the other way, because otherwise, he made a mistake passing that up.

As for Tanev being captain material, I just don't see it.

Benning deciding to "stick with what we've got" is adding creedence to the notion of there being a stealth tank at play. No GM in his right mind would think that the present Canucks d corps could get a team anywhere near a playoff spot. 

50 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Top d in return. Personally I would prefer Hamonic to Tanev or Edler. Hamonic brings a much better physical game than either player and brings it regularly. He stands up for teammates which no one on the back end does right now.

He has offensive skill and crease clearing ability. I hope Benning refused because Snow asked for a prospect along with the defenseman going the other way, because otherwise, he made a mistake passing that up.

I would give him an A though. Quiet leadership.

55 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Edler would waive, he'd be my first choice.  Tanev, makes whom ever he plays with better.  He's one we need to keep.

watching the montreal Islander game an just drooling over Hammonic his point shot power play an rushes up ice seems to have ability to get his shot to goal low on ice from the point love his game.I wish we could acquire him with out giving up some of our good D assets to bad for us he would help this back end in Van .

13 minutes ago, bobbyg43 said:

watching the montreal Islander game an just drooling over Hammonic his point shot power play an rushes up ice seems to have ability to get his shot to goal low on ice from the point love his game.I wish we could acquire him with out giving up some of our good D assets to bad for us he would help this back end in Van .

Edler?

Archived